Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setup is PBR 300x4 with Kicker premium speakers (4 speakers)

Question: What are the recommended setting for the following

Crossover switch LP-AP-HP (I believe AP)??

Variable High Level Adjustment 4v to 6v DC (No idea)??

Gains set to 2-3 ??

I've researched posts and have found all the other information on PBR300x4 installation but have not located info on these question, a little help please.

·
Registered
233 Posts
LP - is low pass
HP- is high pass
AP- is all pass.
Set it to AP. I do not know about the variable high level adjustment. For the gain if I remember right you set the volume than adjust gain to it is distorted than back it off till it is clear again. Think mine landed on a little over2

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Running this amp with JL 6.5 in front and Victroy Lid 6X9's I found my gain settings front and rear to be best around 4. AP is chosen, and as far as the 4v to 6v setting.......smack dab in the middle...:confused:

Before setting your gain...... pick a music source like an I-pod and a song with good crisp sound like Steely Dan's "Josie" and start with the gain set to "0".

Set your volume to 3/4 and bass and treble on head unit to center. doing front speakers first then rear. Now turn up your gain slowly until it is loud and just starting to distort. Now back off slowly and listen carefully until it is clean. Stop! that is your gain setting for the front. Repeat for the rear.

If you change speakers down the road pay attention to the RMS rating of your speaker and do not exceed 100 watts RMS and you will have an efficient set up for your RF PBR300X4 amp.

Another note... I mounted a computer cooling fan behind the amp under my fairing with a separate blue LED switch to aid its efficiency during these hot Florida summer rides. Quite effective.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for that information that will do it!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Pay attention when setting your gains on your amplifier. An amplifier does just that...... amplifies whatever signal you put in it. I dont know about anyone else but my stock head unit was distorted way before 3/4 volume. Do what was mentioned earlier but with your head unit running speakers first to find out when your head unit power starts distorting. Do the test with quite afew choices of music of what you listen to, get an average of where the volume level is and use that or a notch or two below that as your "max clean" volume. Then when you have your amplifier installed and running start with gains down low and see how your speakers react as you increase your gains slowly. I know its sounds like alot of "testing" but the whole idea is to have your speakers receive a clean amplified signal. If you have a distorted signal going into your amp , then you are going to have a "amplified" distorted signal to your speakers. As far as power rating on speakers, you can blow up or damage your speakers way below the power rating if it is distorted. Sorry for long winded reply, just trying to save you some $ and time down the road. thumb up

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you great information!

·
Registered
244 Posts
According the manual, as for the 4v or 6v option, since you're using that amp in line with the factory stereo's amplified output, set it to 6v. This delays the ON feature of the RF amp just enough to avoid any POP that might come from the factory unit firing up.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Its strange...I have my amp set to a gain 5...and love the music out of my Alpine speakers. Of course, I listen to (and adjusted my amp to)...mostly Pandora and MP3...and I can assure you there is a HUGE difference in volume levels as opposed to listening to FM radio (which I NEVER do).

·
Registered
244 Posts
FM stations brickwall compress all of the audio to make it sound louder....because somewhere, someone decided that louder was better - because it gets your attention more. In layman's terms, this audio compression makes the louder stuff closer in volume to the quiet stuff...then, they crank up the result...which makes EVERYTHING louder.

You'll maybe notice that music from the 70's, 80's, 90's, etc. all might have a different volume when you play back from an iPod or stream. 90's will be louder than the 80's. 00's will be louder than the 90's, etc. This is the progression within the industry where they started thinking that if they made their mix a little louder than the other guy, it would grab your attention more....

That's if it hasn't been "remastered". IF it's been remastered, you maybe be pissed off because they ruined your favorite songs. Excessive audio compression ruins dynamics...the artist wanted some parts quiet and other parts loud...

I guess this was the long way of saying...yeah...that's not your fault! :D

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That's if it hasn't been "remastered". IF it's been remastered, you maybe be pissed off because they ruined your favorite songs.
I agree, especially with your last statement, but then I am a HUGE believer that the best music ever occurred between 1966 and 1976. If there were such as a thing as a bell curve, the apex of which would be about 1969. Since 1980 music has pretty much been stagnant EXCEPT for a few stray gems that raise up out of the ruins. :)

But that is a discussion for another topic. LOL

Thanks for the explanation.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Here's a great visual explanation. The top waveform is the original. The middle one is where they squashed all of the louder audio spikes to match the level of the quieter spikes. The bottom image is a view of after they took the result and jacked up the volume to the max level.

Result...EVERYTHING seems loud.

This is already happening to the mixes before they go on the radio. Then, the radio stations are doing it AGAIN upon broadcast. Turning turds into bigger turds.

OP: Sorry for the hijack.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Completed install: Best setting for me were crossover AP, variable high level 5, gains set to 3.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Completed install: Best setting for me were crossover AP, variable high level 5, gains set to 3.
With the Kicker factory speakers I think you will be good at 3 for your gain. I believe they are 50 watt rated and your amp is putting out 75 watts. No distortion? Then all is good. How do you like the difference?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No distortion, really crisp, sounds great, plenty loud for me almost at the range of obnoxious! Well worth the $$$

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
No distortion, really crisp, sounds great, plenty loud for me almost at the range of obnoxious! Well worth the $$$
That's good to know. The fact that you can improve on the upgraded factory Kickers with just an amp is money in the bank. The best part is you are satisfied. I wont even mention how much I put in my set up.....:crzy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts