Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I read about the removal of the cats to reduce engine heat. There are pros and cons.

Has anyone just drilled several holes through the cats vs completely removing them to reduce air resistance?

Would that lessen heat and reduce the amount of low end torque loss?

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
When I read about the removal of the cats to reduce engine heat. There are pros and cons.

Has anyone just drilled several holes through the cats vs completely removing them to reduce air resistance?

I personally wouldn't go through all that trouble to not remove them. It's possible that just making larger holes in the cats can make the flow worse but not having a uniform path for the gas pulse.

·
Registered
4,068 Posts

Like I said in a few other threads this idea crossed my mind but I decided against it. The cats are small so it probably doesn't take a lot of cat material to produce a lot of heat. I also agree with broggyr on the flow. To get any benefit(reduced heat) its likely all or nothing.
I'd still like to hear from someone that might try a partial cat-ectomy. ;)

edit: I wanted to edit something in that I thought of after posting. Removing the cats does nothing to reduce "engine heat". If you have a lean running bike that is running hot, taking the cats out won't do a thing to reduce that type of heat, in fact it'll make it worse. De-catting only reduces the heat coming from over-heating cats.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I have removed the cats on both my Vision and XCT. It would be very hard to just remove some as they will just crush and crumble on itself. It's a hard honeycomb type of material.

As far as heat is concerned, the left cat is at the end of the crossover pipe, before the rear turning pipe to the left muffler. Right next to that cat is the oil filter. While it may not specifically make the engine run cooler, not heating that sucker up must help in some degree.

People will always have their own opinion but I'm very happy without them. Both bikes have upgraded air intake and exhausts, and PCV's with the autotunes. They both run perfectly and breath easy.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dallas, I spent a few weeks studying the exhaust flow, pressure and temp of my whole system and each side individually at 2500-3000. It started out as analyzing how different baffle setups effect overall flow at specific rpms and morphed into how the header/crossover functions at specific rpms (where and how I ride). The end result is I yanked just the right side cat and run slightly more back reassure on the left side. I'm happy with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts