Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my winter projects is to paint my headlight, I have an 09 Vegas 8 Ball with the Chrome round headlight, would love the modern bullet but decided its to expensive, anyways Ive decided to paint mine flat black and seeing as Ive never painted Chrome before has anyone any tips before I do this.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
I would try plastidipping it first. Comes out a nice satin black... a can only costs about $5 and it is removeable should you not like it or ever want to back to chrome.... It is very easy to use Plastidip.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Hi , if it were me , I would disassemble the headlight , and mail it to Witchdoctors for about $5.50 from where you live . He will mediablast it and powdercoat it any color you want for about 40.00 to 45.00 , and mail it back to you . 2 -3 week turnaraound ,and you will have a durable OEM finish that will last . 60.00 to 65.00 total cost , not too shabby .thumb up

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi , if it were me , I would disassemble the headlight , and mail it to Witchdoctors for about $5.50 from where you live . He will mediablast it and powdercoat it any color you want for about 40.00 to 45.00 , and mail it back to you . 2 -3 week turnaraound ,and you will have a durable OEM finish that will last . 60.00 to 65.00 total cost , not too shabby .thumb up
I agree.. painting is not easy. It's even harder when it's metal that flexes with temperature and it's in a spot that catches a lot of debris.

If you had some experience here, I would say got for it. But since you don't, I would suggest you use a pro.

If you are super hell bent on doing this yourself then study up on preping and painting techniques

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree.. painting is not easy. It's even harder when it's metal that flexes with temperature and it's in a spot that catches a lot of debris.

If you had some experience here, I would say got for it. But since you don't, I would suggest you use a pro.

If you are super hell bent on doing this yourself then study up on preping and painting techniques
Well I re-painted my Exhaust, so it doesnt flex more than that *L* No guys I'm painting using paint, plastidip I feel would look cool but consider its position and the beatings it would get Id be afraid it would chip and peel. As for sending it to WitchDoctors, wheres the fun in that !

·
Registered
136 Posts
Painting it would work fine. Dont worry that its chrome you just have to prep it good. Wet sand it with 600 grit till its nice a dull looking. Make sure you get in the grooves really well to so it has a good grab on the metal. I would highly recommend you spray a epoxy primer/sealer on it and let that dry for a hour before you spray your paint. Before you spray anything wipe it down with some wax and grease remover. Then spray the epoxy primer/sealer and then your paint.
I paint chrome fork lower legs, headlights, valve covers, and what ever else people bring me and its never been a issue. I would say if you lived close by to drop it off and i can have it done the next day. Most paint places wont charge you much to spray that. Good luck!

·
Registered
931 Posts
Dude just use Plastidip, no sanding just clean, spray and done. I did a few parts and they hold up well

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Painting it would work fine. Dont worry that its chrome you just have to prep it good. Wet sand it with 600 grit till its nice a dull looking. Make sure you get in the grooves really well to so it has a good grab on the metal. I would highly recommend you spray a epoxy primer/sealer on it and let that dry for a hour before you spray your paint. Before you spray anything wipe it down with some wax and grease remover. Then spray the epoxy primer/sealer and then your paint.
I paint chrome fork lower legs, headlights, valve covers, and what ever else people bring me and its never been a issue. I would say if you lived close by to drop it off and i can have it done the next day. Most paint places wont charge you much to spray that. Good luck!
Thanks TRV, how many coats of primer do you put on, also my local Menards only has 400 grit at the max, will that work?

·
Registered
931 Posts
Red wedge Plastidip. And if I want the chrome look I just peel it off wala chrome smooth and shiny

Btw my pipes were painted over Sanded chrome. Did not hold up worth a ****. Scuffed it all off and left the satin chrome look

Attachments

·
Registered
136 Posts
Red wedge Plastidip. And if I want the chrome look I just peel it off wala chrome smooth and shiny

Btw my pipes were painted over Sanded chrome. Did not hold up worth a ****. Scuffed it all off and left the satin chrome look
What kind of primer did you use on the covers?? Also has to be a high temp paint since the covers will still see temps in the 300 range. If you dont use a good epoxy primer or a etching primer then yes you will have adhesion issues. With chrome, a 3m scuff pad isnt enough bite for the primer and paint so it needs to be done with 600 grit and then primered. That will give you the good mechanical adhession you need to hold on to the piece. Everything after the primer is a chemical adhession so no sanding is required. Just as long as you have sprayed the base coat and clear within 24 hours of shooting the primer. If paint wouldnt stick i would have a ton of unhappy customers demanding a repaint. So far nothing has returned and have no complaints.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks TRV, how many coats of primer do you put on, also my local Menards only has 400 grit at the max, will that work?
2 coats of epoxy primer should be plenty. Chances are the sand paper at menards is mainly for wood and wont do so well in water. If you have a autozone, oreily, napa, carquest or any automotive store you will have better luck with sand paper. 400 would be fine. Also what kind of paint do you plan to use? If you have a paint gun your better off with real automotive paints like base coat clear coat. Use a poly or acrilic ureathane paint they are stronger and have more chemical bite to them then a spray can. If your only option is a spray can then prep work and clean are critical. Can still make it work but it might not be as durable as urethane paints. Any other questions feel free to ask!

·
Registered
659 Posts
The cheap chrome radiator cover on my Kawasaki started rusting after a year or so in the wind. I sanded with 400 grit and used a little wire wheel on my dremel to get the inside corners. Wiped it down with acetone and sprayed it with a can of flat black grill paint that said it would stick to bare metal. Looked at it last week when I did an oil change... 2 years later and it looks great.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The cheap chrome radiator cover on my Kawasaki started rusting after a year or so in the wind. I sanded with 400 grit and used a little wire wheel on my dremel to get the inside corners. Wiped it down with acetone and sprayed it with a can of flat black grill paint that said it would stick to bare metal. Looked at it last week when I did an oil change... 2 years later and it looks great.

Ya grill paints are a pretty tough enamel paint and as long as you prep and clean the piece good then you will have good results. You just have to make sure you get it sanded really really well. Edges and any nooks and crannies need sanded well to. If not this will be your chipping area. Its not hard just prep and clean and use a good paint. If the grill paint is the color your after then that stuff is pretty durable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts