Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every time I've run my bike with the O2 sensors unplugged(either with or without a fuel controller) I get engine popping between shifts.
The Power Commander install instructions say to disconnect the O2 sensors. So that's what I did, but sure enough I'm getting the engine popping again.
Is there any harm in running with the O2 sensors connected? Does anyone know the purpose for disconnecting the O2 sensors?
thanks

·
13,235 Posts
PCV will not work correctly. Popping is from bad map

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
where/when is it popping? settings can be adjusted in the pcv, leave o2s unhooked

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I think if a PVC is connected the O2 has no effect anymore, so the bike is running of the map only, the O2 are not connected to that map so even if you would keep them in your exhaust it would not have any effect

But surly others have a better explanation.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How did you map the PCV? A dyno tune should have cured poping. Dynojet makes a closed loop controller that assists PCV, check Web Site, but it requires you install wide band O2 sensors.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Figure out at what rpm the popping occurs on decel.
In the power commander software, in the 0% throttle column, put a value in that cell.

The 0% throttle column should have all zeros above idle speeds. If it is popping at 2500 rpm, put a value in that cell and the ones around it in the 0% column... like this...

Start with low values 2-5-2. If it still pops use 5-10-5 etc. If you go past 20 and it still pops, put -12 (minus twelve) in those cells.

If it is popping all over and on shifts, put -12 in all the 0% cells above 1500 rpm.

It probably would be a good idea to reset the throttle position in the Power Commander too.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak , check all connections and make sure your flange nuts at the head pipes are tight . Should be 12 ft lbs . Pull the 02's right out and put 18mm bung plugs in their place . I got mine off ebay for less then 10.00 shipped.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could be an exhaust leak , check all connections and make sure your flange nuts at the head pipes are tight.
where/when is it popping? settings can be adjusted in the pcv, leave o2s unhooked
I don't believe there is a leak, I know everything is tight. Plus it only started after the change over to the PCV
I've only had and hour on the bike since the install and the mapping seems excellent, other than the new popping. I can't be very specific, I'll have to pay close attention this weekend as to where its happening. But I notice the pop most when I up-shift from 1st-2nd and 2nd-3rd in my "typical riding style" where I shift around 2800-3000rpms

As I said in the OP, I used to get popping with the O2 sensors disconnected. Now that I've slept on it I realize, back then it was much more severe and a LOUD backfire(probably scared the **** out of a few cagers in traffic :rolleyes: ). The popping I'm getting now with the PCV is very minor by comparison. Since the PCV cuts off the O2 sensors I'm sure this can be taken care of with a tweak to the map.....which was the answer I was looking for.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Could be an exhaust leak , check all connections and make sure your flange nuts at the head pipes are tight . Should be 12 ft lbs . Pull the 02's right out and put 18mm bung plugs in their place . I got mine off ebay for less then 10.00 shipped.
+1 Good Post .. Definitely Check for that First ..

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You decided not to have Kyle run the bike with the Cobra on it then, since you already installed the PC-V?
Yes, the Cobra is off and I never did do the dyno run with it on, decided I didn't want to waste my money and instead put it toward the PCV and tune.
The bike is going to have dyno tuning with the PCV next weekend when KCM is at Mom's South in Foxborough, MA. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts