Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got up early today and tore the bike down. Installed Lloydz filter, PCV, and the Autotune module. Not a hard project but sucks if you have big hands like me. Those injectors are a bitch..lol. Also wired in some 6 light LED strips along the leading edge of the crash bars at the top for the "triangle of light". (pix to follow). Put it all back together and it started right up. Started to rain so will have to wait for first ride to see where my starting point is. I downloaded a map off the Dynotune website which was for RPW exhaust and hi flo filter. I have Witchdoc modified baffled exhaust..As I find out where I am at and download my autotune adjustments, I may need some help trying to understand how to fine tune the AFR, etc.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I know what you mean about the injector plugs... they sucked to do. When I did mine I still had the stock air box installed, I still have nightmares about that front cylinder connector.:crzy:

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
No expert on the PCV w AT but let the AT work it's magic for a while and then some better experienced member may give you some guidance to set your Trims ..

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
No expert on the PCV w AT but let the AT work it's magic for a while and then some better experienced member may give you some guidance to set your Trims ..
No, check what the afr settings are on the autotune stock and start adjusting, as I can almost guarantee you they will be rich...

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
No, check what the afr settings are on the autotune stock and start adjusting, as I can almost guarantee you they will be rich...
Yup, every "canned map" I've seen has been overly rich.

DavidT

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
weather has gotten better so about to ride for the first time. my question is how much or how far do I need to ride to make my first few adjustments. from what I understand I ride for a while then download the new autotune map into the PVC. the first few downloads may be a "larger" adjustment but as you drive and download the adjustments they will get smaller and smaller in nature....Correct?:confused:

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
weather has gotten better so about to ride for the first time. my question is how much or how far do I need to ride to make my first few adjustments. from what I understand I ride for a while then download the new autotune map into the PVC. the first few downloads may be a "larger" adjustment but as you drive and download the adjustments they will get smaller and smaller in nature....Correct?:confused:
Pretty close, yes. And I consider it more of a "merge" than a "download". You "accept" the trims into the base map. But, what a lot of folks don't understand, is that you DO NOT HAVE TO accept them (or merge them). The running, real time fuel settings are always the result of the aggregate of the base map and the trim tables....

·
Registered
340 Posts
While the real time fuel settings are a combination of the base map and fuel trim tables, you DO HAVE TO accept the trims if you want your AT to continue tuning, especially early on. When setting up the AT functions in the PCV, one of the things you do is set the limits on how much fuel the AT is permitted to add/remove. This is done in order to safeguard the engine should an O2 sensor crap out on you as it will prevent the AT from making any drastic changes.

Say for example you set the maximum "add" to 10 and "remove" to 5. The AT is now restricted to that variance from the base map. If at a certain RPM/throttle combination the AT determines it wants to add more than 10 (or remove more than 5), it must wait until you accept the trims thereby "clearing the slate" on the trim table. With the base map adjusted and the trim table zeroed out, the AT can then resume tuning until it once again hits the limits.

When you no longer see any of the limit numbers (10 or -5 in this example) in any of the cells on your trim table, the AT is essentially done tuning your bike. Some folks even turn off and/or remove their AT at this point. If left on, it will continue to adjust for changes in riding conditions, but you no longer need to continue the routine of accepting the trims because they more than likely will remain within the limits. If you decide down the road that you want to change your intake/engine/exhaust set up or start playing with your air/fuel ratio target table, the process of accepting the trims starts all over again.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
While the real time fuel settings are a combination of the base map and fuel trim tables, you DO HAVE TO accept the trims if you want your AT to continue tuning, especially early on. When setting up the AT functions in the PCV, one of the things you do is set the limits on how much fuel the AT is permitted to add/remove. This is done in order to safeguard the engine should an O2 sensor crap out on you as it will prevent the AT from making any drastic changes.

Say for example you set the maximum "add" to 10 and "remove" to 5. The AT is now restricted to that variance from the base map. If at a certain RPM/throttle combination the AT determines it wants to add more than 10 (or remove more than 5), it must wait until you accept the trims thereby "clearing the slate" on the trim table. With the base map adjusted and the trim table zeroed out, the AT can then resume tuning until it once again hits the limits.

When you no longer see any of the limit numbers (10 or -5 in this example) in any of the cells on your trim table, the AT is essentially done tuning your bike. Some folks even turn off and/or remove their AT at this point. If left on, it will continue to adjust for changes in riding conditions, but you no longer need to continue the routine of accepting the trims because they more than likely will remain within the limits. If you decide down the road that you want to change your intake/engine/exhaust set up or start playing with your air/fuel ratio target table, the process of accepting the trims starts all over again.
Good points, but remember that the AT can't tell if you are under load at a particular throttle position and rpm. So, the fuel requirement would be different. The fuel requirements will not remain constant. 3k rpm at 20% throttle might require adding 12 points of fuel under load, but may require removing 3 points under no load at the same cell! Fortunately, the AT unit can make these changes in real time (within the parameters defined in the enrichment/enleanment settings)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Good points, but remember that the AT can't tell if you are under load at a particular throttle position and rpm. So, the fuel requirement would be different. The fuel requirements will not remain constant. 3k rpm at 20% throttle might require adding 12 points of fuel under load, but may require removing 3 points under no load at the same cell! Fortunately, the AT unit can make these changes in real time (within the parameters defined in the enrichment/enleanment settings)
That's good info Gunslinger, possibly adding autotune to my horse soon... I'm hoping to be a pro at this @ install !

·
Registered
554 Posts
If the throttle is open you will be under load, it may be a heavy load or a light load but you are under load. Even decelerating is a load on the motor, albeit considered a light load it is a load. That said I do recommend at least accepting one set of trims because as described above if you need an adjustment outside of the normal 20%, due to a map issue you started with, you won't achieve the best results without accepting it as the auto tune will be limited.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Got up early today and tore the bike down. Installed Lloydz filter, PCV, and the Autotune module. Not a hard project but sucks if you have big hands like me. Those injectors are a bitch..lol. Also wired in some 6 light LED strips along the leading edge of the crash bars at the top for the "triangle of light". (pix to follow). Put it all back together and it started right up. Started to rain so will have to wait for first ride to see where my starting point is. I downloaded a map off the Dynotune website which was for RPW exhaust and hi flo filter. I have Witchdoc modified baffled exhaust..As I find out where I am at and download my autotune adjustments, I may need some help trying to understand how to fine tune the AFR, etc.
Ride over to Katy one weekend and you can try a map created on a dyno for Lloyds filter, NOEMTZ exhaust and PCV. May get you closer to your fine tuning faster. This map was done on a dyno by the Mr. Turbo shop in Houston.thumb up

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm fully aware of that, I even stated in my post that the AT will continue to adjust for changes in riding conditions. I just didn't want to see the OP install his AT, not accept any trims per your post, and then wonder why the AT didn't seem to be tuning his bike properly. Granted, he might not even notice if his initial base map was close enough.

Out of curiosity, how wide do you keep your enrichment/enleanment limits set? I haven't paid enough attention to my trim tables to get a feel for just how much variance to expect during the course of a typical ride.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ok...I did my first ride and merge. the first time i "saved map" but after reading the instructions (again) i saw were you go to autotune at the top and click on merge after bringing up the tables on the "tree". my base map must have been ok since I didn't have major changes. rode again and it seemed to run just fine. The best part was no exhaust popping. Looking forward to a good 100+ mile ride to see where I really am. Thanks to all for your help!:crzy:

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ride over to Katy one weekend and you can try a map created on a dyno for Lloyds filter, NOEMTZ exhaust and PCV. May get you closer to your fine tuning faster. This map was done on a dyno by the Mr. Turbo shop in Houston.thumb up
bought my bike from rick @ polaris west and have been meaning to come by and meet you. sure you have something I will need...lol.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Why are we directing him to accept his trims without directing him to set his AFR tables to a correct setup? Did you make any adjustments to your afr tables? The at 300 is a generic unit meant to fit any bike. You need to set your AFR tables up before you accept any trims, you bought the autotune to tune right?

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I'm fully aware of that, I even stated in my post that the AT will continue to adjust for changes in riding conditions. I just didn't want to see the OP install his AT, not accept any trims per your post, and then wonder why the AT didn't seem to be tuning his bike properly. Granted, he might not even notice if his initial base map was close enough.

Out of curiosity, how wide do you keep your enrichment/enleanment limits set? I haven't paid enough attention to my trim tables to get a feel for just how much variance to expect during the course of a typical ride.

I have a slightly different tuning method than most. I accept the trims periodically (maybe once every month or two), then go back into the fuel tables, and make sure there are no negative values (except for idle range) ! My enrichment is at the default of 20%, but I narrow the enleanment down to 6% or so. With proper parts, there should be no reason to remove fuel, UNLESS, the last "read" from the sensors was during a time a particular cell or range of cells was under no load! I tune more for load, and removing the negative values from the fuel tables eliminates pops and provides snappier throttle response for me!

I also tune so that cruise areas are around 13.8-14:1 and WOT is no richer than 13.5:1.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Why are we directing him to accept his trims without directing him to set his AFR tables to a correct setup? Did you make any adjustments to your afr tables? The at 300 is a generic unit meant to fit any bike. You need to set your AFR tables up before you accept any trims, you bought the autotune to tune right?
Good point, could you input all zeros in the base map and let the Auto tune build a base map for your components?

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Good point, could you input all zeroes in the base map and let the Auto tune build a base map for your components?
Yes you can start with a zero map, then set your afr tables up and the autotune will adjust to what you have set for afr's.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Yes you can start with a zero map, then set your afr tables up and the autotune will adjust to what you have set for afr's.
Lunatic, I may be getting the AT , I may need some of your wisdom. I'll PM ya when installed...cheers

1 - 20 of 20 Posts