Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
broke out

Ran a 13.78on a 13.87 dial in last Sundays Nostalgia drags.
Funny feeling crossing the line in the Buick 455 just ahead of a very angry Dodge Charger that runs to within a hundredth.
Then picking up timeslip to find Ive lost!��

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Well Im made the most of a difficult situation
Nursed the benz into Walcha and the trans is VERY sick, just about dead and engine oil light came on too in the end. not game to drive further,
walked into local truck co. and talked to the old owner , he said I can park the benz in his locked security yard and told me to drive his Triton ute up to the local car yard where I met the owner Peter who had a subaru forester that been driven backwards into the local hardware store by its 90 yr old owner via the front window! 2 months rego and $800 it should get me and my buick wheel home.
So I wheeled my wheel into the bar and booked a room and peter dropped the Subaru off here for me.
He also lined up the guy that transports his cars to pick the Benz up and truck it to Currumbin for $500....
thats the long story short version....
unfukinbelievable but true😁
Ok a few days later....
Im home! Subaru did the job valiantly.
msgd the guy that sold me the Benz and
he said hes sad to hear what happened and if I get it back to him in Sydney ( i pay for the tow $500, then he will refund my purchase price in full🙂) hows that!
Jusy put 4 new tyres on Subaru Forester and Ill change engine oil and filter tomoz.
All in all looking like a very happy ending to a terrific adventure!
pix
Benz at sisters farm as I lube the throttle to get a decent idle, was wishfully thinking it was all gonna be well at this stage.
Lucky to score this cheap Subie thats been driven backwards through a hardware store!
The Subie after I 800 and buffed the blue paint off it then gave it a good wash and pulled a few dents.
The Buick Skylark GS Stage 1 original spare wheel from 1971 thats never been on the car, picked it up from the guy I bought the car off over a year ago whilst I was in town...
when Benz fried the auto trans and just limped into Walcha a small bush town where everyones friendly and no one locks anything and theres zero crime.
I wheeled the Buick wheel into the Public Bar on a Friday night as the locals were downing schooners of beer...." I could tell you but you wouldnt beleive me!" I said as I wheeled it in through the saloon doors!
last pic is just for fun..a manic Christine!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,299 Posts
I'd love to live somewhere where no one locks their doors and there's zero crime but also didn't have ungodly long cold winters.

Good score on the Subaru. Bummer and about the Benz. It's a sharp car. Classy. This is the downside to having older cars. That and parts start getting hard to find; just like our Victory's.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I'd love to live somewhere where no one locks their doors and there's zero crime but also didn't have ungodly long cold winters.

Good score on the Subaru. Bummer and about the Benz. It's a sharp car. Classy. This is the downside to having older cars. That and parts start getting hard to find; just like our Victory's.
like our Victorys? what cant you get?
not talking farkles here but real consumable parts...what cant you get ?

·
Premium Member
13,299 Posts
like our Victorys? what cant you get?
not talking farkles here but real consumable parts...what cant you get ?
I'm not going to make a list but if you really want to know; go on the Victory Facebook page to see all the ISO (In Search Of) items. We see them here too.

It's not terrible but a lot of stuff is simply no longer available new. This will increase over time and we know it but still hang on to them.

When something like a drive belt is no longer available; it will become quite apparent. Accessories through Victory are almost all gone. Supposedly replacement parts were to be available till 2027 but we know that was BS. Lots of parts are no longer available now.

My hope is the aftermarket will see value in making parts as needed. Time will tell.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I'm not going to make a list but if you really want to know; go on the Victory Facebook page to see all the ISO (In Search Of) items. We see them here too.

It's not terrible but a lot of stuff is simply no longer available new. This will increase over time and we know it but still hang on to them.

When something like a drive belt is no longer available; it will become quite apparent. Accessories through Victory are almost all gone. Supposedly replacement parts were to be available till 2027 but we know that was BS. Lots of parts are no longer available now.

My hope is the aftermarket will see value in making parts as needed. Time will tell.
Not on farcebook nor do I desire to be.
Bet its mostly accessories and farkles.
Drive belts last a bloody long time and I reckon theyll always be around, if not go reduction pulley and the Buell belt, win win situation.
Every bike Ive owned prior to Victory was obsolete.
Im not worried at all.
Fearmongering is rife in this world, possibly largely fuelled by farcebookers.
as the great philosopher Monty Python once said " Always look on the bright side of Life!"
😀

·
Registered
153 Posts
Not on farcebook nor do I desire to be.
Bet its mostly accessories and farkles.
Drive belts last a bloody long time and I reckon theyll always be around, if not go reduction pulley and the Buell belt, win win situation.
Every bike Ive owned prior to Victory was obsolete.
Im not worried at all.
Fearmongering is rife in this world, possibly largely fuelled by farcebookers.
as the great philosopher Monty Python once said " Always look on the bright side of Life!"
😀
One of my mates have had that played at their funeral. It set an appropriate tone for the wake afterwards.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Hey BBob, I'm about to put my 60 acres at Obi Obi on the market. For only 749,000 Australian Pesos you can live in a place like that. Sure we get some winter nights down to -5C but generally winter days are sunny and dry. We get most of our rain in summer. Off the grid, no shortage of firewood, feral deer are starting to wander in, canoeable creek, nice community. I'll even throw in a junk Subaru that the termites are eating. You might need to buy a Triumph 1200 Scrambler.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well Im made the most of a difficult situation
Nursed the benz into Walcha and the trans is VERY sick, just about dead and engine oil light came on too in the end. not game to drive further,
walked into local truck co. and talked to the old owner , he said I can park the benz in his locked security yard and told me to drive his Triton ute up to the local car yard where I met the owner Peter who had a subaru forester that been driven backwards into the local hardware store by its 90 yr old owner via the front window! 2 months rego and $800 it should get me and my buick wheel home.
So I wheeled my wheel into the bar and booked a room and peter dropped the Subaru off here for me.
He also lined up the guy that transports his cars to pick the Benz up and truck it to Currumbin for $500....
thats the long story short version....
unfukinbelievable but true😁
Ok a few days later....
Im home! Subaru did the job valiantly.
msgd the guy that sold me the Benz and
he said hes sad to hear what happened and if I get it back to him in Sydney ( i pay for the tow $500, then he will refund my purchase price in full🙂) hows that!
Jusy put 4 new tyres on Subaru Forester and Ill change engine oil and filter tomoz.
All in all looking like a very happy ending to a terrific adventure!
pix
Benz at sisters farm as I lube the throttle to get a decent idle, was wishfully thinking it was all gonna be well at this stage.
Lucky to score this cheap Subie thats been driven backwards through a hardware store!
The Subie after I 800 and buffed the blue paint off it then gave it a good wash and pulled a few dents.
The Buick Skylark GS Stage 1 original spare wheel from 1971 thats never been on the car, picked it up from the guy I bought the car off over a year ago whilst I was in town...
when Benz fried the auto trans and just limped into Walcha a small bush town where everyones friendly and no one locks anything and theres zero crime.
I wheeled the Buick wheel into the Public Bar on a Friday night as the locals were downing schooners of beer...." I could tell you but you wouldnt beleive me!" I said as I wheeled it in through the saloon doors!
last pic is just for fun..a manic Christine!
Bad luck with the Benz, great that the seller will take it back. The Walcha experience just another magic adventure, where sheet happens and you roll with it through to a great ending. Subies are great cars, although they can have an appetite for CV joints. Termites are currently eating my old one. Having seen a 1600 VW engine shoehorned into a BMW bike frame that ran around Brisbane in the late 70s, I have always wanted to try that with a Subie motor.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #52 (Edited)
Truck shopping end. Finally made a decision and purchased my 1st ever Ford Truck. Test drove all the mid size makes and was headed toward Honda Ridgeline when I did a pro and con's against the Ranger and the 2019 Ranger 4x4 crew cab won what was important against the rest of the pack, especially Honda. Arrogant HONDA does not include the wanted safety driving items until you reach the top RTL-E level of trim, and even then does not equal the FORD.
Took a leap of faith being an old V8 Chevy guy to the smile on your face when you step on it - dual scroll 310 HP 2.3 turbo EcoBoost. AMAZING. I'm an owner. *All the midsized trucks are expensive with all approaching 45-50K per mid level truck when tax and license are included. Ugh. hoping this one last me as long as my big Red Avalanche did with the same easy ownership. I love the push button folding mirrors but could use a little more storage in the cabin. Putting it mildly..

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,299 Posts
I'm super glad you're happy with the Ford. I'm more or less a Ford truck guy too. The one thing I've been hearing about the turbo eco-boost engines is they do produce good power but the trade off is a shortened engine life. No way to say definitively how long one will last but a good guesstimate is between 100k and 150k miles assuming oil changes every 5k miles using full synth and not a lot of towing. The V8 shines in this category with a long 250-350k mile expected life.

This is one of those times I hope I'm wrong and some upgrades have been done to extend the engine life somehow. Historically though; this is generally how it works with turbo'd vs naturally aspirated engines.

This technology was done to improve the overall EPA standing with the brand. All car (and motorcycle) makers do this.

Edit: I just realized this is a Ranger and not an F150. The turbo vs naturally aspirated engines still apply but with lighter weight of this truck vs an F150; you might get a longer engine life. I'm hoping so anyway.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I'm super glad you're happy with the Ford. I'm more or less a Ford truck guy too. The one thing I've been hearing about the turbo eco-boost engines is they do produce good power but the trade off is a shortened engine life. No way to say definitively how long one will last but a good guesstimate is between 100k and 150k miles assuming oil changes every 5k miles using full synth and not a lot of towing. The V8 shines in this category with a long 250-350k mile expected life.

This is one of those times I hope I'm wrong and some upgrades have been done to extend the engine life somehow. Historically though; this is generally how it works with turbo'd vs naturally aspirated engines.

This technology was done to improve the overall EPA standing with the brand. All car (and motorcycle) makers do this.

Edit: I just realized this is a Ranger and not an F150. The turbo vs naturally aspirated engines still apply but with lighter weight of this truck vs an F150; you might get a longer engine life. I'm hoping so anyway.
BBob I am too. I REALLY took a leap of faith here and did lots of reading on the EcoBoost mustang boards, Youtubes on Ecoboost and friends that have nothing bad to say - BUT being a "Simple is Better" for reliability I am really hoping this is my last truck that will run as well and as long as my Old Red Avalanche... :^) I know there is no reliable info on Twin Turbo engine life span no matter the brand but they are growing in numbers. .

·
Premium Member
13,299 Posts
BBob I am too. I REALLY took a leap of faith here and did lots of reading on the EcoBoost mustang boards, Youtubes on Ecoboost and friends that have nothing bad to say - BUT being a "Simple is Better" for reliability I am really hoping this is my last truck that will run as well and as long as my Old Red Avalanche... :^) I know there is no reliable info on Twin Turbo engine life span no matter the brand but they are growing in numbers. .
I have an older Mustang (99) so I listen to what's happening in the Mustang world with the turbo 4 banger and the 5.0 Coyote engines.

Those turbo 4 bangers produce a lot more power than my 4.6L V8. I had a 5.4L in the Ford F150 I sold a couple of months ago and that thing just powered up steep hills like they were nothing but that 4.6L with almost half the miles needs a lot more foot into the pedal to pull the same hills. They are pretty much the same modular engine with minor differences and .8L which apparently makes all the difference. Now these 4.6L engines really wake up with boost; whether that's turbo or supercharged. But again; the trade off is a shortened life span for the engine but what fun until a rod spins a bearing or blows through the block!

An interesting trivia is both the Mustang and the F150 I had have the same 4r70w transmission's and both had modular engines. I think the truck trans had thicker bands. If Ford had put the 5.4L into the Mustangs of that era instead of 4.6L; I think a lot of people would be way happier. Some folks did the swap but these days that 5.0 Coyote engine is the sweet spot. If they are taken care of and not thrashed with burnouts and too many runs down the track; they will last hundreds of thousands of miles. Even when non naturally aspirated. Nitrous is just a waste of money because the product is expensive and it has to be filled all the time. The wear and tear on the engine is debatable but I wouldn't do it.

The problem is when we combine youth with power; the end result is usually a thrashed car/truck/bike. I did it when I was young. It's fun! It's also very expensive when they break. :grin

Anyway; back to the turbo 4 Mustangs. Again, remembering how young people like to play, many of those engines are not doing well much after 80k miles. I'm pretty sure 80% of that is how they are driven. If they are driven normally and getting on it just when getting on the freeway or passing but otherwise driven more conservatively; I bet they would easily go to 150k before they show signs of nickel and dime-ing their owners. Maybe longer. Even if they need a new head gasket, it's just one head, so the job isn't all that big compared to a V6 or V8 and reconditioning the head won't be nearly as expensive.

I recently finished doing one of those V6 head gasket replacements only to find out the lower end is shot with bad rings in 2-4 cylinders. When it overheated due to a radiator hose blowing off; it annealed the rings. Not sure about the cylinder walls. The rig is in the shop getting a long block installed right now. I could have save a lot of money if I had done that in the first place. The mechanic doing the job might buy the old long block with rebuilt heads though so that might take some of the sting out of it.

Time will tell how well your new Ranger does. I have to admit I'm a little envious. I've always liked the Ranger's. I've had 3 of them. A 98 4 cyl 2.x, 99 V6 4.0L, and a 2004 4.0L V6. All good rigs but the 4 cyl was no good on hills. Just fine for flatlanders though.

It used to be recommended all turbo'd engines get oil changes every 3k miles but that was before synthetics became so popular and mainstream. Today I'd play it safe and change it every 5k miles. They may recommend 7k or even 10k but professional mechanics will say to change it at 5k. Some new vehicles don't have a transmission dip stick and the maker says it's good for the life of the vehicle. Bull puckey. The fluid is changed just like the differential with two plugs; a drain and a fill plug. Do it at 60k and that trans will last a lot longer. I like to run an external trans cooler when I can so that if the radiator has a problem and mixes coolant with trans fluid; I don't ruin the trans from the "strawberry milkshake" that can happen. The external cooler doesn't use coolant; just air flow in front of the AC condenser and the engine radiator.

Welp; I guess I've rambled on long enough. Enjoy that beautiful new truck!!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Thanks. All I need do now is find a nice locking hard Tonneau cover for a reasonable price. Moving from a BIG truck to small truck = less storage area.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts