Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you that have done it, did you sand blast the aluminum or clean and paint over that rough texture? Thanks for your inputs.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
isnt it plastic?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The middle is, I'm leaving that black the outside parts are cast aluminum. Those are what I'm painting.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
oh gotcha, i think most smooth it out then paint

·
Registered
173 Posts
I had mine powder coated gloss black. They have to strip off the factory powder. Once they did that it comes out smooth.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. Gonna start sanding tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
234 Posts
Had mine sanded before painting:

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Has anybody done this and painted them the titanium suede color that could share picss?

Thanks in advance!
I'm dropping my chin spoiler, dash, lower wind deflectors and saddle bag lid that I scratched off at the painter tomorrow. I'll post pics when I get it all back together.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Just sand them smooth, prime and paint. Easy peasy. They are powder coated from the factory and can be painted over without having to sand or blast to bear alum. I have done several sets now with no issues.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Update

Wanted to show you guys were I am. The one piece is the side cover to match the color shading. Still have to wet sand and clear but I think they are turning out pretty damn good!!!! Will post pics when get on bike.thumb up

Attachments

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You were right!!

Just sand them smooth, prime and paint. Easy peasy. They are powder coated from the factory and can be painted over without having to sand or blast to bear alum. I have done several sets now with no issues.
Did them just as you suggested too. Thanks for all you guys input.

·
Registered
324 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Glad to hear you have done it without sanding because I am concerned about getting an overall smooth job. Have done the centre part of the chin spoiler by cleaning first with xylene then spray. Plan to do the aluminum side pieces the same way and see how the new paint stand up. Gun metal metallic on a XR 8 Ball.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I have enough paint left over from the dash project to do the chin fairing sides(leaving the center piece black). I'm going with the lt. sand, prime, paint, clear plan.
Color match chins on the Cross County look amazing. To my eye having that slash of color up front fills a void in the the lines of the bike and pulls it all together with the XCs' big ass.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have enough paint left over from the dash project to do the chin fairing sides(leaving the center piece black). I'm going with the lt. sand, prime, paint, clear plan.
Color match chins on the Cross County look amazing. To my eye having that slash of color up front fills a void in the the lines of the bike and pulls it all together with the XCs' big ass.
That's how I am doing mine. Center left black. You have pics of yours together??

·
Registered
504 Posts
Here is mine but they are customized a bit with the Crash bar holes welded in and then extended under the bike. I sanded down to bare aluminum and 600 wet sanded them. They could be polished too!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is mine but they are customized a bit with the Crash bar holes welded in and then extended under the bike. I sanded down to bare aluminum and 600 wet sanded them. They could be polished too!
Looks good!!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts