Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a strange problem with my bike I'm hoping maybe someone here can help because after 2 days of trouble shooting I'm about to give up. The bike is an 08 Jackpot. I have recently added a Lloydz intake, and the PCV with auto tune. The bike already had a stage 1 shotgun exhaust with reflash and I also added monster baffles at the same time I added the intake and PCV. Now onto my problem. When the bike gets warmed up it dies. This happened after adding the PCV. I had ridden the bike before the install and all was well. Now the kicker is the bike will continue to run and never die if I leave the computer hooked up to the PCV and supply it constant power through the usb cable. When the bike dies it does not stumble or act up in any way it's just like hitting the kill switch. If I turn off the key and let the bike sit and reset it will start back up and then die a few minutes later. So far I have tried updating to the latest firmware (not sure if it took), removed checked and reinstalled all connections (all seemed ok), checked fuel line for kinks and obstructions, calibrated the throttle through the pc software. It seems as though the pcv is just losing power all of the sudden. It will be running fine and then the pcv will cut out, the green light goes off and the bike dies. My next step is possibly trying a new battery. I put a multimeter on the battery as the bike was running, but there was never a drop in voltage or any sign that there is a problem with battery power to the bike. Could it be possible that my battery is getting bad and the pcv and auto tune are just putting too much stress on the system? I did take the battery to the auto parts store to be tested and they said it was ok, but the kid didn't really seem to know what he was doing. Is that even possible since the pc doesn't get it's power supply directly from the battery? Is it possible that I just got a dud? If anyone has any troubleshooting ideas I'd sure like to hear them.

·
13,027 Posts
Call power comander
all so do a search here there is a lot of info and maps

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been searching forums for a few days, but can't seem to find anyone who has had any similar problems. I will call Fuel Moto on Monday to see if they have any suggestions or could replace the unit with a new one. I am a diesel tech by trade and am used to troubleshooting, but this is driving me nuts. I will try and replace the battery this afternoon and see what that gets me. If that doesn't work hopefully Power Commander or Fuel Moto will replace the unit.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It sounds like a power issue or there lack of, did you tap into the correct wire for a positive and get a good ground when hooking up the PCV? I know it sounds odd but I would check that first because it runs when on the computer. It sounds like the auto tune is having issues. What do you have it set to start tuning at? Do you have a temp sensor installed?cheers

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after an entire day of testing I'm still at a loss. I'm starting to think that I just got a bad PCV. For some reason when the pcv is hooked up my idle fluctuates between 850 and 900, and as before as long as the computer is hooked up it will run just fine, as soon as I remove the computer it dies out. The autotune is functioning fine. I have tried quite a few different maps to see if maybe it was a fueling problem but everything I have tried yields the same results. I have checked and triple check all of the connections, the ground and power are good. I'll be calling Fuel Moto on Monday to see if it's possible to get a new unit sent out. Please if anyone has any other troubleshooting ideas before I completely remove the pcv I'd really like to hear them.

Also on a side note. Is it possible with auto tune to just set my base maps for both cylinders at 0 and input my desired afr values in the table and let the auto tune build a map for me? I thought I would at least need a base map to allow the auto tune to make adjustments but a few things I've read made me think maybe it wasn't needed.

·
13,027 Posts
Have you gone to Power Commanders web sit and read threw there tips and trouble shooting.
Before calling the place where you bought it I would call Power Commander

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Still no luck. I have gone back through all of the connections for the fourth or fifth time. And still the same thing. Everything runs great at first, but as things warm up the idle starts to drop. It will settle in at about 850 rpm and shortly after it will die. On the first startup it will take about 7 or 8 minutes to die, then it will only run for about a minute every time after that. I am calling Power Commander tomorrow to get a replacement. I'm not how the controller is malfunctioning, but at this point I'm convinced it's a faulty controller and not something on the bike. Everything runs great if the controller is removed.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Someone here had a PCV/AT installed and the cylinders were swaped at the AT. I don't recall the exact symptoms, but it might be worth checking.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have checked the hookups at the AT they are all fine. I don't believe this is an AT problem, but an issue with the PCV itself. I did notice tonight after doing some more testing that after removing the PCV and running the bike the idle is still low and rough. I ran out of time tonight, but I'm going to remove the air intake and check the intake adapter (maybe I cracked it during the install of the Lloydz intake) I'm not sure if the low idle issue is causing a PCV problem or if the PCV caused the low idle issue? Also wondering if maybe the IAC valve may be at fault. Either way I'll be calling Fuel Moto in the morning and see if I can get a replacement PCV. I've been doing a lot of reading the past few days and it seems entirely possible I just got a bad unit. If anyone has any other ideas I'm open to any suggestions of something I may be missing.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It sounds like you should try to adjust the IAV as per the instructions given by Lloyd.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don't have an adjustable IAV from Lloydz, just the intake. I was just wondering if the stock one is messing up. A Lloydz might be the answer to my problem if all else fails. I am assuming the only way to adjust the idle on the 08 and up engines is to have it hooked up to digital wrench?

·
Registered
263 Posts
A thought occurred to me this morning after having followed this thread for a while. If I understand it correctly, the bike continues to run while plugged into the USB. When not plugged into the USB it dies shortly after starting.

I know you've dismissed the AT as the culprit, but the AT is where you've plugged the USB into and is what is receiving power from your computer. The fact that it dies shortly after starting when not plugged in seems consistent with about the time that the AT starts to work if you still have the default of 60 seconds set for the AT to kick in.

Try this: Go into your configuration and disable the AT and see what happens. I'm wondering if when the AT actually kicks in there's something happening in the electrical system that causes the bike to shut down due to lack of power. If you disable the AT and the bike continues to run, at least you know where to focus your attention.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A thought occurred to me this morning after having followed this thread for a while. If I understand it correctly, the bike continues to run while plugged into the USB. When not plugged into the USB it dies shortly after starting.

I know you've dismissed the AT as the culprit, but the AT is where you've plugged the USB into and is what is receiving power from your computer. The fact that it dies shortly after starting when not plugged in seems consistent with about the time that the AT starts to work if you still have the default of 60 seconds set for the AT to kick in.

Try this: Go into your configuration and disable the AT and see what happens. I'm wondering if when the AT actually kicks in there's something happening in the electrical system that causes the bike to shut down due to lack of power. If you disable the AT and the bike continues to run, at least you know where to focus your attention.
I'll give this a try, but maybe I'm missing something. I have been plugging the usb into the PCV with the auto tune also connected through the CAN connector to the PCV. Should the usb be plugged into the AT instead? The only reason I've focused on the PCV was because I had this problem before AT was ever installed, and I have disconnected the AT a couple times and the problem still persists. That being said I'm going to try this tonight and see what happens with it hooked up and disabled. I did speak to Fuel Moto yesterday about it and to my surprise they said they had a Harley do the exact same thing once and it was a faulty controller. They have sent out a replacement and it should be here later this week. I'll continue to troubleshoot until it arrives incase there is another issue, but I'm hoping a new controller will resolve it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts