Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, for the guys who have installed a power commander 5 I have a question. I'm getting ready to install my PCV on my XC and I was wondering if you guys hooked up the two wires for the speed input and the temperature input? I'm not sure they are necessary but they do call them out in the instructions. Do I need to worry about them? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just in case anyone searched for this in the future I wanted to post the answer to my own question. I just called FuelMoto and asked them the question. And their response was that they are optional and not really necessary unless you want to setup a custom map or tune for individual gears, etc. Since I am currently running the map that they loaded I don't really need them. But since I might have the bike dyno tuned in the future I think I'll probably go ahead and hook up the speed and temp inputs for grins.

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
Getting a one time dyno tune, verses a full time, continuous tune from the Auto Tune module costs about the same. I chose the latter....

I am curious to hear of your results hooking up the speed and temp lines.... specifically, does it separate the maps into 6 different versions, one for each gear?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have used the Auto Tune on Bikes in the past and I personally don't like them so I won't be getting the Auto Tune. It really affected the fuel mileage on previous bikes. Although to be fair since then I since learned that you have to drive the bike a very specific way to get the best tune from the Autotune. But every industry professional that i have ever talked to about it says that if you want the absolute best then nothing replaces a true dyno tune. Since I can get the dyno tune for less than $150 I'll be going that way. But truthfully the bike runs great with map that fuelmoto supplied with the PCV.

Hooking up the speed input line basically allows you have have different maps for each gear like six different maps. But from what I can tell the major benefit is having the ability to tune the bike for the best fuel mileage in 6th gear while having the performance tune in the other 5 gears. So you can have the best possible fuel economy while highway cruising.

As for hooking up the temp lines the only explanation that I can see is that you would have the ability to change the fuel curve based on what the engine temperature is.

·
Registered
442 Posts
those inputs will only do something if you then decide to program each additional dimension in the software.

remember, the more variables, the significantly more complex tuning becomes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts