Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for advice for an upcoming trip this year to hotter temperatures. I have a PCV and running map M19-009-003 which is suppose to be the stage one set up. I am afraid this is going to be to lean. What map or set up are folks running in temperatures that are 100F and above. Did your auto tuner change the map much from the basic stage one?

Thanks

·
Registered
155 Posts
i do not think that the temp diff will be enough to remap your bike.especially if it is just for a trip.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Looking for advice for an upcoming trip this year to hotter temperatures. I have a PCV and running map M19-009-003 which is suppose to be the stage one set up. I am afraid this is going to be to lean. What map or set up are folks running in temperatures that are 100F and above. Did your auto tuner change the map much from the basic stage one?

Thanks
I changed quite a bit of the default autotuner map for the 106 engine, but that was all at the lower throttle/rpm settings. Not so much at the highway cruising settings. Your highway cruising range should be in the 2750 to 3250 RPM range. The stock map has 20% throttle set to 13.7 and the 40% throttle is at 13.2. If you're concerned about engine heat you could possibly richen the 20% setting to maybe 13.6 or 13.5, but you'd probably want to test that out a bit before your trip doing some longer highway runs and see how it affects your mileage. Theoritically it would run cooler at a richer setting.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Looking for advice for an upcoming trip this year to hotter temperatures. I have a PCV and running map M19-009-003 which is suppose to be the stage one set up. I am afraid this is going to be to lean.
The air is thinner, thus for the throttle opening/rpm it should draw less air and run richer i.e. lower air to fuel ratio.

·
Registered
263 Posts
The air is thinner, thus for the throttle opening/rpm it should draw less air and run richer i.e. lower air to fuel ratio.
I would think the closed loop and broadband O2 sensor would automatically adjust for that as it does in any EFI system. It might be useful to increase the maximum allowable trim value so it doesn't get choked off when it tries to compensate to achieve the target AFR.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks folks for all the advise, I forgot to mention that my O2 sensors are disconnected.

Thanks

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was just about to ask since you didn't outright specify that you have an AT module hooked up to your PCV. Sounds like you don't... right?

The bike should have a temp sensor to compensate for thermal variations, PCV or not. But, a PCV with AT would probably have even more adjustment range. Regardless, you should still be ok if you're just talking about temp swing, assuming all your sensors are functioning correctly.

Now that I said that, I realize I'm just assuming vics have temp sensors as part of the EFI system... do they, guys?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Got it, thanks Bbob

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes. There is a temp sensor. It's also part of the warm up programming. It runs for X amount of time or until the heads get to a certain programmed temp.
BBob I am really curious to see your map, and how it differs from the stage one map. Since your in hot climate in Western Arizona?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Thanks folks for all the advise, I forgot to mention that my O2 sensors are disconnected.

Thanks
Alright...now I'm really confused :crzy:

Your original post asked if the auto tuner changed the map, which led me to believe you had the autotune on the bike. But then you said you have your O2 sensors disabled which would pretty much make an autotuner useless. Do you have the Autotune on your PCV?

It also opens up an interesting situation. When you're running the stock map and disconnect the O2 sensors, basically you're creating a richer AFR to overcome the stock map's very lean settings. If you then add a PCV with the Dynojet M19-002-003 map, it would seem to me that you've created an overly rich condition on your bike. Assuming the M19-002-003 map was developed on a dyno with a bike that has the O2 sensors engaged (which I think is a pretty fair assumption), the PCV fuel map would be designed to compensate from a stock Victory ECU map to achieve the best target AFR's as measured by the dyno, basically achieving the same thing as disconnecting the O2 sensors on a stock Victory ECU. With the O2 sensors disconnected, wouldn't those PCV fuel map settings then be making the engine run overly rich?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
DunedinDragon,
I was asking the folks "Did your auto tuner change the map much from the basic stage one?"
I do not have factory stage one flash, I bought the PCV and running map M19-009-003 which is suppose to be the factory stage one.

Hope this helps, sorry for any confusion.

·
Registered
263 Posts
DunedinDragon,
I was asking the folks "Did your auto tuner change the map much from the basic stage one?"
I do not have factory stage one flash, I bought the PCV and running map M19-009-003 which is suppose to be the factory stage one.

Hope this helps, sorry for any confusion.
Actually, that's long been a question for me. I'm not sure where you heard the 003 map is a factory stage one map, but from what I understand Dynojet builds these maps by simply building them on a dyno machine using the bike setup specified. Whether or not the bikes they are Dyno'ing already have the stage one flash is not clear. They most certainly aren't building these maps with bikes that have the O2 sensor disconnected, so their map will be off if you have your sensors disconnected.

I guess the only way to really be sure, if you don't have an Autotune, is to take your bike into a good dyno person and have your map set up and tuned to your specific configuration.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Actually fellas that's incorrect. The factory oxygen sensors must be disconnected as part of the pcv install and you should be running the stock map on the ecu, so the OP is"doing it right" so to speak. That doesn't guarantee the pcv map is ideal for his bike though, since as we all know every bike varies a bit.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Actually fellas that's incorrect. The factory oxygen sensors must be disconnected as part of the pcv install and you should be running the stock map on the ecu, so the OP is"doing it right" so to speak. That doesn't guarantee the pcv map is ideal for his bike though, since as we all know every bike varies a bit.
Wow...I've wondered about that for a long time but could never get a clear answer about the base fuel map for the PCV. Thanks for finally clearing it up!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts