Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the passenger backrest installed on my new Cross Roads last year. After a 6-hour trip to Sturgis, my girlfriend is no longer keen on this backrest. It hurts her lower back. She is a little taller, 5'-10". Looking to sell the backrest and find a suitable replacement. I had Ultimate Seats on my last bike and had no issues. Unfortunately, they don't make them for Victory bikes, yet. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
I had the passenger backrest installed on my new Cross Roads last year. After a 6-hour trip to Sturgis, my girlfriend is no longer keen on this backrest. It hurts her lower back. She is a little taller, 5'-10". Looking to sell the backrest and find a suitable replacement. I had Ultimate Seats on my last bike and had no issues. Unfortunately, they don't make them for Victory bikes, yet. Any suggestions?
The big plus of that passenger backrest is that it's a snap to install and remove. I'm not aware if anybody else has copied that mechanism yet.

Have you considered the trunk? It's something you could take along on long trips, and I'm sure she'll appreciate the extra cargo space besides the greater area of back support.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Well I can not help on another brand or make other then the kewlmetal one.

That said if you are wanting to sale yours, PM me. I would be interested if the price is right! cheers

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Give Utopia a call. Since CR/CC have an open fender under the seat and their mount attaches to the seat bottom they should be able to tell you if their drivers backrest will also work for passenger installation.
By the way, my wife is 5' 7" and has nothing but good comments about the OEM backrest. We put on about 900 miles in 2 days in October and she was comfortable the whole trip.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. One of the issues with a new model is that there aren't a lot of aftermarket options for certain parts in the infancy. Would be nice if Vic offered a few diff styles for the backrest. We all know if she isn't happy then it doesn't make for an enjoyable ride. Will check out the other options mentioned. BSD, I will let you know if I decide to sell the backrest.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Thanks for the replies. One of the issues with a new model is that there aren't a lot of aftermarket options for certain parts in the infancy. Would be nice if Vic offered a few diff styles for the backrest. We all know if she isn't happy then it doesn't make for an enjoyable ride. Will check out the other options mentioned. BSD, I will let you know if I decide to sell the backrest.
You might want to consider modifying the backrest. Keep the easy on/off mechanism, and make it go higher or forward (or lower/backward) to get more support in a more comfortable position for the passenger.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
My wife of 5'2" and my daughter of 5'10" like the back rest.
Maybe tbags' girlfriend is the problem! :crzy:

tbags, tell her you've exchanged the backrest with a more expensive model. See if the placebo effect works on her. thumb up

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Maybe tbags' girlfriend is the problem! :crzy:

tbags, tell her you've exchanged the backrest with a more expensive model. See if the placebo effect works on her. thumb up

I'm beginning to think so! A new rider would a cheaper alternative. Did I say that out loud? ;)

I think the issue is the angle of the seat....it is angled too far back for her liking and puts pressure on her lower back. Moving the angle forward might do the trick. I do like the easy on/off so my preference is to keep it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Is she slumping down in the seat?
A lot of guys gals has complained about the floorboards being being too far up. Ya reckon that's what is causing the problem, at 5"10" her legs may be putting pressure on her pelvis causing her back to hurt.
I have that problem with cruise pegs up too far, it causes my lower back to hurt because of the above.

Take a small pillow and put it behind her. I have several friends wives that do that, they say it makes it very comfortable.

just a thought

dd

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is she slumping down in the seat?
A lot of guys gals has complained about the floorboards being being too far up. Ya reckon that's what is causing the problem, at 5"10" her legs may be putting pressure on her pelvis causing her back to hurt.
I have that problem with cruise pegs up too far, it causes my lower back to hurt because of the above.

Take a small pillow and put it behind her. I have several friends wives that do that, they say it makes it very comfortable.

just a thought

dd
While I like her long legs, I think that is part of the problem. Do you know if any of them have modified the positioning of the floorboards? It doesn't appear there is a lot of room to work with regarding that.

·
Registered
528 Posts
There has been several that has cut 1-1.5 inches out of the mount and welded them then painted them black
Buy the design it should be rather easy for a welding shop to do.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
There has been several that has cut 1-1.5 inches out of the mount and welded them then painted them black
Buy the design it should be rather easy for a welding shop to do.
One could make it adjustable too. I was surprised they didn't think of making it adjustable when they designed it. The supporting members could be duplicated and have them slide and lock at different positions.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Do they make aftermarket floorboards/pegs for the Cross Roads? The pegs are positioned too high, not allowing for her to sit flat on the seat and the backrest is hitting her lower back. Moving the pegs forward and/or down would make a big difference.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here is what I was able to find

2" Splined Adapter Mount for Küryakyn Footpegs (pr)
$42.59 * This is adjustable so you can raise or lower the peg.

Splined Adapter Mounts for Cruisers Cross Roads All None 8828

you will need either a kuryakyn type peg or a HD style peg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks DD for doing some legwork. I will check that out. I'm sure the gf will appreciate it. thumb up

·
Registered
528 Posts
Most of the stuff I post I have a folder with links in it that I use. I do a lot of fabricating, some bolt on and some 1 off stuff.
Your welcome

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update on passenger backrest and pegs

I took the advice of a few people and consulted a welder. Had him cut the passenger pegs down an 1-3/4".

100_3261.jpg

Also, had 4" added to the height of the backrest and the angle moved forward from 75 degrees to 85 degrees.

100_3262.jpg

100_3263.jpg

Will look at getting the rest of the backrest chromed during the winter months. Summers are too short in the great white north. Took the girlfriend out for a ride and she noticed the difference immediately. Guess I won't have to trade her in for a new model, at least for now.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Very nice mods. Passenger ergonomics are often overlooked on bikes. Glad to hear you were able to make the SO happy.

Cheers

1 - 20 of 21 Posts