Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 XC. Yesterday I went for a short (60 miles each way) ride. About 30 miles into the first leg of the ride I hit bumper to bumper, slow stop & go traffic. This lasted about 45 to 60 minutes. The temp on the display went to 97°. I could feel the heat off of the engine. I had no place to go, there was no shoulder or much shade. After I was able to get passed the traffic I was unable to keep the XC in gear, with the bike automatically downshifting. I tried to let the bike cool down but it was still hot over an hour later. I had a friend drive me back home and took my truck to pick up the bike.

Is this an issue?
Should I get the bike looked at?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I have a 2012 XC. Yesterday I went for a short (60 miles each way) ride. About 30 miles into the first leg of the ride I hit bumper to bumper, slow stop & go traffic. This lasted about 45 to 60 minutes. The temp on the display went to 97°. I could feel the heat off of the engine. I had no place to go, there was no shoulder or much shade. After I was able to get passed the traffic I was unable to keep the XC in gear, with the bike automatically downshifting. I tried to let the bike cool down but it was still hot over an hour later. I had a friend drive me back home and took my truck to pick up the bike.

Is this an issue?
Should I get the bike looked at?
These are manual transmissions. What do you mean by "AUTOMATICALLY" downshifting? From which gear(s)?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I mean, I had shifted up to 4th & 5th gear and the indicator on the display went down to 3rd then 2nd up to 3rd and finally down to 1st and the bike slowed down, engine revving each time.

All without me engaging the clutch or shifter.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I mean, I had shifted up to 4th & 5th gear and the indicator on the display went down to 3rd then 2nd up to 3rd and finally down to 1st and the bike slowed down, engine revving each time.

All without me engaging the clutch or shifter.
sounds like a clutch slipping problem, but it shouldn't be happening. I would look at the clutch if it were mine. how many miles are on the bike?

·
13,043 Posts
when you get stuck in stop and go traffic and its not moving always try to keep bike in neutral as much as possible
That means hand off clutch lever.
If you just hold clutch in your creating heat in the plates and it will start to slip and sooner or later you'll burn up the plates.
Hydraulic clutch is no different

Your clutch might be good to day. You can only adjust your clutch when the bike has sat over night. Adjusting when warm or hot will do you no good

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First off, thank you everyone for your responses.

I off loaded my XC this morning and test rode her, she is still not Engaging.
How do I adjust the clutch if that is what is needed?

·
Premium Member
13,313 Posts
The only adjustment you have is at the far end of the clutch cable near where it connects to the cam rod behind the rear cylinder. I generally set it for 1/8" of play in the clutch lever. Do it when the bike is cold. Of course if the plates are shot it won't do a lot of good unless your cable is adjusted too tight and is disengaging the clutch a bit. Then you might get lucky and adjust it to working again. Not riding it home may have saved the clutch plates.

·
Registered
470 Posts
you might luck up with a cable adjustment, but, I would bet the plates are fried or warped.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
What oil are you running? The 20W-40 semi synthetic Victory oil should not have given you a problem unless you were basically slipping the clutch the entire time. If you were slipping the clutch the whole time you may have glazed the clutch plates and no oil could have prevented the damage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't remember the oil, it is whatever the dealer put in.

The bike has 3500 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I too was stuck in massive traffic last week, stop and go over an hour, 88 degrees out.... My engine sounded funny, my trans sounded funny, both making strange noises . I was getting pissed because I knew I was doing my bike no good but I had no where to pull over either. my dipstick temp gauge said 250 degrees for at least 45 minutes, but my clutch never seemed to slip. My bike also was still HOT 2 hours after shutting it off, couldn't even cover it for fear of starting a fire. Put 120 miles on it yesterday, no problems thank God, heading to Laconia the middle of the week.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I sit it traffic two to three times a week. It takes me about 90 minutes to go 10 miles. I am NOT about to sit with the bike in neutral and get run over when traffic suddenly moves. With 23,000 miles, I have not experienced what is described here and I use 15w-40 Rotella. I say take the bike in. If I have to baby a bike, it is time for a new one. Good luck with this. Please keep us posted.

Ride safe.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Got caught in Denver Colorado comming back from Sturgis in 2011. It was about 95 degrees that day in stop and go traffic for about 2 hrs. with no overheating problems, or any other strange noise. Also was 114 degrees in San Angelo, TX on a Bank sign and 118 on my ambient temp gauge on my way to Sturgis loaded down. Temp didn't get below 110 until about 7:30 that evening in Lubuck Tx. Engine didn't get overheated then either, even though I was about to die from the heat. I have all the confidence in the world after that trip that these bikes are tuff and can take the heat as good or better than any other air cooled engine. thumb up

·
Registered
470 Posts
bottom line just don't slip the clutch any more than you have to, even in heavy traffic, let the car ahead get far enough away to let the clutch out, even if you have to go 6 feet and pull it in again. anytime you are moving with the clutch half pulled it is heating and wearing it.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
OP: Your clutch plates are glazed and need to be replaced. As to the cause... several ideas have already been touched on. One that hasn't been, is the possibility of improper installation at the factory.

I would check into warranty repair.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I was always taught not to leave the bike in neutral at a light or when stuck in heavy traffic. BUT..... then I talked with a mechanic who showed me what can happen to the clutch plates if its not in neutral when the outside temperature is hot. They get overheated sometimes warp and the plate material glazes over, so the friction that actually causes the transmission to move the final drive assembly slips, isnt there so much anymore, hence the crazy gear number displays and the lack of normal movement forward, if any. Doesn't matter if it is an HD, a Vic, a BMW....any air/oil cooled bike engine is gonna have that happen he told me.

I am a converted neutral user now. I am not sure I subscribe to the feeling one member had about getting run over if traffic suddenly moves. If traffic volume is that heavy and it starts to move, there will be lots of advanced warning its starting to move, so suddenly won't happen IMHO. I would take the bike in and have them look at the transmission....

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's a 2012. Call the dealer. Have them handle it. Of course that is assuming you were 't messing about then it's warranty work. It's a clutch. They don't frag in a traffic jam on a summer day or there would be clutch shops lining the boardwalk at the beach.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts