Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been plenty of bitchin about Victory paint hardness. Myself included. I bought my bike the very end of February, 2013. I noticed right away that almost any contact with clothing, etc. left light marks in the paint. After the first wash I could actually see some swirl marks from the sponge.....NOT HAPPY. They came out easily with scratch and swirl remover....but still.....I was thinking...shitty paint on a $20K machine.

Fast forward to the end of July, 2013. The paint has gotten harder. I'm thinking it may take a while to cure. I don't have near the amount of transfer marks as before...and washing does not leave swirl marks anymore. Anyone else have the same observations? Don't know if it matters, but mine is Sunset Red.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
After 2 & 1/2 months, mine still marks easy and my bike was built in Nov '12 so the paint should be cured by now one would think.

I don't get too "wound up" about it coz during the spring/summer/fall, I ride it ... when winter sets in is when I clean it up and "tinker" which includes a good polishing to get rid of those surface "scuff" marks, etc.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The red bike is not showing much swirl. I am fairly responsible about cleaning but not anal. I decided that I am not a victim of swirl although it may be that I have a less critical eye.

I have noted minor defects (to be expected in an assembly line paint booth) and there is obvious lack of attention to detail (not as excusable but still minor). I mean, the bottoms of the bags are rough, the insides of covers are rough. Not the visible stuff for sure but it says something about the quality expectation during manufacture. I have had bikes that there was no dif in the paint on what you saw and what you did not so I expect that.

Ya know, I say this crap but in the sun from right up close one of the things that most endeared me to this machine is that red paint. Funny too because color was not even a consideration for me beyond the fact that black knocks a couple benjamins off the MSRP.

Turns out Vic can mix a flake fairly appealingly. Whoda thunkit?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Ya know, I say this crap but in the sun from right up close one of the things that most endeared me to this machine is that red paint.
I agree... that flake and in the RED really POPs out (no pun intended ... well, maybe a little LOL)

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Solar red on my 04 is also far ahead in quality over the flake white on the Vision. Not caring to much about swirling but it sure doesn't take much to scuff, scratch or chip. I'm with Pop on the out of site out of mind. Very poor quality control on overspray and orange peel on any part that is to I your face. Wit that said, I ride it year round and not for show. Someone told me yesterday. Needed to wash it. I said I did, about 16 miles of road wash the night before going home in the rain. Honestly, I don't see it would hurt MaVic to tighten up on paint. Their prices aren't entry level anymore. On a side toe, abut finished with my first can of original bike spirits spray cleaner and wax. Great touch up for the wind screen and bike.
Safe ridin all
Tim

·
Premium Member
13,660 Posts
Can probably thank the EPA for the slow curing paint. I started using a synthetic McGuairs (sp) Tech Wax almost immediately when I got the blue XC. I think that helped keep it from getting the light surface scratches. It has now been 3 years and it's holding up very well just using Bike Spirits and Lucas Slick Mist on it. The paint does not appear to be soft any longer.

The 04 KP had a custom paint job and has held up well so far but it was used when I got it last year.

·
13,188 Posts
I had a new street and curb put in this summer and some how there was grit on my paint. It felt like sand and after two washs with hot water it still felt the same. I used Mothers clay bar and there California Gold detailer. My paint feels smoother then new and the detailer dose not draw dust. I wax in straight lines no circles. I use a soft fur mitten when washing. I think my paint looks great and shines like a mirror.
Bad paint might just be from how one takes care of it. After all the paint is done by a Robot so it does what its programmed to do.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You know, I've noticed myself the paint seems to be much more resilient than it was a year ago when I took the bike home. Maybe having out in some UV radiation makes it harden or something ridiculous.

Best keep the Vegas parked outside, if that's the case. An '08 with 2k on the clock means it spent most of the last 6 years decorating a garage.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Don't want to highjack or take over thread.....

After taking several parts off my 04 KP to clean and wax, this subject hits close to home as I saw some paint blemishes but obviously an older bike. As crazy as it may sound, has anyone considered the colored or clear 3M wrap? My thought was if they do it with vehicles, why not tins. It goes on like tint on windows. Maybe a hair brain thought, but a thought. LOL

·
Registered
367 Posts
Awhile back I put a map on top of the trunk and when I removed it there were lots of marks. Since then they have disappeared and the paint seems to be harder with alot less swirl marks, go figure. Mine is a 2011.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a buddy that rides a 2002 Silver Wide Glide with the factory flames and it has 22,000 miles and it looks new----I MEAN NEW!!!!! No pits anywhere on the chrome, the rubber and plastic shines and it does not have a scratch. It stays in a garage and before it goes ANYWHERE, he does a dry wash with detailer before it sees sunlight.

THAT AIN'T ME!I guess I am not as picky. I wash my bike about once a month and I will spray some cleaner on it before In head out to a special event, but I live in the country and the day after I wash it, there is a small film of dust. I look at it this way. You don't see it at 60 MPH and most of the time if it isn't on the road it is in the garage and you don't see it there either.

My sunset metalic red XR is spectacular in the sunlight when clean. The black Kingpin could be a lot better, but hey----I only see the tank when riding. cheers

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I live in the country, also. I'm not anal about a super clean bike....even though I do wash mine regularly.....and spray on a little detailer here and there to get the bug guts off. But you know how it is when you first bring it home.....you go out in the garage and check up on it....like a baby sleeping. "Cause I've been lovin' you for such a long time, baby!" Ummm...not you guys...talkin' about the bike...oh yeah...that is also John Hiatt!

·
Registered
28 Posts
After taking several parts off my 04 KP to clean and wax, this subject hits close to home as I saw some paint blemishes but obviously an older bike. As crazy as it may sound, has anyone considered the colored or clear 3M wrap? My thought was if they do it with vehicles, why not tins. It goes on like tint on windows. Maybe a hair brain thought, but a thought. LOL
Im a new bike owner and thought the very same thing the first day I brought mine home. I have a friend who owns a sign business and Im going to get him to clear bra my tank and bag lids. I just traded a 2010 Camaro SS for my bike and I had the clear bra on the car. The stuff works great and dowsnt take away from the paint brightness at all.

I was very active on the Camaro forums and the biggest complaint about the cars was the paint. Its water based paint anymore thanks to the FEDS/EPA. All the new paint on anything these days sucks. I can most certainly point you in the right direction of some great stuff I used on my car that makes cleaning and polishing so much easier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Im a new bike owner and thought the very same thing the first day I brought mine home. I have a friend who owns a sign business and Im going to get him to clear bra my tank and bag lids. I just traded a 2010 Camaro SS for my bike and I had the clear bra on the car. The stuff works great and dowsnt take away from the paint brightness at all.

I was very active on the Camaro forums and the biggest complaint about the cars was the paint. Its water based paint anymore thanks to the FEDS/EPA. All the new paint on anything these days sucks. I can most certainly point you in the right direction of some great stuff I used on my car that makes cleaning and polishing so much easier.
PIPE, thank you, it's good to know someone else has had a thought along the same lines. (Much like you were talking about your Camaro previously, was considering the same for my truck because of how we utilize it in town and in the country) While I was removing bags, seats and so on to clean recently after buying my 04, my thought was there wasn't much tins left that they all couldn't be removed some winter soon and be covered. The clear bra is a great idea. I will admit since my KP is already black, I have considered a different look that would take it from shiny black to perhaps matte black. That's my problem though, always thinking.........

·
Registered
28 Posts
PIPE, thank you, it's good to know someone else has had a thought along the same lines. (Much like you were talking about your Camaro previously, was considering the same for my truck because of how we utilize it in town and in the country) While I was removing bags, seats and so on to clean recently after buying my 04, my thought was there wasn't much tins left that they all couldn't be removed some winter soon and be covered. The clear bra is a great idea. I will admit since my KP is already black, I have considered a different look that would take it from shiny black to perhaps matte black. That's my problem though, always thinking.........
Only way you'll go from shiny to flat will be to completely repaint or just have it wrapped. Or another option is a stuff called Plasti-dip. That stuff was huge within the camaro community for wheels or front fascia's etc. Basically its the same thing as the rubber coating on pliers, screwdriver, needlenose plier handles. Comes in spray cans and you just spray it on, let it dry and apply a few more coats. If not happy with it you just peel it off leaving the surface undernieth unharmed. Pretty cool stuff.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Only way you'll go from shiny to flat will be to completely repaint or just have it wrapped. Or another option is a stuff called Plasti-dip. That stuff was huge within the camaro community for wheels or front fascia's etc. Basically its the same thing as the rubber coating on pliers, screwdriver, needlenose plier handles. Comes in spray cans and you just spray it on, let it dry and apply a few more coats. If not happy with it you just peel it off leaving the surface undernieth unharmed. Pretty cool stuff.
Now that is funny, I was praising the uses of plasti-dip in another thread. I have done our ATV wheels with it to keep the rust away, and recently did my half helmet with it as well. The F150Forum has guys doing the same thing with badges, wheels, and other parts. It is great for the peel off factor if you don't like it, you can peel it off.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts