Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok let's try this again..just want to know if this combo can just be installed and left alone is it still going to tune the bike to my future changes or do I have to manually put maps in..I am stock now but have K&n coming soon and will be gutting my exhaust soon as well

Thank you
Z
2012 XC with PCV/autotune

·
Registered
554 Posts
If you install it with the stock map it will adjust the fuel on the fly and allow you to have better optimization. If you save the trim table to the PCV from the Auto Tune you will have a better base map and the Auto Tune will perform less work when you ride but will still adapt to riding conditions and log changes so you can in the future update that base map.

From the Auto tune portion of Dyno Jet's website:
Once installed, the Auto Tune kit monitors the fuel mixture (by installing the included Wide Band O2 sensor in the exhaust). It then sends this information to the Power Commander V and automatically corrects it while you ride. Each map that we offer has preset Air/Fuel ratio values included that we find to be the best overall settings. This lets you simply plug in the unit and let it do the work. For Harley Davidson models we ever monitor and adjust each cylinder individually for increased precision as on these models required fueling can vary significantly between the front and rear cylinder.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool that was my primary idea plug it all in and let it do its thing as I do mine (exhaust and air intake) with out having the need of dyno shop

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
I have a 2011 XR and I recently put on the no-baffle mufflers from Witchdoctor. They sound great and the performance didn't really change, but the problem is that they're really loud during deceleration and even "burp" when I let off the throttle to shift up.

Would a PCV-AT setup fix this problem?

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
I have a 2011 XR and I recently put on the no-baffle mufflers from Witchdoctor. They sound great and the performance didn't really change, but the problem is that they're really loud during deceleration and even "burp" when I let off the throttle to shift up.

Would a PCV-AT setup fix this problem?
Yes. It would. You could also try the Lloydz IAV valve either alone or with the PCV but you should be able to tune out most of the popping with the PCV.

I imagine you have already checked your exhaust flanges to make sure they aren't leaking.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
So I'm pretty new to all this, but it's not a loud popping like a backfire, it's more of a loud gurgling (is that a word?). Is that the same as what you're calling popping?

I like how you say "imagine" rather than 'assume". :):) We all know what happens when we assume. LOL

So I installed the mufflers per the instructions and I've never done anything like that before. Can you give me more details about the flanges so that I can check them?

Thanks so much for your help! :)

·
Premium Member
13,158 Posts
Ok let's try this again..just want to know if this combo can just be installed and left alone is it still going to tune the bike to my future changes or do I have to manually put maps in..I am stock now but have K&n coming soon and will be gutting my exhaust soon as well

Thank you
Z
Yes but you should at least download the correct map the addon's you install and clear the fuel chart to give it a running start.

If you are asking if it's completely plug and play. No; but it isn't difficult either. A little bit of a learning curve but not too bad. Anyone who can navigate a smart phone or the Internet should be able to do those basic things and then accept the trims from time to time. Probably a video or 10 on it on YouTube.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
Hey Bob,

I got my D&D's, PC5, Auto-Tune, IAV, Adjustable Timing Gear, and Lloyds High Flow air filter installed yesterday.

I only have 100 miles on the bike and havn't really pressed it past 3,000 rpm's yet. I got one small pop yesterday. Other than that everything was great.

Is there any advantage or reason to bring your bike to get dyno'd while running the auto tune?

Like to fine tune the timing or something like that? Or should I just leave it be and break it in as is? :confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
No real need for a dyno tune if your running auto tune..unless your trying to to squeeze everything out of her. But if you do decide to dyno tune I would wait till your break in is done.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes but you should at least download the correct map the addon's you install and clear the fuel chart to give it a running start.

If you are asking if it's completely plug and play. No; but it isn't difficult either. A little bit of a learning curve but not too bad. Anyone who can navigate a smart phone or the Internet should be able to do those basic things and then accept the trims from time to time. Probably a video or 10 on it on YouTube.
EXACTLY....once you download a couple of updates after a couple of rides, then the "range" of adjustment will be within the parameters and there will be no need to download any more...unless you change something.

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
No real need for a dyno tune if your running auto tune..unless your trying to to squeeze everything out of her. But if you do decide to dyno tune I would wait till your break in is done.

I just cannot seem to wrap my brain around the need to dyno tune a auto tuner. Wouldn't the map that the dyno tuner created be changed as soon as you start riding your bike. To my understanding the auto tune is a map constantly changing at all times. Give it some throttle that map changes yet again.

I just wondered about the timing part, having a adjustable timing gear, and the power commander does timing too. I would think that would need to be set to optimize everything. I got 48.8 miles to the gallon on my way home from the dealership. Mostly highway driving, occasionally hitting 75 then 70, 65, and 60 and back up again trying to change speeds often while breaking my bike in. I took a few exit's and got right back on the highway, breaking her in the correct way. Kinda hard when the highway is the only way home. lol

Anyway correct me if I'm wrong. When a person Dyno tunes a bike they would have to disconnect the auto tune feature and dyno tune the bike and create a map. Then re-connect the auto tune and let the bike adjust itself from a good solid time and mapping session.

I don't really have a clue. But I figured I would ask. :confused:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I just cannot seem to wrap my brain around the need to dyno tune a auto tuner. Wouldn't the map that the dyno tuner created be changed as soon as you start riding your bike. To my understanding the auto tune is a map constantly changing at all times. Give it some throttle that map changes yet again.

I just wondered about the timing part, having a adjustable timing gear, and the power commander does timing too. I would think that would need to be set to optimize everything. I got 48.8 miles to the gallon on my way home from the dealership. Mostly highway driving, occasionally hitting 75 then 70, 65, and 60 and back up again trying to change speeds often while breaking my bike in. I took a few exit's and got right back on the highway, breaking her in the correct way. Kinda hard when the highway is the only way home. lol

Anyway correct me if I'm wrong. When a person Dyno tunes a bike they would have to disconnect the auto tune feature and dyno tune the bike and create a map. Then re-connect the auto tune and let the bike adjust itself from a good solid time and mapping session.

I don't really have a clue. But I figured I would ask. :confused:
Look at this way...with the auto tune you can set your AFR to what ever you want...well within reason anyways. Let's say you set your target AFR at 13.7 , the auto tuner is going to adjust to hit that target AFR. You ride it for awhile varying your different throttle positions. Then you can accept those trim tables then go out riding again and it will try to get closer to hit that target AFR some more (fine tuning it). Some guys leave the auto tune function going all the time...others get it as close as they can and turn the auto tune function off. It shouldn't really change ( the tune) until you change something else on your bike..different high flow air filter, cams, exhaust ect...

A dyno tuner will basically start from an empty map and build you a custom map using the dyno meter as a tool. A lot of tuners will try to get as much HP and Tq out of her while keeping driveability.

That would be a completely separate map from what your auto tuner created...depending on how you do it. They also make a " map switch" that would allow you to switch maps without having to connect your laptop to it to push the map to the PC5.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out Cobra FI2000

The Cobra is supposed to autotune for any combination of filter, pipes, flash, etc. No dyno needed. Takes a reading 80 times per second. Adjust for any gear, slow roll-on, full throttle, whatever. I'm putting one on this winter. (Not too cold to ride in AL!)

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
The Cobra is supposed to autotune for any combination of filter, pipes, flash, etc. No dyno needed. Takes a reading 80 times per second. Adjust for any gear, slow roll-on, full throttle, whatever. I'm putting one on this winter. (Not too cold to ride in AL!)
You don't come on here often do ya?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Don't come here often? Not sure how you mean this?

If y'all talked about it earlier, ok. But if thats true, then why would there be a dyno question referencing when you change things? Hmmmmm. There are also a lot of Dyno-Tunes out there, and they do not all operate the same. Technology improves quite rapidly these days.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Don't come here often? Not sure how you mean this?

If y'all talked about it earlier, ok. But if thats true, then why would there be a dyno question referencing when you change things? Hmmmmm. There are also a lot of Dyno-Tunes out there, and they do not all operate the same. Technology improves quite rapidly these days.
No man I was just poking fun at ya, the Cobra has been discussed in great detail on here and has been proven to not work as advertised...

·
Premium Member
900 Posts
No man I was just poking fun at ya, the Cobra has been discussed in great detail on here and has been proven to not work as advertised...

I wish there was a like button on these forums. :) I knew what both of you meant. Cobra does claim to do everything PC5 does with auto tune for half the price. I remember reading that in several threads and dyno tuners proved it to be incorrect.

And everyone knows a true dyno tune from a good tuner will give you a better map for hp/tq than a auto tune can.

On the other hand the auto tuner has saved a lot of people like myself that live in rural area's and do not have access to those good victory tuners. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts