Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took advantage of the Victory blow out sale and purchased the painted lower cowl for my bike. In the process of installing it I found that the stock bolts are not long enough for the upper bolt holes on both sides (left and right.) The kit does not come with new bolts. It seems the upper bolt hole is "thicker" on the new cowls than the stock cowls.

In the pictures below you can see how much further out the bolt protrudes from the stock cowl vs. the new cowl (11/16ths vs. 5/16ths.)

The stock bolts are not long enough to grab onto the threaded side on the frame with the new cowl.

Has anyone else run into this problem?

Attachments

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Get longer bolts.
Obviously...

But where and what size. The hardware store didn't carry black oxide bolts.

Anyone have any more constructive help?

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The sides.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
If the plastic itself is thicker than the stock part, drill out the hole the same diameter as the bolt head. Do this from the outside, drilling into the recess. Drill 1/8" to 1/4" deep and re install. The bolt head will cover the unpainted hole drill and no one will be the wiser.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the plastic itself is thicker than the stock part, drill out the hole the same diameter as the bolt head. Do this from the outside, drilling into the recess. Drill 1/8" to 1/4" deep and re install. The bolt head will cover the unpainted hole drill and no one will be the wiser.
Thanks Jim, but the sides are cast aluminum.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
If you do decide to drill it; I would use the right flat head drill bit so you are left with a flat surface at the bottom of the hole instead of a sloped one created by a regular bit.

Also; I'd make triple sure the boss has enough meat in it before doing any drilling. Hate to see you trash the part inadvertently.

I tried looking up the bolt size but it wasn't listed in the manual I used. I'm sure it's a common metric size though.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
FWIW, Paulie found the correct upper bolt for me. It is p/n 7520379 and is a M8 x 1.25 x 50. The lower bolt is p/n 7519779 and is a M8 x 1.25 x 35.

Also, one other thing to note is that there is primer in the threads where the threaded stud goes to support the oil cooler. It's best if you get a sacrificial bolt to clean out the threads and not use the threaded stud (don't ask.) If you need to get a new stud the p/n is 7519147.

·
Premium Member
13,609 Posts
FWIW, Paulie found the correct upper bolt for me. It is p/n 7520379 and is a M8 x 1.25 x 50. The lower bolt is p/n 7519779 and is a M8 x 1.25 x 35.

Also, one other thing to note is that there is primer in the threads where the threaded stud goes to support the oil cooler. It's best if you get a sacrificial bolt to clean out the threads and not use the threaded stud (don't ask.) If you need to get a new stud the p/n is 7519147.
The correct way is use a tap and die set with the correct threads and size the run it in and out cleaning off the debris until it's clean. It's probably old thread lock.

For home use the Harbor Freight tap and die sets are just fine. For a machine shop; no.

A compressor with the right blower attachment is also your friend when doing this type of thing. Canned air will work in a pinch.

Because I have four dogs and a dirt yard; my computer, tv, etc. etc. gets dusty fast so to blow them clean I used to use canned air but then I saw this on Amazon and I'm glad I bought it. It would even work on this job. Makes house keeping a "breeze". ;) Kinda noisy; the dogs don't like it at all but it works great and you don't have to keep buying canned air.

Edit: Interesting; it was only $40 when I bought it. Now it's over $60. Must be popular.

FWIW; Walmart has it for $50.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's probably old thread lock.

For home use the Harbor Freight tap and die sets are just fine. For a machine shop; no.

A compressor with the right blower attachment is also your friend when doing this type of thing. Canned air will work in a pinch.
It was primer. The cowl was brand new from Victory. Compressed air would not have done a thing. Yes, a tap set might have been better, but it would be overkill to go out and buy one if you don't have a need for it. A bolt of the same size does the job just fine. My issue was that since the stud is threaded on both sides, I put the nut on one side to use to thread the stud into the cowl. But it took more effort than I had anticipated and I couldn't remove the nut from the stud after i was done.

The stud is similar to this:

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts