Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone own one of these bikes? My local dealer has a really good deal on a new one and I'm seriously thinking about picking it up as second bike to my boardwalk. I've checked out several forums about that bike and the only issues I found were valve lifter issues on some pre-2010 bikes and 3rd gear issues on bike even older. Maintenance is not as easy as a victory (you have to pull the seat to check the oil dipstick!) Any opinions or info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Good bikes with plenty of power. A buddy of mine picked up a new, old stock one for around $12K or $13K. He weighs about 50 pounds more than me but can "keep up" pretty well with my bike. Do a search on my moniker (ndabunka) and Dyno if you want to see the power results of his bike before and after a tuner was added.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
They are popular with some folks. Sorry. I don't know much about them but do like the way they look. My first all street bike was a Yammy 650 that ran great and looked a lot like a Triumph or BSA vertical twin.

Have you asked this question on a Yammy forum?

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Anyone own one of these bikes? My local dealer has a really good deal on a new one and I'm seriously thinking about picking it up as second bike to my boardwalk. I've checked out several forums about that bike and the only issues I found were valve lifter issues on some pre-2010 bikes and 3rd gear issues on bike even older. Maintenance is not as easy as a victory (you have to pull the seat to check the oil dipstick!) Any opinions or info would be appreciated.
The Yamis use a dry sump. It is a two step process to fill the oil, which all gets sucked up into a bucket under the seat when the bike is off.

I owned a Warrior with the same basic engine. It was a decent bike. It made nice power, but vibrated enough to put my hands to sleep just on the way to work when traveling over 80 mph. That may have been at least in part because I changed the handlebars from stock. I had to change a lot on that bike because it was an ergonomic nightmare as delivered.

Yamis have great brakes, though IIRC the Strats don't have ABS. One knock I can remember about them was less efficiency and fuel capacity than their rivals. On the flip side, they make more power. The tank mounted speedo was also cited for requiring looking away from the road to view it.

My wife has never been keen on the seat on them either. Driver's perch feels pretty good though.

Personally, I've never been a fan of their styling, but to each his own. I always thought the Road Star was a good looking machine. IMO, all they needed to do was develop some pipes for it that straddle the machine so as to allow more capacious luggage to be added. Instead they made an art deco locomotive.

WTH, a bargain is a bargain and chances are pretty slim that a Yami is going to give you a problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Test rode one when I was wanting to sell my Valkyrie. Liked the looks but after a few miles of interstate riding with the stock bars my hands were numb. Might have been how the bike was tuned. My wife agrees with saddlebags wife about the riders seat. We would have had to sink a lot of money into it to make it right for touring so it didn't make the top three picks.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I test rode one along with a Kawasaki Vaquero, my Vic, and something else. Anyway, the Yami was great in all respects except for the vibrations. There wasn't much for virbation reduction when at highway speeds. Especially through my feet.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Riding group

I am still a member of the local Star chapter and we have several that ride a Strat. I have ridden one of the members bike. They have a ton of torque which leads to a short rear tire life. They tend to eat tires like you eat potato chips. 7k on a rear is normal. Two of them have had to rebuild the transmissions which is a $3,000 repair. Depending on your height you might need to change the handlebars or add pullbacks and the seat on most Star bikes requires an upgrade. Don't get me wrong, they are a great bike just go in with your eyes open that the price you buy it for is only the beginning. cheers

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am still a member of the local Star chapter and we have several that ride a Strat. I have ridden one of the members bike. They have a ton of torque which leads to a short rear tire life. They tend to eat tires like you eat potato chips. 7k on a rear is normal. Two of them have had to rebuild the transmissions which is a $3,000 repair. Depending on your height you might need to change the handlebars or add pullbacks and the seat on most Star bikes requires an upgrade. Don't get me wrong, they are a great bike just go in with your eyes open that the price you buy it for is only the beginning. cheers
thanks for the info, i thought i read something on the forums about short rear tire life

·
Registered
636 Posts
A buddy of mine in Phoenix has one.... It is fast and loud.....he loves it......

·
Registered
21 Posts
I bought a new 2006 Strat S. Rode it 5 yrs, 60,000 mi. Great bike with great power stock. Since moving to 2011 Vic XC I miss the power but love the comfort of the XC. Big problem is resale value. Never had 1 problem. Got valves adjusted at 30,000 mi.

·
Registered
43 Posts
2007 Stratoliner

I owned an 07 a while back.
Pros: massive amounts of power. Ample room to stretch out and it's a beautiful bike
Cons: if I recall correctly, the gas mileage was very poor. There was something about the handlebar layout that made my hands much numer than Other rides. Third gear was troublesome and the clincher, for me was trying to look down at the speedo at 70 mph with a full face helmet. That was always scary to me.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I owned an 07 a while back.
Pros: massive amounts of power. Ample room to stretch out and it's a beautiful bike
Cons: if I recall correctly, the gas mileage was very poor. There was something about the handlebar layout that made my hands much numer than Other rides. Third gear was troublesome and the clincher, for me was trying to look down at the speedo at 70 mph with a full face helmet. That was always scary to me.
Yep, fuel economy under 40MPG and only a 4 gallon tank means lots of stops for "go juice". My buddy wishes his had another gear for cruising and I agree that "living with" that tank speedo would have driven me crazy as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts