Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to wear my 1/2 helmet, but I cannot find goggles to go over my glasses. I've tried on a bunch and they crush my glasses into my face. One pair fit well, but had crappy foam on the back that didn't stop them from digging into my face like an open tuna can being shoved into my forehead and cheeks. So, I'm looking for some recommendations- I'm trying to stay away from the large Ski-type but I'm running out of options.

I have a great full face, and then I bought another 1/2 helmet with the flip down visor- didn't work for me. Tons of wind came in and my eyes water like crazy.

Pics and pricing is welcome-
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I use the Red Baron type WWI fighter ace flying goggles on serious long trips, shaded set and clear set,....otherwise polarised sunnies and at night a pair of clear safety glasses:nerd

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do any of them go Over The Glasses?

I have to wear prescription glasses- I've ridden in my old riding glasses and I get headaches and see double- doable for short periods but after a while it's headache time. Then getting to the destination and putting on my scripts and then going back to the non-script glasses it's really rough.

I'm looking for some replies regarding goggles that fit over your glasses.

BTW- these are the safety glasses I used to wear before my eyes got worse- They're from Stihl and I got them in amber tint. I have a really comfy pair of safety glasses in clear from Home Depot- nice. I digress- still want info on OTG Goggles.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
I used to ride without a windshield until I got my first bike with one. I haven't ridden without one since but when I did I had the same problem you did plus the glasses would bounce around as well as watering eyes. Wrap around prescription glasses helped a bunch but I had to have two pair; one clear and one dark.

Something like these goggles is an alternative and they have switchable clear/dark lenses.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Over-Glasses-Motorcycle-Goggles-Interchangeable/dp/B000MT7OSK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=CSEWS7J7K3X&keywords=over+glasses+motorcycle+goggles&qid=1559143368&s=automotive&sprefix=over+glasses%2Cautomotive%2C211&sr=1-4[/ame]

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Guys- I've tried on a few pairs-

Guard Dogs- Evader 2. These were the better fit, but the foam was cheap and they just crushed into my face while riding.

Bobster Night Hawks- great quality, nice two-stage foam on the back, but they hit my glasses and pushed them hard into my face.

I appreciate the interest in this thread, but I'm looking for people actually using OTG goggles- what they are, how they fit, and what they cost.

Please keep replies to that for the time being.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
It sounds like you need to hear from people that wear the exact same prescription glasses frames as you do; not the different goggles.

What exactly is the problem? Do the goggles not fit over your glasses? You need to give us more to work with if you're expecting any kind of helpful info.

From what I'm reading; it sounds like you need different glasses; not different goggles. Any good quality goggles should work.

Or, if you wanted to make it easy on yourself, a windshield. I used to run a little Tombstone style handlebar windshield. It made all the difference. (not me in pic)

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My glasses' temples are 135mm wide. They are rectangular in shape.

I don't want a windshield, and I don't want to wear a 1/2 helmet with the flip down shield as that doesn't work for me.

I'm looking to talk to people that actually use OTG goggles. I really didn't think this would be a difficult topic. Obviously, people like me with a need for them would have probably tried a few pairs on- they may recommend features or benefits of those that they've tried. I figured I could compare notes, or in the least, look up on Amazon the pair they were using to see if I should try them out.

I appreciate the suggestions about windshields, but that's not what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
244 Posts
Years back before I had corrective PRK done I used to wear glasses and I wore Wiley X "Spear" goggles over my glasses. My glasses were not very large (Army issued black plastic frames) so I had good luck with those. I hope this helps. Good luck.

Skin

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I know you are trying to keep this on the topic of OTG goggles but I'm going to offer another alternative that you probably already know about but perhaps not. You can get prescription lens goggles. I know snow skiers who use these. I'm sure they are not cheap but in the event you cannot find suitable OTG goggles, these could be an alternative. Best of luck.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Tried OTG, Went With Prescription

You sound set against this, but I'm with @Vinish and some others here.

Back in 2017, I wanted OTG, possibly for riding (although I wear a full flip-up helmet, and with a built-in drop-down sun visor) but mostly for lawn mowing and weed whacking, as I've become more sensitive to pollen and stuff, and more concerned with errant weed-whacked debris.

In any case, I bought these three OTG from Amazon:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SHWWN4/

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NOKNKA/

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU3EB6/

All of these got reasonable reviews, and I gave them all a shot. And I returned all three within the month, and got my credit. I didn't like the fit and the clunkiness -- all of them.

(Aside #1: I don't know my frame size or eye center-to-center distance, but I have a fairly large head, if that matters. I take XL or XXL in helmets, for instance.)

So I went to my regular local optician, and got some Wiley X goggles, prescription, with foam backing:

These have worked great, and I do in fact wear them mowing and weed whacking, every time. They're comfortable, and do the job.

(Aside #2: I normally wear bifocals, but got these with just the distance prescription; it's not as if I do any reading with them on. I also got them with a slight tint, but I forget the percentage.)

(Final aside: I also wear custom-molded silicone ear plugs while riding, and wear those same plugs while mowing the lawn. So those are double-duty, although I certainly digress here.)

Executive summary: I really did try three(!) OTG goggles, and opted instead for prescriptions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i appreciate the thought of the RX riding glasses... my glasses have prisms in them- my glasses were almost $800. I'd rather put under $100 into a pair of goggles- though, no doubt, the RX riding glasses would be much more comfortable.

If only it was a simple near- or far-sighted issue.

I have astigmatisms, no pigmentation in my vitreous humor, and my left eye is off- requiring a prism to bring the image into proper alignment. You probably picture Sloth from the Goonies, but you cannot tell from looking at me. But trust me- the thought of having a rock ping off of an $800 pair of goggles would make me sick to think about.

I do appreciate it though. I've thought about it- you know, back when my lenses only cost me $500. But now? No way.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
i appreciate the thought of the RX riding glasses... my glasses have prisms in them- my glasses were almost $800. I'd rather put under $100 into a pair of goggles- though, no doubt, the RX riding glasses would be much more comfortable.

If only it was a simple near- or far-sighted issue.

I have astigmatisms, no pigmentation in my vitreous humor, and my left eye is off- requiring a prism to bring the image into proper alignment. You probably picture Sloth from the Goonies, but you cannot tell from looking at me. But trust me- the thought of having a rock ping off of an $800 pair of goggles would make me sick to think about.

I do appreciate it though. I've thought about it- you know, back when my lenses only cost me $500. But now? No way.
Ah, thanks for that additional info, which certainly explains your requirements.

You might start with the www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GU3EB6/ and see if it works for you. If not, send it back, and go from there.

·
Registered
255 Posts
You may want to broaden your search and look under Skydiving goggles. They make several types in some cool shapes that go over glasses

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
You may want to broaden your search and look under Skydiving goggles. They make several types in some cool shapes that go over glasses
That would be a good solution, coz when you jump out of a airplane you need to see your clocks and gauges, ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This may be the solution! If they keep enough wind out at terminal velocity, should be good on the road!
And, they are super cheap- less than $20. They come in clear and smoke.

I think I'll try them out!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,285 Posts
You might try - Windshield Off-Road Glasses, # GG33180, by Global Vision. I am happy with the pair I use.

Best wishes for miles full of smiles.
Had to look that up.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Windshield-Goggle-Kit-Over-Prescription-Glasses/dp/B000MS8GP6[/ame]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts