Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I dropped my tank whilst installing my new ram air intake and now have a lovely little dent in each side.
Seeing as my brother owns his own panel shop and the rear fender has marks from the passenger seat, I'm considering a new paint job. I'm curious to know how taboo this idea is amongst other Vic owners.

I've thrown around the idea of a black base with some fleck or pearl so don't stress, I won't be tarting it up to be something else:p

Just in case, I'll get in before anyone gives the "why didn't you buy a different colour to begin with" and counter with a couple points.
The 8 ball came at a price that was far too good to resist, like crazy cheap and I had not entertained the thought prior to dropping it.

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
There are no "taboo" , if you dislike the 2 dents then GO for the paint job mate... Just post pictures of before & after... Ha ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are no "taboo" , if you dislike the 2 dents then GO for the paint job mate... Just post pictures of before & after... Ha ha ha

Andre using TaPaTaLk
If the two dents were the same, then I'd rebrand them as wind deflectors. Lol

·
Premium Member
6,035 Posts
If the two dents were the same, then I'd rebrand them as wind deflectors. Lol
Ok now I really really wanna see the dents..... Hi hi

Andre using TaPaTaLk

·
Registered
530 Posts
I say do whatever you would like. Don't care about what anybody else thinks. The bike is yours so make it yours.
i agree wholeheartedly with VVB. if anyone doesn't like or gives you grief about it, tell em to piss off.. your money, your bike, your choice..
make it suit you and forget what anyone else thinks. that is the beauty part about bikes, we can do what we want to them - the only limitations are time, money, and your imagination. at the end of the day, if your ride is what you want and you love it, that is all that matters brother. :devil

·
Registered
742 Posts
I love paint - I used to be a painter way back in the day but traded the paint booth for a woodworking shop and computer and spent my working life in the sign and graphic design field. Paint ROCKS and it always will. Vinyl can't do what paint does but I don't regret being in the 'vinyl' business because it has many advantages too, covering dents just ain't one of them. Since you HAVE to take the pieces off anyway, and straighten them, and paint them, then I say PAINT-THE-HELL-OUT-OF-THEM!! Don't hold nothin' back. Having a buddy / brother in the body shop business kinda seals the deal - assuming he's good at what he does?

·
12,984 Posts
Before you paint search the net for custom bikes you might find something.
I'm just not a fan of black. Buts its your bike make it the way you want it

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I love paint - I used to be a painter way back in the day but traded the paint booth for a woodworking shop and computer and spent my working life in the sign and graphic design field. Paint ROCKS and it always will. Vinyl can't do what paint does but I don't regret being in the 'vinyl' business because it has many advantages too, covering dents just ain't one of them. Since you HAVE to take the pieces off anyway, and straighten them, and paint them, then I say PAINT-THE-HELL-OUT-OF-THEM!! Don't hold nothin' back. Having a buddy / brother in the body shop business kinda seals the deal - assuming he's good at what he does?
Ithats my train of thought though I am curious about the popularity of "I'd never buy an 8 ball if it wasn't black" haha yeah, as it happens I have both a buddy and a brother who are quite good and will. Certainly help me out with price!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Before you paint search the net for custom bikes you might find something.
I'm just not a fan of black. Buts its your bike make it the way you want it
I've done a quick search for custom paints, my brother did a killer purple fleck through black on his Monaro so I'm thinking something along those lines. I'll probably stick with a black base but change some other aspects to sex it up.
Cheers!

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I guess what everyone, including me, is saying, is BE CREATIVE and make 'er unique. If it was me, I'd select automotive colors, so that touching up or a future repaint will be an easy match. After a bike beside mine tipped over, hitting mine and mine falling hard against a curb, I had to have my cases repainted and it turned out to be a mis-match as Midnight Cherry is a bitch to get right. So I'm having a re-do.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I suspect my 2010 Vegas has already had a respray/colour change as Im fairly sure this blue metallic is a non stock colour?
Anyone there know of a stock 2010 Vegas in this colour?
Soon to have ghost true flames added over the top then recleared in 2 pak by a young gun painter that works at a mates body and paint shop.
He already mixed matched the front Kingpin fender I bought damaged that I straightened sanded filled sanded primed and prepped before handing it to him to spray in his pro booth.
Its your bike you can do what you like, guaranteed some will like and some wont.

Most of my previous many bikes have been black, shiny or flat or satin or rat.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I guess what everyone, including me, is saying, is BE CREATIVE and make 'er unique. If it was me, I'd select automotive colors, so that touching up or a future repaint will be an easy match. After a bike beside mine tipped over, hitting mine and mine falling hard against a curb, I had to have my cases repainted and it turned out to be a mis-match as Midnight Cherry is a bitch to get right. So I'm having a re-do.
That's interesting as midnight cherry was something I was considering, perhaps I'll give it a miss if it's going to be that difficult lol. Would love to see a pic of your bike in that colour though. When you say choose automotive paint, what other possibility could there have been?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I suspect my 2010 Vegas has already had a respray/colour change as Im fairly sure this blue metallic is a non stock colour?
Anyone there know of a stock 2010 Vegas in this colour?
Soon to have ghost true flames added over the top then recleared in 2 pak by a young gun painter that works at a mates body and paint shop.
He already mixed matched the front Kingpin fender I bought damaged that I straightened sanded filled sanded primed and prepped before handing it to him to spray in his pro booth.
Its your bike you can do what you like, guaranteed some will like and some wont.

Most of my previous many bikes have been black, shiny or flat or satin or rat.
I could be wrong but my guess is that it has been resprayed, pretty sure that the tank is two colours. Your chassis number should have the paint code in it, I'm assuming bikes work the same way. Are you going back to Black? What would be your favourite of those colours? My previous bike was silver and black from factory.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
I could be wrong but my guess is that it has been resprayed, pretty sure that the tank is two colours. Your chassis number should have the paint code in it, I'm assuming bikes work the same way. Are you going back to Black? What would be your favourite of those colours? My previous bike was silver and black from factory.
After a lifetime of black bikes theres no way Id paint mine black.
Staying that metallic blue but gonna get a mate to shoot some tasteful ghost flames over it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts