Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are two options for the DIYer wanting to paint parts suede titanium.

One way is using paint, clear coat and supplies available at Autozone/Advance Auto and Walmart. For paint use Dupli-Color Storm Gray Metallic 14 WA391E. For clear coat use Dupli-Color Wheel Matte Polyurethane Clear. I recommend Dupli-Color brand primer to avoid issues that sometimes come up when mixing different brands of primer and paint.

Another way is to substitute the Dupli-Color primer, paint and matte clear with this TouchUpDirect package: Amazon.com: TouchUpDirect 2015 Victory Cross Country Exact-Match Motorcycle Touch-Up Paint - VIC011 Suede Titanium Matte - 13.5 oz. Aerosol - Essential Package: Automotive.

I painted my bag hinges and lock bezels using the Dupli-Color products.

Strip with prep spray. Wear gloves. The toothbrush, q-tips and toothpicks help get paint out of nooks and crannies. I also do a TSP wash after I strip paint. May not be needed but has always served me well.

Scuff hinges with 400 grit. Scuff plastic lock bezels with Scotchbrite pad. Wipe with prep spray and microfiber towel. Blow off with compressed air.

Spray self-etching primer on hinges followed by sandable primer. Let primer cure.

Spray adhesion protomter on plastic followed by sandable primer. Let primer cure. Plastic adhesion promoter has a short coat window so spray sandable primer within 10 minutes after promoter application. I always do 5 minutes.

While my primer was curing I sprayed a test piece with primer and two with primer followed by black or white. All three then got base and matte clear. I wanted to see which result best matched the bike. Turns out the primer alone was best.

Lightly sand primer with 400 grit, clean with prep spray/compressed air, and spray another coat of primer. Repeat but with 600 grit. Repeat once more with 800 grit and no more primer.

Spray a couple coats of base. This is where the heat gun came into play. During this project ambient air was 58-62 degrees and 85-90% humidity with occasional light drizzle outside. The ground remained wet and I could sometimes see my breath when lighting conditions were right. I used the heat gun on low setting briefly after each base coat to prevent blushing as the lacquer solvent evaporated.

I used just under one and a half cans, and did final coat on all pieces with same can to ensure matching.

Allow the paint to fully cure before wet sanding and/or clear coating. I lightly wet sanded my paint with 800 grit before clearing. When all done, spray a couple of coats of matte clear, let cure and install.

·
13,026 Posts
I didn't read every thing sorry. You used a heat gun to dry the paint?

I like the look of the brushed metal hinges

·
Premium Member
13,276 Posts
I didn't read every thing sorry. You used a heat gun to dry the paint?

I like the look of the brushed metal hinges
I think he was just getting the chill out of the air around the parts he had just painted so they would dry/cure properly.

I agree. The brush metal look on the hinges do look pretty cool. A Scotchbrite flapper wheel would make it look uniform and complete if that was the desired look someone was going for.

·
Premium Member
4,498 Posts
I too like the look of the brushed metal hinges. If my bike was flat black i would have all kinds of brushed un finished metal pieces.

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
$63 a can damn they're proud of their spray paint.

Looks great!!

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
$63 a can damn they're proud of their spray paint.

Looks great!!
Yes it does look great!

Take your side cover into a good automotive paint store and have them scan it and match it. A quart of matte clear and paint will be the same price or cheaper. Prep it, bring to me and I'll shoot it with my detail gun. Needs to be in the winter, flashes too fast here in the summer to paint into my garage. Made the mistake once, took me 2 days to color sand that stupid tank. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
92 Posts
The attention to detail with this project is astounding. I dont know that i couldve walked into a parts store and gone....yes, thats the color of my bike. VERY good match, thanks for sharing!!!

·
Registered
567 Posts
When I purchased my XCT back in '14 I had the manager do a write up to paint it Titanium Suede (its black). I love the TS color but $2200 was a bit much!

·
Registered
263 Posts
i laid my bike over and waiting for factory matched parts was a nightmare, then we tried to send it out for a paintmatch, almost impossible... my whole bike was shot too light, and i refused the parts its a very hard color to match if your going for a complete blend. i ended up with all new parts from factory.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I am considering trying this, this weekend on my helmet and headlight bezel. I will post pics if and when i do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts