Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I along with some friends and four family members of our friends are on a cruise to Alaska. We are having a great time. On an excursion today from Juneau, we saw humpback whales waving their tales prior to diving for food, saw Stellar sea lions sunning on a navigational buoy, saw hundreds of bald eagles, and lastly saw a mother bear with her three cubs. Below are pictures of the critters from today's excursion.

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
That sounds great!

I'd love to do that one day.

·
Registered
4,067 Posts
My wife would be SO jealous if she saw this post.... and I'm barely holding it together LOL

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
What a fantastic place, we were there a few years ago.

Enjoy!!

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
We were there last year at this time and were told less than 10% of the tourists get to see all of Denali, The Great One. Sometimes, being in the minority is a good thing,

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm not sure that any one person has ever seen all of Denali. I just hope t catch a glimpse through the clouds of the summit.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Anyone going to Alaska HAS to schedule a flight on the Five Glaciers Float Plane Tour. Very interesting and educational as well. You will come away doubting the global warming thing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We went on an 8-hr tour of Denali National Park today. It was fabulous. We saw three of the "big five" animals. We saw grizzly bear, caribou, and Dall Sheep. We were also part of the lucky 30% who get to actually see Mt. Denali. We were able to see about 95% of the mountain. Only the very top of the two peaks were obscured by the weather. Below are various pictures Mylilpony took. The Dall sheep were only seen at a very long distance since they stay really high up in the near vertical sides of the mountains so I did not include a picture of them. They looked like small white dots but wow can they move up and down steep faces of mountains. Below you can see the bear, caribou, mountain, and our smiling faces.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We probably saw 10 bears, a dozen caribou, many little white dots up in the mountains (Dall Sheep), lots of impressive mountains and other scenery, and the big mountain. At one bear sighting, we saw a mother bear with two large cubs (2-4 years old). Here is a picture of them.

So far, I would highly recommend going to Alaska to anyone who can. The actual cruise was just okay. It was my first ever cruise and the Royal Caribbean cruise line made me feel more like a wallet than a guest. Everything on the ship was designed to squeeze another dollar (or hundred) out of you. Even worse, many of the cruise line policies seem, at best, disingenuous and appear designed to trick you out of more money.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I am starting the planning for a trip to Alaska next year. No cruise for us but plan on flying in and renting a car and hop around the state for a couple of weeks. We were going to to Alaska this year but didn't realize how quickly hotels book up months ahead of time so instead we went to Ireland for 2 weeks.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Many of the national park tours and other excursions also book up VERY early since the cruise lines reserve a large fraction of these for the people doing excursions from their ships or from their associated land tours that people go on either before or after their cruises. Be aware that the main road connecting Anchorage to Fairbanks is two-lane most of the way so traffic can be moving slow. Plan your timing accordingly to get places on the roads in Alaska.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On our last day in Alaska we took an incredible 5.5 hr jet boat ride up the Chulitna River to Devil's Gorge. We passed through Class 1 to V rapids and then this huge jet boat with three Cummings diesel engines with a combined 1000+ hp held us in place just sort of weaving and wobbling back and forth while the 40 people (and two crew) took pictures of the upper end of the Class V rapids and the start of Class VI rapids. Below are some pics of this. On the 65 miles up the river to the rapids we saw over a dozen bald eagles including one about to take flight shown below and about 10 black bears including the blurry picture below. We saw no moose. That is the only big Alaska critter we have not seen. We still have our glass top train ride from Talkeetna to Anchorage tonight. There are supposed to be lots of moose sightings on this train ride.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
@Vinish what a beautiful trip , really a amaizing country side

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Didn't do the jet boat, but did the White Pass RR. So many things to do.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We also road the White Pass Railroad from Skagway into Canada (Yukon).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts