Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have had my very dependable Chev Avalanche 4x4 14 years now and only have 90K on it but wanted a new smaller pick up. Been all over looking and test driving but after driving the new Ranger I gotta say WOW.. That Turbo has guts. Probably going to play it safe with a new Honda Ridgeline or Chevy Colorado or possibly consider leasing a Ranger EcoBoost till they get the bugs figured out. I think KISS and like big naturally aspirated V8's but It was So fun to drive and so surprising. The complexity and added maintenance is not appealing but driving it is. Have to research what a good lease entails. I have always purchased new and kept for 10-15 years then repeat. Started with almost buying a new LARGE PU but really have no need for it and the parking spaces and city driving/parking is getting more difficult.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
I like the mid-size Colorado 4 door and if I bought a NEW Ranger I'd want the 4 door. I sold my full-size Ford F150 Supercrew 4 door about 5 weeks ago only because I couldn't justify keeping it for the occasional use when I had a utility trailer and towing package on my other vehicles.

The new Ranger is rather expensive but then I guess new full-size pickup are too at $50k plus.

I just checked and the Colorado and Ranger are about the same price. I'm not a fan of turbo charged engines because the trade off is a shorter engine life usually for that extra power if the engine wasn't overbuilt to handle it like a diesel is. A small diesel in a mid-size pickup truck would be perfect. Good for 400k miles and lots of torque but for some reason, probably the EPA, we don't have that luxury here.

If leased though; it wouldn't matter because in 3 years you give it back and just get a new one. I did the lease thing one time. Since I didn't own a business I couldn't write off the cost plus I had to worry about every little parking lot ding which I would have pay out of pocket for when I turned it in. At the time I could only go 12k miles per year without having to pay extra out of pocket for more miles and it wasn't cheap.

That's my .02 cents and worth the price you paid for it. :D

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
1-1/2 years ago the purchase of a heavy duty diesel truck to tow my RVs changed me forever. Doing everything from daily driving to towing/hauling/working with the truck is such a joy.

If I didn't really NEED a heavy duty rig, I would look at the Ram Eco-Diesel 1500.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Good info HC. I would definitely look at these new Dodge trucks if looking at NEW trucks; even if looking at mid-sized trucks. I see a lot of RAM trucks where I live so I know they are built well. I heard a couple of people saying the local Ford dealership salespeople were so rude they just walked away, went to the Dodge lot, and bought a new RAM - each. I guess they think people don't have a choice. Stupid thinking on the Ford's part IMHO.

In the past the Dodge trucks had a bad reputation for weak brakes and weak drivetrain's. Looks like they fixed those issues some time ago. They look every bit as good as what GM or Ford has to offer too.

With a towing capacity of over 12.5k; I bet these new V6 diesels sell well but I do want to see price and mpg numbers first. Imagine one of these diesel engines in a mid-sized truck like Colorado or Ranger. Yowza! Especially an off road version.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
Used to be a die-hard chevy fan, but in recent years have gone Ram. I've had 3 1500's and currently have a 3500 dually with the 6.7 cummins turbo diesel - a stump puller! As far as Ford goes, their twin turbo ecoboost has alot of problems (as told to me by a friend that had one) and the cost to repair any damage on those aluminum beds are crazy - definitely not a fan.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Used to be a die-hard chevy fan, but in recent years have gone Ram. I've had 3 1500's and currently have a 3500 dually with the 6.7 cummins turbo diesel - a stump puller! As far as Ford goes, their twin turbo ecoboost has alot of problems (as told to me by a friend that had one) and the cost to repair any damage on those aluminum beds are crazy - definitely not a fan.
Been a Ford guy for a LONG time. I drove them all when we went shopping for a new tow rig and I just preferred the Ram, inside and out, over the GMC or Ford. You'll know what I mean when I say the Cummins is all business. Truck weighs 8222 with us in it and full of fuel but it will MOVE.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Yep read all your comments and there are compromises with all. I had a sweet deal on a new 2019 crew cab F-150 V8 XLT with leather but being the practical type could not justify big truck for no reason other than Costco shopping so I came out of the ether in time and left it on the table, last day of the month shopping - boy was that fun! Just don't trust long term the ecoboost so was looking to lease (never leased before) until I trust it and then could give it back or buy it to keep. But I would know the reliability and maint issues I was facing with it. Never rented one long term like that. Wish the Honda Ridgeline drove like the Ranger and came in the Ford blue I really like! Oh well. My deal will come along when someone buys my low Mileage Avalanche or maybe I should just get a new-old school 6 cylinder Frontier stick shift for fun or keep my Chebby and buy a lightly used blue stick shift C7 Vette! LOL

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
Something tells me the C7 is going to be a keeper with the new C8 being mid-engine. Purists/traditionalists won't want the mid-engine C8 so as far as they are concerned the Vette ended with the 2019 model year.

I personally like the new Vette but then I'm weird that way. People always want progress but they rarely want change. I guess most of us are weird that way.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I like the Dodges. I had an 02 1500 from about 2012 to 2016. Rear fenders started doing the Dodge Rust thing, and the electrical system went to hell. If I were to get another truck, I'd like another Dodge but I'm hesitant now because of those issues. Hear a lot of folks have electrical issues on those older Dodges, and the generation after that (2009 and up) are also starting to show signs of the same thing.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
I like the Dodges. I had an 02 1500 from about 2012 to 2016. Rear fenders started doing the Dodge Rust thing, and the electrical system went to hell. If I were to get another truck, I'd like another Dodge but I'm hesitant now because of those issues. Hear a lot of folks have electrical issues on those older Dodges, and the generation after that (2009 and up) are also starting to show signs of the same thing.
One thing I noticed on youtube is there's always someone with a beef against one make or another. Frequently they are well spoken and somewhat believable but mostly wrong. They are pissed off at the mother company so they go on rants and tirades to try and hurt them. Meh. I take them with a grain of salt. On the other side of the coin there are those who push one make over all others which gets a bit old too.

One of the best rigs ever made, the 3rd gen Toyota 4Runner, didn't come with any kind of coating on the undercarriage so those that spent time in snow country where they salt the roads frequently have major rust issues to the point of making them worthless without major work done. Such a silly thing to overlook. They had undercoating products from 96-2002 so there's no real excuse. I guess it was an option that wasn't pushed enough.

I've been a Be American Buy American guy for the better part of my life but about 12 years ago I realized the Japanese have done a better job at quality control. I still like American made products but there's a reason the resale on an 02 Toyota Tacoma is 2 to 3 times more than a comparable Ford Ranger or Chevy S10. They just work, are super reliable, and last dang near forever. If Honda made a mid-sized truck for the American market; I'd look hard at them too.

If I were going to buy a new mid-sized truck today; it would be the Tacoma. If I lived in snow country or enjoyed adventure stuff that might get me in sticky places; it would be a 4x4.

I think they put too many bells and whistles in new cars and trucks today. Some are good like the NAV/Stereo with the touch screen display but others are just overkill. The more basic they are; the less things can go wrong.

See! Wanting progress but not change. :)

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
I like the Dodges
As stated, I was a Ford guy. My electrician, Billy, was driving a 3500 Ram Dually with Cummins and he sent me a picture of the odometer turning over 500,000 miles.

Billy recently traded it for a new F-350 Dually because he tends to beat up the fender extensions on the bed and the ones on the Ford can be replaced, where the Ram's are integral to the bed. I can't get him to come right out and say it, but I think he wishes he had gone Ram 3500 with the high-output Cummins and Aisin transmission... because he parks right next to a brand new one on the job... and I guarantee the Ram was cheaper to buy... and he's not thrilled with the Ford's interior. The Ram just feels like home as soon as you sit in it. The Ford? Well, you get used to it.

·
Premium Member
13,057 Posts
If you want good resale value, get a diesel. Go price a used diesel with 100K miles or less... you'll see.
Very true but they are full size. I see full size diesel pickups on Craigslist with an asking price 3 times what the gas engine models of the same year go for. That's across the board with all makes.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
My 2016 rig:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
New truck Buying

SemperVee...I have a 2015 Chevy Colorado with the V6 (305 HP) Crew Cab with Z71 package....bought new and has almost 50,000 miles on it and it runs great. It's fast and gets good mileage and pulls my 21 foot camper great with NO problems at 70 mph on 2--1,000 mile round trips . Totally satisfied and wouldn't have anything else.....Right now no one in the midsize to small truck department can beat it. IMHO.
As for those who brag about their trucks running for a long time with their Diesel engines, they do go and go .... but the engines in either one "Aren't" made by them. Whereas GM makes their own Diesel Engines which are smoother and quieter.....They are basing trucks longevity on the engine alone and to me there are other factors involved in last ability of a truck.... Guess you could say I'm a Die Hard GM man. :grin

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
but the engines in either one "Aren't" made by them. Whereas GM makes their own Diesel Engines
The Duramax is built jointly by GM and Isuzu. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Cummins is a very large and respected manufacturer of diesel engines and the 6.7L pick-up engine is made in USA. You can't go wrong with a Cummins inline 6 turbo-diesel. Their engines, up to 15 liters, power everything from tractor/trailer rigs to cranes to heavy equipment. Ram getting their engines from Cummins was a smart move. When people open a hood and see "CUMMINS" it gives them confidence, not apprehension.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My wife has had a real good run from her 2014 VW Amarok twin turbo diesel dualcab. No turbo lag with the twin turbos, goes anywhere that it's predecessor 95 Jeep Cherokee would go, carries 1 tonne, roomy inside, I'm 6'2".
Biggest tub in it's class, better ride than a Colorado. 120,000 kms and counting.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
My wife has had a real good run from her 2014 VW Amarok twin turbo diesel dualcab. No turbo lag with the twin turbos, goes anywhere that it's predecessor 95 Jeep Cherokee would go, carries 1 tonne, roomy inside, I'm 6'2".
Biggest tub in it's class, better ride than a Colorado. 120,000 kms and counting.
I don't think they sell those in the US...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts