Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Somewhat familiar with the site, but I just joined. I have a 13 XC, and I have an accessory that is draining my battery unless I plug it into the trickle charger every night. I have LED lights and I have the right amp inline fuse and no ground/frayed or touching wires. I also have an HID headlight kit that when I turn on my high beams my 7" samsung tablet stops playing music until I turn it back on, but this does not happen every time. My tablet stays plugged into the cigarette lighter via usb port most of the time. I believe it is my tablet that is draining my battery. Last weekend my bike was unplugged from the trickle charger and parked in the driveway most of the day and when I went to start it that night I had to jump the battery. Once I rode it on the freeway for 30 minutes the battery charged up, and started right up again 1-1/2 hrs later when it was time to head home. What do I need to do to stop this from happening? Thanks

Marcia R.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Those USB thingys are a transformer and are causing a draw. Oh, and welcome aboard this crazy ship.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RicZ. At least I know my recent electrical class is paying off. Just wanted to double check what I was thinking.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Get a fuse block to supply all your accessories. Power it via a relay so that its off when the ignition is off. There will still be a tiny draw from the radio memories though.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My LED accent lights do that if I don't turn them off at their main switch.

My lights are hooked to the battery and have a push button on/off switch. I can turn this switch on and then use the remote to turn the lights off but if I do this they are still drawing power and drain my battery overnight.

If I leave them on with the remote but turn the main switch off I don't have any issues.

·
Premium Member
1,838 Posts
Welcome from Florida. I am inclined to believe what Rid said. The fuse block on a relay is great also! I had the fuse block set up and a negative side bus bar, but I did not install a relay yet.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
569 Posts
I know for sure that the cigarette lighter plug in the left lower of my XCT stays on even when the key is off. I have a Sirius/XM radio in there that I have to remember to turn off and unplug.

·
Registered
28 Posts
It could be as simple as the battery is getting week. Is it the original battery? With my XC they only last about 3 years.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Au contraire....Depending on how well you have maintained it, a MC battery can last 6+ years. Don't maintain it and you can turn it into a boat anchor in less than a year.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Au contraire....Depending on how well you have maintained it, a MC battery can last 6+ years. Don't maintain it and you can turn it into a boat anchor in less than a year.
You must be an expert on batteries. That's why my 04 Kingpin I sold last year still had the battery that came in it when I purchased it new and my 2010 Cross Country is on it's third battery. I guess I just don't know how to take care of a battery.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Parasitic Draw and USB Ports

+1 to what @RICZ said early on, re the draw of the circuitry in USB outlets, whether or not something is plugged into them.

3BR Powersports -- a vendor/manufacturer of fine products, IMHO -- specifically notes this. In their instructions for their Panel TAPP (a rainproof USB outlet), they note (at https://www.3brpowersports.com/PDF/PanelTAPP_2_1.pdf ):

TAPP quiescent current (power consumption with no load) will drain a small motorcycle battery in as little as three to five days if connected directly to the battery. It is recommended that TAPP be connected to a switched power source to prevent battery drain when the vehicle is not running.

Before installing my first Panel TAPP (see https://www.3brpowersports.com/products.php ), I started a thread a couple of years ago (on this or the other forum, I forget which). I asked people about their experience in this area. Some folks who had always-on USB ports didn't seem to have a problem, while some quickly did and rewired things. Me, I played it safe, and wired the leads to the Panel TAPP such that it received juice only when the bike was on.

·
Registered
723 Posts
wow some sweet accessories there wspollack nice!!

Ride Safe,
Rob

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
wow some sweet accessories there wspollack nice!!

Ride Safe,
Rob
Well, thanks, but @Vinish gets to enjoy them now. He left my house with that bike this summer, riding 700+ miles that first day, and I haven't seen him or the bike since (i.e., note the "Sold" in my signature).

·
Registered
723 Posts
I did notice that Bill...curiosity killed the cat but i am curious as to why you let such a sweet ride get away from you? Vinish is lucky lad ...8)

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
I did notice that Bill...curiosity killed the cat but i am curious as to why you let such a sweet ride get away from you? Vinish is lucky lad ...8)

Cheers,

Rob
Let me start off commenting on the "sweet ride."

I reviewed the XCT for webBikeWorld, after my first season on it: https://www.webbikeworld.com/victory-cross-country-tour-review/ . I think that was a very favorable review, and I continued in that light with some additional comments, at the bottom of the article, after having spent even more time on it.

Given the handling and suspension, ergos and comfort, cruise control, ease of maintenance, and storage, I find the XCT to be one of the marvels of recent-year baggers.

(Note that I did sit on the new Yamaha Star Venture at Americade last summer, and rocked it back and forth, but that's it. Seemed very well made, with lots of features. OTOH -- and more on this in a bit -- it's about 100 lbs. heavier than the XCT. Also, of course, I haven't ridden the brand new 'Wing, which is actually lighter than the prior version. Same goes for the latest Beemer. So I'm not completely on top of the subject anymore.)

All of that said:

1) I'm not as tough as I once was. I'll be 70 in a couple of months, and I think I peaked at, oh, maybe 15. I know there are some Cross-bike riders who are my seniors, and more power to them.

In any event, the XCT was becoming more than I wanted to heft around, getting it off the sidestand, certainly backing up in rare occasions, and even, to some extent, muscling through twisties (of which I'm a big fan).

2) My wife sustained a very bad wrist injury about two years ago that has precluded, almost completely, her riding with me. So I don't need all that storage as much, and the nice passenger accommodations, and the adjustable passenger floorboards, etc.

3) I owned a Burgman 650 scooter from 2007 - 2012 (traded it in on the XCT). Planning for a track day in 2016, at a particularly twisty track, I borrowed a 2008 Big Burger for the occasion, from my buddy Ken, who happened to have a little-used one in his garage.

I had forgotten how flickable those scoots are, enjoyed it immensely (see Non-Sportbike Track Day, Palmer, MA, 08-22-2016 for a description, videos, etc., of that day), and bought it from him a month later. (I did another track day on it this year -- Non-Sportbike Track Day, Palmer, MA, 08/21/2017 -- which confirmed this.)

Also, although the Burger is no featherweight at c. 610 lbs., it's somewhat surprising how much easier, how much less of a hassle it seems, when you just want to back it out the garage, and take a quick run to the hardware store. That is, the loss of c. 250 lbs. sort of changes the dynamic of things ... at least for this old guy.

I mostly miss the cruise control, because I also take some long trips (aside from day trips in the twisties of NY, VT, and MA, sometimes all in one day). Last fall, I was on my way to my daughter's house in Asheville, NC, and had just done a 600-mile superslab day on the Burger. I spoke with her the next morning, from the hotel parking lot, and learned that some family members now had the flu. So I turned the scoot around, and went 400 miles to my brother's house, in Philadelphia. That sort of thing.

So, nothing against the XCT. I was still fond of it, but it was becoming less appropriate for me.

Glad you asked?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Bill P. -- I don't know if you ever experienced the XR, but it is a completely different animal from XCs and XCTs. I work on friends bikes and their XCs are WAY more heavy and top heavy than my XR. I won't even mention the Vision.
I'm by far no Charles Atlas and can handle the XR easily. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Bill P. -- I don't know if you ever experienced the XR, but it is a completely different animal from XCs and XCTs. I work on friends bikes and their XCs are WAY more heavy and top heavy than my XR. I won't even mention the Vision.
I'm by far no Charles Atlas and can handle the XR easily. Just sayin'.
Yeah, that was probably another option, and probably a good one. I had ridden everything Victory made at factory demo days, but that was years back, and I didn't have a good handle on the different feel of the lighter bikes.

Truth was, I got the used 2008 Burgman cheap -- um, used, and eight years old -- in late 2016, and so it was in my possession already, and paid for, and the XCT was paid for. And so I just decided, in 2017, that having two bikes in the garage was silly (and space-consuming), especially since I was hardly ever riding one of them anymore.

But, yep, things might've worked out satisfactorily if the garage contained, say, an XR and the XCT. Good point.

·
Registered
723 Posts
That's a GREAT article Bill I am glad I asked to...and your reasons are all sound....I suppose each of us will enevitably face that decision at some point in our riding life...I am 64 today actually and still just love the CTs ride and comfort to much to give it up for the less weight....so for now I will stay with it......Great to hear you are still riding and that's to bad about the misses' being able to travel along...company for me anyways always adds to the pleasure of the ride LOL well almost always!....Ride safe and enjoy!! Thanks for the wonderful explanation!!

Cheers,

Rob

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Rob, at 64 I was at my peak - a very spirited rider. Riding two up with Pretty Wife, we put on tens of thousands of miles. At 64, we went to Europe, rented a very top heavy BMW K1200LT and challenged many Alp passes for a month. Now 81 and not as strong, I am so thankful for my XR as it keeps my riding a "big bike" without having to deal with the heft of one. And it solves the problem of having to have multiple bikes - the XR does it all, so its all I need. Like Bill's Burg scoot. Incidentally, I have a lot of respect for maxi scoots. I got in with a group of 'em in some very serious twisties and I had all I could do to stay with them.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts