Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I just signed up here and am not a current owner of a Victory motorcycle. I sashayed into a local Victory dealer last week with my wife and studied hard on a Cross Country Tour and even though I say I'm not in the market....

I currently ride a 2007 V-Star 1300 Tourer with 28,000 home grown miles on it. I'm sure my next ride is going to be bigger and stronger (though the Star is a fantastic machine).

To the point: As a member of a V-Star 1300 rider/owner forum since 2007 I find that there a probably any number of things about a bike that folks ultimately change to make the bike "better", i.e. wind buffeting, handlebar length, strange engine noises, or other anomalies. You all, as owners of a Victory would know better than anyone, spin free, of the good and not-so-good your machines.

Having said that, I've studied up on then XC Tour as much as I can (being a new model adaptation) and it seems to be an extraordinarily fine product with great features at a fair price (though the accessories seem to be a bit expensive) however:

a) What things do you most dislike about the Cross Country that could have been better so much so that you either want to or have changed it?

b) What, if any, are the most common problems new owners might have say within the first year?

I thank you all in advance for any input to my query.

Best Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
851 Posts
I sold my 2008 V Star 1300 to buy my XR last April.

There is a buffeting issue about the same as the V*. Just like the V* lowers will fix it. Some XC riders also get the taller windscreen.

The other big thing was I got use to the heal shifter on the 1300 and so I added it to the XR.

The engine noise is about the same.

The bars are fine for me but they were fine for me on my 1300. The only thing is it's a bit of a stretch going lock to lock during slow speed maneuvers.

The biggest positive is momma is MUCH happier on the back and will go on all day rides. With the V* she was ready to get off within 2 hours.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...There is a buffeting issue about the same as the V*. Just like the V* ...
He's considering the XC-Tour, which comes stock with buffeting issues solved as far as others have reported.

b) What, if any, are the most common problems new owners might have say within the first year?
Mark, a common problem is that a lot of us get sore muscles in our face from excessive and compulsive smiling.

Since you said you're not ready to buy a bike, I would advise that you do not test ride it, or you will live in misery 'till you bring it home.

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
Click on SEARCH at the top and enter the keyword of what it is you want to know, as it has been discussed many times before. As for me, I passed (at the dealer's suggestion) on the extended warranty. He said I would just be throwing $ at him as the only things these bikes come back for are routine maintenance and accessories. The V-Star 1300 was my second choice bike and as it turned out, it was a very distant second. The test ride is going to tell you a lot - but fair warning, that will be your undoing. Take along your checkbook so you won't have to go home and return to the dealer with it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I sold my 2008 V Star 1300 to buy my XR last April.

The other big thing was I got use to the heal shifter on the 1300 and so I added it to the XR.

The engine noise is about the same.

The bars are fine for me but they were fine for me on my 1300. The only thing is it's a bit of a stretch going lock to lock during slow speed maneuvers.

The biggest positive is momma is MUCH happier on the back and will go on all day rides. With the V* she was ready to get off within 2 hours.
Yea, I noticed the absence of a heel shifter which I've grown to love. There doesn't seem to be a large aftermarket presence for the XC's; unless I simply haven't found them.

Engine noise. I've added the Cobra CVT Autotune to the Star and it made a night/day difference in smoothness, power throughout the RPM range, and sound.

My wife already fights going to sleep on the back of the Star so something with arm-rests and bungee attachment points would be great :D

Thanks for your input!
Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mark, a common problem is that a lot of us get sore muscles in our face from excessive and compulsive smiling.

Since you said you're not ready to buy a bike, I would advise that you do not test ride it, or you will live in misery 'till you bring it home.
I hear the smiling! That was a primary factor in getting back into the saddle in 2007. After taking a demo ride one of the salesmen commented to my wife: "You haven't stopped smiling since you got back." She later admitted it was true... get the checkbook.

Not being ready is a simple changing of our collective minds (hers and mine in that order) the money is in pocket. A demo ride might just be what the doctor ordered.

Thank you for contributing to the cause.

Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@RICZ.

Thanks for the reliability plug. Good to know. Regarding searching. I suppose I don't even know the right questions to ask other than the way I put it forward here to owners who have already discovered that which I cannot by pure experience.

I can, however, tell you quite a bit about a V-Star 1300 that non-owners could never know except by asking a similar question, but nobody here needs or wants to know that.

Best Regards and thanks, cheers
Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I might add that I did sign the dealers guest book with a note to call when they got an XC-Tour demo in as my wife, surprisingly, looked on approvingly. (Women can be strange to figure)

I'm sort of looking for that event to determine what happens next but I'm here doing my due diligence learned from past experience.

Thanks all for now and look forward to more

Mark

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im in a pretty simular boat so to speak. I went to the Victory dealer and looked over there line up. Sat on the ones i liked and the misses sat on the Vision as a rider, and passenger.

She comented on how big the bike looked sitting there, then i sat on it and she smiled and said it fits you well, doesnt look as big now. She gave me the nod and tells me frequently that she wants me to buy a bike if thats what i want.

I am scared to ride one to be honest, I know once i start test riding them ill find the one i really want and it will skew my priorities for shopping lol. Once i find what im looking for in the trim or price range i really want to spend ill ride.

Even today she asked if i found one i wanted. I told her the problem isnt finding what i want, its finding one thats local to us.

Here in OR there just isnt many Victory's in the CC,CR, or Vision unless you want a 12.

Id love to have a 12 but im just not sure i want to spend that kind of coin since i havnt riden seriously in 15 years. Man its been a long time now that i said that. Sad since i used to love to ride so much. Things in life changed and stoped owning bikes, now its time to get back in the saddle.

I also want to get a safety course or class ride type deal agaion since its been so long since i took one. Just need to look into where to get one done.

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
I also want to get a safety course or class ride type deal agaion since its been so long since i took one. Just need to look into where to get one done.
Mike, you get a big high five from me for saying that. Motorcycle insurance would be a lot cheaper if all adult newbies and those returning after a long absence had that kind of presence of mind. Way to go! thumb up

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Saddlebag,

Sunset Red! That's a beautiful ride. The only one in the shop we visited was white but that there red is the bomb!

Smile hard or stay home!!!

Edit:

Question for you. I'm looking at he customizer on the Vic website and it shows the saddlebag tip guards as an option doesn't it come equipped with them??

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
She gave me the nod and tells me frequently that she wants me to buy a bike if thats what i want.
Sounds like you've go a special woman there! thumb up

Sad since i used to love to ride so much. Things in life changed and stoped owning bikes, now its time to get back in the saddle.
Yes things certainly change. For us it was kids and no time to ride. We now have 2 out of the house and one to go (15) so we've been able to exploit our freedom a wee bit :cool: If you can really get adequate use and enjoyment out of it might be the most important question.

I never did do the safety course but I'm sure it's a good idea. My insurance rates are super cheap and as practice I work Jerry "Motorman" Palladino's Ride Like a Pro program dvd. Crazy cool stuff there!

Good luck on your search,
Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
12,148 Posts
I never did do the safety course but I'm sure it's a good idea. My insurance rates are super cheap and as practice I work Jerry "Motorman" Palladino's Ride Like a Pro program dvd. Crazy cool stuff there!
Regards,
Mark
A rider course will have you doing things not covered in the RLAP DVD. Quick stop braking for one. If you take a course and do not learn something new to you, I will reimburse you the cost of that course. Deal? thumb up
RICZ

·
Premium Member
418 Posts
FamScoot:

The Cross Country Tour model comes with saddle bag guard bars. The non-Tour model does not come with them, but you can add them.

The customizer tool on the Victory website is not smart enough to make that obvious.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
A rider course will have you doing things not covered in the RLAP DVD. Quick stop braking for one. If you take a course and do not learn something new to you, I will reimburse you the cost of that course. Deal? thumb up
RICZ
Certainly sounds like a fair deal. The riders exam that I'd taken "back in the day" required the rapid acceleration, emergency braking and avoidance, and slalom under the watchful eye of a WV State Trooper (just a bit intimidating).

It seems to me that those skills are covered on the DVD though. Or at least I saw them laid out somewhere of this I'm sure. I've had more than a couple training sessions on public highways the past twenty-eight thousand miles and four and a half years. :mad:

But you can never have too many skills (or too much luck for that matter) ;)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Back to riding

I got back to riding about 7 years ago and have owned 4 bikes in that time, all of those have been completely based on price. Just purchased a 2011 CC, I fell in love with this bike before they were even released, first time I saw the leaks about them back in 08. Rode the Vision back then and loved it but just couldn't get past the look. Finally got around to getting on the CC and that was the beginning of the end. After much research, until 2 weeks ago it was still up between this and one other. I walked into my local dealers(at one I was treated like I was lucky to be there), when I walked into the Vic shop I was treated very well and was looking at the 12 the owners were both on the floor, knew their product and were not afraid to discuss the bikes down sides. They made me feel very comfortable. The closer was that even though I was looking at the 12 and really had no problem with the price they told me of an 11 that was coming back due to his wife finding a bike she liked better(poor bugger,she doesn't have a license)and had never seen the road. Saved 5grand and the bike has 4km on it,good for me bad for him lol. My experience with Peak has been great so far and I hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I too came from a vstar 1300 tourer. It was a nice bike but it took many changes to get it the way i wanted it.
I bought an 11 XC and like it much more than the vstar. the changes neccessary were fixed with the 12 XCT, plus it gives you many more goodies than the XC-bag bars, heated seat and grips plus abs. it solves the buffeting issue with a better wind management system-higher windshield, uppers and hard lowers (on round tube bars)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts