Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Victory repair shop (former dealer) suggests new PCM, after I told them it's running rough. Plugs were black, replaced them, battery terminals are clean, modded air and exhaust and Emissions system removed. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
Victory repair shop (former dealer) suggests new PCM, after I told them it's running rough. Plugs were black, replaced them, battery terminals are clean, modded air and exhaust and Emissions system removed. Thoughts?
Get a controller and a tune?

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
I'm curious too; as DP asked, do you have a tuner? If so what kind? If its a Dobeck type (manually adjustable) I suggest getting a digital AFR meter and adjusting your air/fuel ratio per a number of YouTube videos. Simple, easy and a helluva lot cheaper than a dyno tune. I did it and my engine is a lot smoother and stronger and I have peace of mind knowing EXACTLY what the AFRs are from idle to WOT.
BTW, do you keep the revs up - don't ride under 2500 and shift well over 3K. When accelerating, I enjoy shifting at 4500+.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
First thing you need to do is find a new mechanic because the one you are going to doesn't seem to know very much which is not surprising because most Victory "mechanics" don't have a clue. Second as mentioned above you need to tell us what kind of bike you have and what mods have been done to it. Can't read your mind.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
I'm curious too; as DP asked, do you have a tuner? If so what kind? If its a Dobeck type (manually adjustable) I suggest getting a digital AFR meter and adjusting your air/fuel ratio per a number of YouTube videos. Simple, easy and a helluva lot cheaper than a dyno tune. I did it and my engine is a lot smoother and stronger and I have peace of mind knowing EXACTLY what the AFRs are from idle to WOT.
BTW, do you keep the revs up - don't ride under 2500 and shift well over 3K. When accelerating, I enjoy shifting at 4500+.
I have to say, I often cruise under 2500 and seldom shift anywhere near 4500 unless I'm in a real hurry.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
You paid for the admission, but you are not seeing the show. Enjoy that bike DP - you live among some of the greatest riding roads there am. Very rural, smooth pavement, light to no traffic, no decreasing radius curves (that I can recall) and nice elevation changes. Been there and played that bike's throttle like a trombone. But maybe you are "older" than I am, not in years, but in mind. Or maybe I'm just in a "real hurry" most the time I'm riding the twisties.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2010 Jack, 19k miles, Torque Tube intake, Bassani Road Rage 2 into 1. Don't know the history of the bike, but finding a mechanic to work on Vics is daunting here. Next will have the throttle bodies cleaned and synced. Don't know if it has a tuner, I haven't had the tank off and I don't see one in the side compartment.

·
Premium Member
2,364 Posts
You paid for the admission, but you are not seeing the show. Enjoy that bike DP - you live among some of the greatest riding roads there am. Very rural, smooth pavement, light to no traffic, no decreasing radius curves (that I can recall) and nice elevation changes. Been there and played that bike's throttle like a trombone. But maybe you are "older" than I am, not in years, but in mind. Or maybe I'm just in a "real hurry" most the time I'm riding the twisties.
There is no need to run these up to 4500 RMPs to shift in normal operation, regardless of your age. You cruise around downtown at 4400?

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
There is no need to run these up to 4500 RMPs to shift in normal operation, regardless of your age. You cruise around downtown at 4400?
I avoid downtown anywhere. I head for them hills. Did I say need? No...its a want and I ain't normal as friends will attest. :crzy:

·
13,003 Posts
BadBoyZ
its nice you said what you have. Add it to your signature and you never have to tell us again.
If you had a fuel tuner it would be under one of the side covers and maybe under seat. Am pretty sure you don't need to sink the FI's. CA seams to be a hard place to find a tuner for sure. In that case go with a Maximum tuner. You can get the bike tuned using this guys equipment and when your done you'll be happy. He'll send you a tuner and a laptop you ride the bike the way he tells you several times. He'll tell you maps to load till its perfect. BS on needing a new ECM. Kevinx will be down in AZ for bike week and he could give a great tune too.

https://www.facebook.com/801MotoWorx/?fref=nf

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Actually, I added all the info on the bike a couple of days ago. The former dealer who now no longer works on them told me that they've had PCMs go bad before. They were the ones who suggested cleaning and syncing the throttle bodies.

I just put a tuner on my FatBob and don't notice much difference in how it runs, so I'm a little reluctant to shell out another 400 clams for another one.

·
Premium Member
13,195 Posts
Do you mean ECM; the onboard computer?

I haven't heard of anyone "syncing" the throttle bodies and they don't need cleaning on a 2010 like the pre-2008 models. It doesn't hurt to clean them whenever you change or clean your air filter but since you have to remove the tank to do it; it doesn't get done very often on the steel frame post 07 Vic's.

I think you have been getting some bad info and if you have Torque Tubes and an aftermarket exhaust then, like H_C said, you must have a tuner. It is not an option. You will burn up your engine by running too lean. It isn't a matter of if; just when. It will happen.

If you like the bike and plan on keeping it pretty much the way it's set up; you can get a PC-V and use one of the canned maps and then you can have have it dyno tuned or you can get the Maximus tune (research it) or you can get one of the Dobeck style piggy back tuners. Most people then get the bike dyno tuned but if you're handy you get the AFR gauge like RicZ said and tune it yourself.

There are no workarounds for these options. I just hope the engine isn't trashed already from running too lean.

·
Premium Member
13,195 Posts
Actually, I added all the info on the bike a couple of days ago.
It's good you put the info in your profile but the guys are talking about you putting that info in your signature line. You can access it by clicking on "User CP" then under settings and options click on "Edit Signature". Once info is entered click on "Save Signature". Done!

You don't want to have to answer what year and bike you have every time you have a question and we don't want to have to ask it. It's a time waster.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Plugs are black, not white, so it's not running lean. Dealer mechanic said PCMs can go south. As far as tuners go, I just put one on my FatBob and it didn't do squat. Mixed opinions on tuners.

·
Registered
12,222 Posts
Best to check plug color on the highway. Pull off the road - shut it down, no idling - then pull the plugs. If you've ridden through traffic to your garage and pulled the plugs, they will be sooty.

·
13,003 Posts
If you put a PCV on your FB you have to have it tuned you just can't guess at it.
Did you look for a tuner attachment under one of the side covers.
All vic spark plugs are more black then any other color. If your PCM was bad you wouldn't get out of the driveway. If you want to spend $640 bucks on something thats more then likely go ahead.
Were trying to help you but your fighting us why.

·
Premium Member
8,801 Posts
Ok ride out of town with 2 brand new plugs in your pocket and a plug spanner (wrench)
Find a nice long road or dragstrip and fit the new plugs then ride the bike hard till youre flat out in 4th gear then.
Pull in the clutch lever and hit the kill switch.
Stop the bike with the brakes leaving the clutch lever pulled in.
Now look at your plugs.
Its the only way to get a correct reading.

Those old black plugs you pulled out probably have thousands of miles of city profiling on them from a previous owner.
Sounds to me like your mechanic is full of ****.
It is possible you have no fuel controller and if so with your mods itll be dangerously lean and youll see white plug with the first turn of thread blue from heat and tiny specks on the insulator under the firing tip
( dont ask me how I know):devil
With a proper plug chop like Ive described my plugs told me I was way lean.
I booked in for PCV and dyno that afternoon and rode the bike very steady till then.
If Kevinx is heading your way then he is the Man! ...you wont know the bike after hes finished with it..
If you got the folding then get him to whack aset of .495 cams in it while hes there.

·
Premium Member
13,195 Posts
KevinX doesn't do any work in Cali due to the CARB emission laws there. In fact it's probably why the OP is having a hard time finding anyone to do anything to the bike there.

I think Kevin mentioned there's a $12k fine for putting cams and a tuner and dyno tuning a bike in CA. Crazy? Yep; but that's the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia for ya and it's getting worse all the time.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts