Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm a new member and just bought an '11 XC. I'll be picking it up in a week and heading over the course of 2-3 days, back to Austin.

I've done the I-10 drive and pretty much remember that I want to avoid it...probably because of the high chance for rain along the whole route as for anything. Although, having a rep for being a drug corrider, probably ups my chances for getting stopped if I happen to be going a little too fast.

Basically, the question is, if commit heresy and go the interstate route, would the extra miles on I-20 be worth the weather and asset forfeiture happy police avoidance?

Are there a few diversions along either interstate that I should not miss...as far as entertaining roads? I've done the battleship, etc. in Mobile. I've eaten the best food in the country in New Orleans.

I really only have 3 days to make this ride, so partial interstate can't be avoided. I also want to make sure that any overnights, are in a safe place/town.

Thanks for any suggestions for the newbie. It's certainly not my first ride, nor trip along the Southeastern coast, but I don't think I will see many opportunities to ride this area in the next few years, and don't want to miss the best stuff.

Regards,
Checknsix

·
Registered
511 Posts
Hey guys,
I'm a new member and just bought an '11 XC. I'll be picking it up in a week and heading over the course of 2-3 days, back to Austin.

I've done the I-10 drive and pretty much remember that I want to avoid it...probably because of the high chance for rain along the whole route as for anything. Although, having a rep for being a drug corrider, probably ups my chances for getting stopped if I happen to be going a little too fast.

Basically, the question is, if commit heresy and go the interstate route, would the extra miles on I-20 be worth the weather and asset forfeiture happy police avoidance?

Are there a few diversions along either interstate that I should not miss...as far as entertaining roads? I've done the battleship, etc. in Mobile. I've eaten the best food in the country in New Orleans.

I really only have 3 days to make this ride, so partial interstate can't be avoided. I also want to make sure that any overnights, are in a safe place/town.

Thanks for any suggestions for the newbie. It's certainly not my first ride, nor trip along the Southeastern coast, but I don't think I will see many opportunities to ride this area in the next few years, and don't want to miss the best stuff.

Regards,
Checknsix
If you are worried about asset forfeiture maybe you could make this run without your drugs this time?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Here's what you need to do. Ride with the traffic on I10 all the way to San Antonio. Speed limit varies from 70-75 all the way and most traffic will be running at 80. Be sure to slow down whenever I10 goes through little towns, especially nearing San Antonio.

When you get to SA, go west two hours on 90. At Sabinal, go north on 127, dip over to 83, and then ride into Leakey. Leakey is the southeast corner of the Three Sisters. It isn't the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it is a great ride--borderline unbelievable for Texas.

Google or YourTube "Three Sisters and Texas hill country." The Sisters takes about two, two and half hours to complete. Reward yourself with a cold beer and cheeseburger back in Leakey, then wind yourself northest back up through the hill country back to Austin. Be sure to look up the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum on your way back to Austin. The Sisters/hill country ride redeems the otherwise boring ride in from Houston on I10. And beats the hell out of anything you'll see on on I20.

rp

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey guys,

Regards,
Checknsix
Hilton Head SC to Huntington Beach Ca. in about 3 1/2 days last year about this time. Only unpleasant memory was Houston rush hour traffic 102 deg/85% humidity,no rain and I wasn't incarcerated or mugged.Best part of that stretch was US 98 along Fla. Gulf Coast line up to Pensacola.I10-I8 all the way to San Diego.I didn't go through Austin but close.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's what you need to do. Ride with the traffic on I10 all the way to San Antonio. Speed limit varies from 70-75 all the way and most traffic will be running at 80. Be sure to slow down whenever I10 goes through little towns, especially nearing San Antonio.

When you get to SA, go west two hours on 90. At Sabinal, go north on 127, dip over to 83, and then ride into Leakey. Leakey is the southeast corner of the Three Sisters. It isn't the Blue Ridge Parkway, but it is a great ride--borderline unbelievable for Texas.

Google or YourTube "Three Sisters and Texas hill country." The Sisters takes about two, two and half hours to complete. Reward yourself with a cold beer and cheeseburger back in Leakey, then wind yourself northest back up through the hill country back to Austin. Be sure to look up the Lone Star Motorcycle Museum on your way back to Austin. The Sisters/hill country ride redeems the otherwise boring ride in from Houston on I10. And beats the hell out of anything you'll see on on I20.

rp
You know Thumbgone, I really like the way you think. Great idea!
The Three Sisters has been on my list for a while now. Maybe hit the Grey Moss Inn and I can sneak back into town on 1431.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts