Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a used seat cowl for my 2006 Hammer. It needed to be painted to match the bike. My bike is orange - Nuclear Sunset. Paint code is P493.
I gave that info to the painter, but he had a hard time finding the right paint. He did get something, but it didn't come out right. Wondering if anyone has a good line on the formulation or way to get the right paint because I want this to match. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Maybe try a shop that can scan the current color with those color match things and custom match it.

2006 bike did the shop not account for paint fade?

·
Registered
894 Posts
You didn't get what you asked for so take both pieces and show him. He should get a chance to fix it to match. If he can't, find another painter. Your only other alternative is to repaint the entire bike.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Vic was very straight about the paint codes and types, usually the longer the number, the more stuff you need to add to it, some can have a base, flake and clear ON TOP of the actual color, so thats FOUR different mixes for ONE code.

But most of the colors that are just a single color have just a color and the clear.

They still have that paint and still mix it up, but its $$$$$$

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try the paint shop here one more time to see if they will match it without charging me for more paint. Given they have the code and a side cover with original color, I expect them to be able to match.
If not, I will try witch doctors. I don't need a lot of paint just for this one part so hoping to buy less than a quart.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
A quart of color would likely paint the entire bike. Your painter simply didn't do a correct or proper color match. As has been suggested, return both parts and point out the difference in a quick show and tell. In actuality, they shouldn't have ever left their shop unless you paid for a bargain basement 'close enough' job at the outset. The Polaris paint code is mostly useless to anyone outside of Polaris Industries, Victory Motorcycles division. It's an internal code for them, it means next to nothing to a body shop.

I had a local to me painter (Colors On Parade, Rossville, GA) match my gloss pearl white on two different occasions. It's an amazing match. I see a lot of color matches in my line of work. I think my Polaris paint code is 566 which for Victory simply means gloss pearl white. The painter had to use 4 base coats, 3 pearl coats and 2 or 3 clear coats but the end result is excellent regardless of the light conditions. I 'think' your color also has a metallic layer in it. If your metal flake is anything like mine, it's a very specific type, size and color. One size/type.color of metal flake does not work for all occasions and it will most definitely change the base tone, the undertone and the visual color effect of the job.

Bring the parts back and let them try it again, on their dime. If they can't or won't, your only real options are to move on to a painter who can or live with it as is.

·
Registered
433 Posts
White is a hard paint to deal with. Witch Doctors has the kit you want. On the WD Site they have the 675 and 352 Flat White Suede frost whatever. These two kits are actually the same. Then you need the flat clear. The easy way is to buy from WD. BTW this white is a really old color from long time ago snowmobiles and etc. Very easy and a nice match. You spray the base, find the right method 2-3 coats of pearl and clear as normal but not too much or it will start to shine. Viscosity will be right on if mixed properly.

If you call the MICA company, manufacture on the paint can they are very competent and can answer any Polaris questions with authority. If you are painting the whole bike and have a trunk buy another pint of activator.

Or you can go to the dealer but their kit will be over $500.

·
Registered
433 Posts
i did and i thought this was a good place to tell my own story. Witch Doctors deserves some big thanks and support for all the help they gave me and making these kits available for almost half the price of the dealer cost. Its a real BItch color and lots of confusion. Plus there are those who say the 352 and 675 is not the same color and in fact it is. Not logical on paper but they are with the physical paint. The Frost XC color is the same as Suede Pearl White - Magnum. That's the last key stroke about for me. :soapbox:

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Vin Man,

Your Nuclear Sunset Orange is a beautiful color on a beautiful motorcycle. It would drive me nuts to have the seat cover as dark as it is compared to the rest of the bike. Fortunately that piece doesn't also have the gray flames. I looked for my Colors On Parade receipt but didn't find it. As I recall, it was simple credit card receipt anyway so it likely went through the shredder.

I know when I had my gloss pearl white parts done I posted on here about the paint and the process they used. I'm going from memory here but I 'think' the Victory gloss pearl white is close to a Subaru color. I do remember the painter getting what he needed through a division of PPG for the paint but I don't specifically recall the metallic source. He did say it was a specific item. In my case, there are dozens of gloss pearl white colors from just about every car and motorcycle company. And yes, they're all just a bit different in how they reflect light. I'm sure you have a similar issue with your Nuclear Sunset Orange color in that there are likely many options. But you need a specific shade not someone else's standard color. The gloss clear they used on my CCT was their standard item they use for many jobs. If your bike has a matte clear, that should be the easiest of the paint layers to get.

I hope you get things sorted out to your complete satisfaction.

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Found it:

https://www.victoryforums.com/35-victory-general-discussion/188706-fantastic-painter-color-matcher.html

PPG Deltron was the paint used to perfectly match my 2012 Victory gloss pearl white. Four coats of base, 3 coats of white pearl and two coats of gloss clear. That said, it's the person doing the prep and the painting that needs to know what to do and how to do it. Like most things, finding someone with the talent, the know how and the communication skills who can make a living using them with the public is becoming a lost art.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts