Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my 2014 XC overheated. In the 30,000 miles I've owned it, this has never happened before. I was stopped on the highway for a little over and hour for a helicopter to pick up a severely injured accident victim. Not knowing how long I was going to be stopped, I let my bike run 20-30 minutes before I shut it off. It stayed off for a bit more than a 1/2 hour before traffic started to move. When I started the bike it was hard to start and it wouldn't hold an idle. I kept it running by slightly opening the throttle. Once I started moving the bike ran well until I got home, when it ran rough once again and I was able to hear the "tick" of the lifters. I just came back from running it today and all is back to normal; normal idle and no lifter sound. I plan on running it again tomorrow to make sure all is good.

My question is to prevent overheating in the future should I have kept the bike running the entire time or should I have turned it off immediately? Or is there other suggestions that the community has to offer. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
My question is to prevent overheating in the future should I have kept the bike running the entire time or should I have turned it off immediately? Or is there other suggestions that the community has to offer. Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm not an engineer, never played one on TV, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express lately. Still, I have owned two air/oil-cooled bikes -- an R850R for three years, and an XCT for five -- and in situations like that I always just shut the bike off right away. I can't see how running while not moving would do bikes like that any good, not to mention just generating heat on me (okay, that last bit would be a good thing, I suppose, if it were very cold out, and I wanted to keep warm).

In fact, I can remember a time or two, back in those Beemer days, when with stop-and-go traffic jams as the result of an accident, I would pull off on the shoulder, and contemplate the meaning of life for a while, until things cleared up. That is, I wouldn't even participate in the game of moving forward a couple of car lengths, wait another couple of minutes, rinse and repeat, but rather chose to wait, say, 15 minutes, off to the side.

If you're waiting at a RR crossing for a train to pass, do you keep the bike running? How about in a rural construction zone, where a temporary light has been installed, because a normally two-lane road has one lane closed for repairs, and the temp light is controlling alternating lines of cars? I turn off the bike in both situations -- you?

But that's me. Let the knowledgeable folks chime in.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wspollak, years ago I was taught to always keep your vehicle running. Until yesterday, I always kept my bike running and they never overheated. I'm sure that I was lucky. As you mentioned in your post, because of the extreme heat (on me) I shut it off. I truly believe what you are telling me is correct and I will from now on immediately shut my bike off. I believe by running it for a while, then shutting it off it never was able to cool enough to run properly. Thanks for the sage advice.

·
Super Moderator
4,942 Posts
All the times I've been caught in 110/115 degree stop and go traffic here in Phoenix and the Vic didn't complain one bit. 25 miles coming home from work in 110+ stop and go will test you.

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Air cooled engine....

What cools the engine is air flowing over the cooling fins on the engine and through the oil cooler... If the bike is not moving there is no air passing over the cooling fins on the engine or through the oil cooler... do you think letting it run for 1/2 an hour without airflow is a wise thing to do?

Yes, you should leave the vehicle running IF IT HAS A WATER PUMP, A RADIATOR, AND A FAN PULLING AIR THROUGH THE RADIATOR.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think I would have shut off after about 4 or 5 minutes of non movement. You may have cooked your oil a little so an oil change wouldn't be a bad thing to do now.

·
Premium Member
13,003 Posts
If in fact you did overheat the engine and the oil in it; the next thing to do is to change the oil. Overheating can cause the oil to break down. Dino oil has a lower temp threshold that causes breakdown in the oil than synthetics. Most people run a semi-synthetic so some or most of the oil can be toast if it reached that threshold. This was a big issue when I used to ride Harley's since they get much hotter than Victory's. Back in the day we didn't have synthetic oil so it was even more of an issue.

https://www.finol.ie/news/engine-oil-breakdown/

I don't know if your oil reached the necessary temp to start breaking down but if you think it might have; it couldn't hurt to change the oil. If you did so recently then just change the oil and drain the filter. You could reuse the filter.

·
Registered
49 Posts
In this case the kind of oil you use will be the info needed, 100% synthetic would hold up really well to that kind of heat where semi or just normal oil not so much.
Yeah that is what I always thought, but Victory recommends using semi Synthetic oil in their engine and claim that it makes it run cooler. I do run Semi Synthetic 20 X 40 in mine, but would prefer to run straight Synthetic. I have never accepted that Semi is cooler in a Vic, but just have not moved away from it yet. I have had no overheating problems so far in Texas summer days.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Yeah that is what I always thought, but Victory recommends using semi Synthetic oil in their engine and claim that it makes it run cooler. I do run Semi Synthetic 20 X 40 in mine, but would prefer to run straight Synthetic. I have never accepted that Semi is cooler in a Vic, but just have not moved away from it yet. I have had no overheating problems so far in Texas summer days.
I live in a REALLY hot humid place and i bought the following oil

SPECTRO semi synthetic, of course you can go with the 15W40 and for most people that is perfect

But i went for 20W50 due to the hot weather here .... i just started using it a few hundred kilometers so i cannot comment on how it holds up , but all the vic gurus like this oil so i bought it online

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Twice my bike shut down due to heat in a traffic jam, and now if it takes to long i just shut it down, no problem ... There is a temperature switch in your engine that will stop the engine before any dammage

I would change the oil though ...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
534 Posts
Believe half-crazy said allmost all that needed to be said regarding this issue.

Only thing to add is what others have said, CHANGE THE OIL.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the replies. I use the Victory Semi Synthetic Oil in the Victory Oil Kits that the local dealer uses. I will be getting my oil changed.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I'm curious what point the engine does shut itself down. I've seen crazy high temperatures (IMO) sitting in traffic and it didn't shut off.

·
Registered
12,151 Posts
My OEM breaker tripped in stop & go traffic in 106* weather. It never reset - had to replace it with a Buss from NAPA right there.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I want evidence that such a temp sensor and over-temp shut off switch even exist...
I only found one post when searching.

I've had bike sitting in traffic at 300F from ECU sensor. I was getting a bit warm creeping along stop and go but I didn't want to push...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My bike never shut off. I voluntarily turned it off when the heat generated from the engine was becoming too much for me to tolerate. When I restarted the bike a 1/2 hr later, it died once then on the second restart it wouldn't maintain an idle. I assumed that was an overheating but maybe not?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
When I bought my XCT new a couple years ago, I had issues with the throttle grip swelling enough for it it stick with the heated grips on. (This ended up being a setup issue resolved by the mechanics sliding the throttle housing on further) To power the grips to show the mechanic I left the bike idling for about what seemed like 15 min. It did not shut down. (I was coming off 2 liquid cooled bikes with fans). The mechanic told me that after he rode my bike to his bay that it would not restart. He said I had let it idle for too long, and not enough air was cooling the motor (or going through the oil cooler), so the thermal overtemp switch tripped, which will not stop the bike (allows a rider to continue in a bad situation) but does prevent a restart until below a certain temp.

So from what I understand, a hot motor will not shut off due to that switch, but WILL temporarily prevent a restart, until cool.

There were no known effects after my overtemp incident, and I was just coming up on my 500 mile break-in oil change so I changed the oil right after. My oil didn’t seem that bad, for 500 miles, but most what I’ve read is that temps over 300 are bad for oil.

2016 Cross Country Tour, gloss black
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk app

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
1 - 20 of 38 Posts