Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I looked at a decent amount of threads and did not really see anything one this. First i am looking into getting a PCV soon, but the problem i am having is that when my bike get above 9500 in elevation i have to keep on the throttle at idle so it doesn't die. I am wondering will a regular tune at my base elevation help some or will i need an auto tune to keep this from happening again

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
Good question...maybe @kevinx will know.
An IAV may help as it varies the amount of air ingested at idle.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Had my XC PCV Tuned first by Kyle and then again by KevinX and been to the top of Pikes Peak (14,000) with no Idle Problems .. Having KevinX 15 miles away just saw no need for Autotune .. But wouldn't mind seeing other input on this anyway ..

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I would really like to know for sure. If a PCV with it tuned to my bike will work I am all for that. The highest I have been was a little over 11k feet and it was real tough on the bike. If I have to deal with it some that's fine since I am not always at that elevation but I guess it's the concept that is killing me

·
Premium Member
6,019 Posts
You can switch maps on-the-go with PCV setup .... That should help you ??

A good tune is better then a AT that's my humbled opinion

·
12,970 Posts
I looked at a decent amount of threads and did not really see anything one this. First i am looking into getting a PCV soon, but the problem i am having is that when my bike get above 9500 in elevation i have to keep on the throttle at idle so it doesn't die. I am wondering will a regular tune at my base elevation help some or will i need an auto tune to keep this from happening again
would be nice if you said year and model

·
Premium Member
8,711 Posts
When you get up high, shut the bike off. When you go to start it, turn the key on and the kill switch to 'run' but don't touch the throttle... wait 15 seconds... then start it up. This will let the FI calibrate to the elevation.
Interesting! Thanks HC.
So is this the same with my Dyno tuned PCV?

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Interesting! Thanks HC.
So is this the same with my Dyno tuned PCV?
Absolutely! You don't lose the sensors when you dyno tune.

Lots of people act like a dyno tune is only good in the same weather and elevation you had it done at... not so.

As the ECU is 'booting up' it uses the MAP sensor as a baro sensor. It might not get it perfect at the elevations he's talking about, but it'll be closer than it was. Not sure how wide the parameters are for elevation but it does have some.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts