Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us who ride ALOT, you may have noticed that your ride receives a lot of rock and (believe it or not) bug chips in the paint. I believe this is contributed to by not only the projectiles, but also by the poor application of the clear coat to the paint.
Just wondering if anyone has discovered a solution, or at least a way to reduce the effect of this situation. If so, please share your idea with the rest of us.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Touch-up paint. LOL

Actually, I am not being funny. I have the Pearl White and went to O'Brien's Auto Store and got something that is very close to the color.

But I am pretty sure I will have the bike repainted next year (or the year after) and at that point I will make sure the PAINTER puts MULTIPLE clearcoats and/or strong paint to diminish the amount of rock chips.

But until then...TOUCH-UP PAINT. :mad:

Wally

·
13,038 Posts
3M paint protector film.
You all most can't see it and it does work. You know how fat trikes are well a friend has this on the fenders and a truck kicked up a rock and it his fender. Damaged the film but did not a touch to the paint. Had new film put on and good as new. One of the guys had the top of his saddlebags done the paint looks great after two years of finger nails scratching not showing and girls that drag there feet.
Check around and auto detailer do it or you can buy the film I believe from NAPA.
I have it on the front fender headlight and other parts love it.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That's a great idea, but it's also kinda like being a teenager in the 70's and having to wear a rubber. It just don't "feel" right. :ltr:

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
yup...3M or other combos available: http://thetankslapper.biz/osc/index.php?cPath=36_226

I haven't pulled the trigger on this myself either...but it does seem to make sense, especially for the lower fairings on an XCT..but they don't have the precut pieces yet for those components. I talked to them last week about it and they're 'working on them'

mcnor

'12 XCT (black
'08 Vulcan Classic 1500

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
Yepper. The 3M is great stuff. I find for the XC that the 6" wide rolls of, whatever length you choose, work great. Yes. You can see it on the bike when up close but it sure beats seeing scratches and gouges in the paint.

And I agree about wearing a rubber. It's almost not even worth it...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the advice. It's a pity that our scoots don't have better paint and clear coats. The cost wouldn't be that significant, but would help keep customers happy. Also, would be great to be able to talk to a real person at Victory to submit suggestions or ask questions. Dealers are great, but talking to the manufacturer would be awsome.cheers

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have found that several coats of a good grade paste wax on the nose of the bike makes it easier to clean the bugs off and gives a layer of protection from chipping.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Touch-up paint. LOL

Actually, I am not being funny. I have the Pearl White and went to O'Brien's Auto Store and got something that is very close to the color.

But I am pretty sure I will have the bike repainted next year (or the year after) and at that point I will make sure the PAINTER puts MULTIPLE clearcoats and/or strong paint to diminish the amount of rock chips.

But until then...TOUCH-UP PAINT. :mad:

Wally
50 year year painter here. cheers. The more paint or clear the more chipping you get. Your Pearl is a try coat and has one layer of flat white ,one layer of pearl white and who knows how much clear.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Paint protection

I've notice since day one that the tank just in front of the seat tends to get scuffed looking (only had the bike since last Thursday). I tried a Harley refrigerator magnet the size of a credit card, it didn't like to conform to the tank over the ridge. Maybe brand conflict? I doubt the 3M film is available locally. Duct tape would look terrible... Got to wondering about running out to Wally World for a pack of screen protectors meant for a iPad. Looking for a quick solution, but wondering if I only want to cover a few inches ahead of the seat if the screen protector stuff would work. Haven't used if for the intended purpose so have no idea how clingy it is.

·
Premium Member
13,296 Posts
I've notice since day one that the tank just in front of the seat tends to get scuffed looking (only had the bike since last Thursday). I tried a Harley refrigerator magnet the size of a credit card, it didn't like to conform to the tank over the ridge. Maybe brand conflict? I doubt the 3M film is available locally. Duct tape would look terrible... Got to wondering about running out to Wally World for a pack of screen protectors meant for a iPad. Looking for a quick solution, but wondering if I only want to cover a few inches ahead of the seat if the screen protector stuff would work. Haven't used if for the intended purpose so have no idea how clingy it is.
I think I heard someone say the 3M film is available at Wally World. It's also available through ebay.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts