Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has already been asked but I can't search on the forums very well from my phone.

Im in the midst of a turbo build, trying to decide on an EMS. I was almost dead set on going with microsquirt, which is basically a mini megasquirt. I like the idea because i will have full fuel and ignition control. i just realized tonight though that the PCV can control (modify) ignition timing +\- 20 DEG after 2500 rpm. Anyway, why doesnt this work on an open loop bike like my 06? all it does is intercept coil firing and injector firing signals and make them longer or at a higher frequency in the case of the ignition (I think).

Why then could i not make it work on my bike? Is it connectors or is there some other prohibitive thing about the older bikes that keeps us from using the pcv? Is the pcv just smarter than i think? Maybe it looks at the crank sensor, tps, map, etc and does not just act as a "dumb" device?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Pcv does not work on earlier model bikes I have the same problem I have a kit all faced up and can't use it because I could get a computer. I tried to get one from pmrt but after a year of waiting I gave up on it and bought cams. I don't know if the mini squirting will work because of the engine being 50 degree.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pcv does not work on earlier model bikes I have the shappen roblem I have a kit all faced up and can't use it because I could get a computer. I tried to get one from pmrt but after a year of waiting I gave up on it and bought cams. I don't know if the mini squirting will work because of the engine being 50 degree.

What does 50 degree have to do with anything? The ignition and fuel pulses still happen at equal intervals of crank rotation.. ie when piston 1 is at tdc piston 2 is at bdc... I thought!

So you have the pcv but cant use it? Would you be interested in a microsquirt setup? Rylan also told me to contact Dave at PMRT but i havent yet. I heard it was very expensive.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
What does 50 degree have to do with anything? The ignition and fuel pulses still happen at equal intervals of crank rotation.. ie when piston 1 is at tdc piston 2 is at bdc... I thought!
Both pistons are connected to the same crank pin. So both pistons go up and down at slightly different times, not 180° apart. Yes, it's a Harley engine, but the principle is the same.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both pistons are connected to the same crank pin. So both pistons go up and down at slightly different times, not 180° apart. Yes, it's a Harley engine, but the principle is the same.

Wow, i never even thought of that! i do remember seeing that both rods are on the same journal... just didn't put 2&2 together!

That is a good point then, i will need to figure out if MS can handle that kind of thing or if i will need to go another route.:confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
As far as i know they don't make a power commander 5 for ur bike. They make usb3 which is what i have. I didn't put the turbo kit on the bike because i couldn't get the computer from pmrt and i got tired of waiting and wanted to ride it so i spent the money on cams and torque rubes. I also work at a machine shop so i done all the work my self from porting heads to raising compression by milling heads

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Do u have a power goal because u may be able to reach it without doing a turbo. Mine makes around 122 and runs 11.50s at the track.
those aren't numbers to scoff at for sure, must be a blast to ride and more than enough power! However, i'm shooting for quite a bit more than that with the turbo system - i want to hit 200hp with a stock bottom end :crzy:... i know its been done and even more than that although i think one guy that did it had to upgrade (or decided to upgrade) the rods. valve springs are another weak point i think when you start revving around 6500 which is what i plan to do.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
This will be interesting.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So why don't you talk to Rylan at the Vic shop they have a Vic there now with a turbo on it

http://victoryturbosystems.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UacYFc8Irr8

http://www.turbokits.com/Victory/Vegas/Turbo_Kits/
I did! He directed me to the PMRT guy... but by the looks of it i am going to be tuning like a mad man trying to get the MS to work... I have also written Lloyd a couple of emails still waiting on a reply...

I am an engineer and my dad a fabricator so we should be able to put something together. I have been working on an aluminum intake manifold/airbox design and then ill be onto the exhaust manifold, then the intercooler and plumbing to that, then the oil cooler because i think ill go bigger on that, too. Twice the power has to make a lot more heat, right?:D

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good luck on your build. I ride my bike to much to be waiting 6 plus months for a part other wise I would have what ur going to build. I think 200 hp s very do able but it will take 12 to 16 lbs of boost depending on the turbo. I mounted mine up front in between the frame rails and tucked the exhaust down the side just like it had one bid 3 inch straight pipe. The intercooler I would think will be a must if u start getting the boost up around 14 lbs and I think the extra or larger oil cooler is a good deal too. Keep us posted should be a fun build.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I made my kit. The turbo was a Garrett turbothere ould have to get on there website toget u the numbers . It's a small turbo rated for 350 horsepower.
Wow imo thats a big turbo! I was thinking of going with the GT2052, good for 200 hp.

Back on the megasquirt topic, it can be done with an odd fire engine, there is a setting for that... where you can input the 50 degree offset. Our ignition timing must be 310-410 where a 45 degree harley is a 315-405.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's good to know. I never used any mega squirt stuff. I have used fast and big stuff on the drag cars that I work on. They are both easy to use. If the mega squirt stuff is like them then it should be no problem. Yea i didn't want the turbo coming on till I got the rpm up around 4000 so I could cruise and not be right on the edge of making boost. I wanted it more for the track and playing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Back on the megasquirt topic, it can be done with an odd fire engine, there is a setting for that... where you can input the 50 degree offset. Our ignition timing must be 310-410 where a 45 degree harley is a 315-405.
I am actually running the MS2 on my 2008 Vegas. The configuration for the odd fire was pretty easy. The hardest part was getting it timed right which was fairly easy on the 2008 since the sensor and trigger wheel are under the right side crank cover. I believe 2008 was the first year for that. 2007 and older may be a little more challenging but i'm sure it could be done.

It was a challenging but fun project but well worth it, especially running a turbo.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for bringing the post back to life and getting me thinking about this project again! I havent given up yet, the project just got back burnered while we designed and built a pro late model racecar!

I was able to piece together an ms2 late last summer and actually got the bike running with it. I have a case designed that will fasten right in place of the stock ecm and a daughter board designed to convert the standard ms2 pinout to the standard 36 pin header. My goal is to make a kit to help others who may want to go the ms2 route more easily.

I guess ill have to get back to work! I may have some questions on what your settings are 84 as I get further along.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for bringing the post back to life and getting me thinking about this project again! I havent given up yet, the project just got back burnered while we designed and built a pro late model racecar!

I was able to piece together an ms2 late last summer and actually got the bike running with it. I have a case designed that will fasten right in place of the stock ecm and a daughter board designed to convert the standard ms2 pinout to the standard 36 pin header. My goal is to make a kit to help others who may want to go the ms2 route more easily.

I guess ill have to get back to work! I may have some questions on what your settings are 84 as I get further along.
Nice, that will be pretty slick if you can make a somewhat plug and play setup for victory owners. I mounted mine in the same factory ECM location on the battery box but had to modify the case and make new end plates for it to clear the spring on the shock. its a tight fit but works.

Are you using bluetooth to connect your computer to it? I had a friend help me set that up on my and it works pretty slick. its nice to just throw the laptop in my backpack and go for a ride while it auto tunes.

I think this year i will have to get it on a dyno. Its hard to get a good pull on the street for it to collect enough good data tune. First gear is pretty much useless and it only takes about 2-3 seconds to get through 2nd gear in which i'm already at 80 mph by the time i'm shifting to 3rd.

Once i get mine dialed in a little more, i would be happy to share my msq file with you. I wouldn't mind seeing yours as well. From what i have found so far, you and i are the only ones running a megasquirt so i'm sure both of us sharing some information will be hopeful.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Nice, that will be pretty slick if you can make a somewhat plug and play setup for victory owners. I mounted mine in the same factory ECM location on the battery box but had to modify the case and make new end plates for it to clear the spring on the shock. its a tight fit but works.

Are you using bluetooth to connect your computer to it? I had a friend help me set that up on my and it works pretty slick. its nice to just throw the laptop in my backpack and go for a ride while it auto tunes.

I think this year i will have to get it on a dyno. Its hard to get a good pull on the street for it to collect enough good data tune. First gear is pretty much useless and it only takes about 2-3 seconds to get through 2nd gear in which i'm already at 80 mph by the time i'm shifting to 3rd.

Once i get mine dialed in a little more, i would be happy to share my msq file with you. I wouldn't mind seeing yours as well. From what i have found so far, you and i are the only ones running a megasquirt so i'm sure both of us sharing some information will be hopeful.
Well, I still dont have it complete but here is a picture of the microsquirt in a custom 3d printed box with daughterboard and 36 pin header. No bluetooth yet! Maybe you can help me figure that one out?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-A43jKylBe6QjZ4SWRLbmFWT0dSS05UZy1JdVJ6eU1rYy1Z/view?usp=drivesdk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts