Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for about the last 1K miles the bike would go into 2nd gear then slip for about a half a second then it would be fine until I went back into 2nd gear. My local shop thought it was the shifter fork for second gear and said it would be under warranty. They call the warranty company to start a claim and were told to tear the bike apart to see what the problem is and then make the claim. So they take the bike apart and find that it was the shifter fork and make the claim. They go to order the parts and an adjuster shows up at the beginning of business the next day and looks at the gears and shift fork and agrees then goes over to the bike and starts taking pictures and asks what the red box on the side of the bike was. The shop owner said it was a fuel controller and left it at that. The adjuster leaves, and about 15 minutes later the shop gets a call and said as of today 3/7 the warranty is void and they are not paying the claim.:mad::mad::mad:

·
Registered
295 Posts
I would fight the claim and contact dyno jet and see what documentation they can provide to state that it wasn't the PCV that caused the problem.

Another option is to take to another dealer.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well that sucks! :crzy:

I'd like to know how they relate a fuel controller to be the cause of a faulty shift fork ???

·
Registered
168 Posts
Is this under factory warrant, a Polaris extended warranty, or aftermarket extended service plan?

·
Super Moderator
4,950 Posts
Well that sucks! :crzy:

I'd like to know how they relate a fuel controller to be the cause of a faulty shift fork ???
Exactly...

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
They probablly figure he went too fast. :ltr:

Is this under factory warrant, a Polaris extended warranty, or aftermarket extended service plan?
Sounds like the extended. Worthless.

·
12,984 Posts
You can get a lawyer and take them to court and have them prove that the PCV caused the poor shifting. More then likely you will win if you get trial by jury.
But it might take two or four years to go to court. So your going to pay for it out of pocket and wait.
Try to get the dealer to work with you do not turn him against you.
Get it fixed and go after the warranty company for all out of pocket expense

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
You can get a lawyer and take them to court and have them prove that the PCV caused the poor shifting. More then likely you will win if you get trial by jury.
But it might take two or four years to go to court. So your going to pay for it out of pocket and wait.
Try to get the dealer to work with you do not turn him against you.
Get it fixed and go after the warranty company for all out of pocket expense
These warranties are written by the warranty provider. Unlike the manufacturer, they do not have a name to live by, and often times the company that provides the extended warranty for you today, might not be in business tomorrow. Also their fine print covers for the most ridiculous stipulations, like any aftermarket modifications, and leaves the decision completely to them.

This is why I always recommend against spending even a penny on extended warranty for our bikes.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would be fighting this one. I would be finding out some numbers to call. Talk to the dealership and see what they recommend doing. If they don't do anything chintzy another dealer.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
Waiting for the OP to tell us if it was an aftermarket warranty or not. Third party warranties are generally not worth the paper they are printed on. Get a warranty from the mfr. or no one.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
The factory warranty was up 11/2011. It is the Polaristar warranty now managed by Wells Fargo Bank. I went home to read my policy that the original dealer gave me. On line 10, and this is what Russ from Wells Fargo quoted when I called him yesterday, "Any vehicle modified or altered with, but not limited to, high performance and/or off-road equipment that is not original factory equipment done before or after the effective date of this contract."
Here is the web site of the extended warranty https://www.warrantysolutions.com/b2b/publicjsp/public_home.jsp
Goatlocker95, I have already looked at that and I am bringing that to my legal appointment on Monday.

Visionjohnny, the dealer is on my side and Is as upset as I am and if he would have known the guy was going to show up he would have taken it off in advance. He has done several claims with other companies and they just take his word over the phone. He has never had anybody show up unannounced. The shop is a small family shop that used to be Big Dog and Indian dealer. Once he rode a Victory he had to be a dealer. He was not there in 2010 when I bought my bike.
I was given the extended warranty by the original dealer because the day I picked up my bike they did not have any of the extra gear I was looking for so they said they would throw in the extended warranty for free.
Since I do not have a Warranty any more I am going to have Cams, timing wheel, and Idle air valve installed and no labor charged. Just the cost of parts.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Not that my bike is under warranty, but I read a lot of these stories about Vic. While I have bought 2 used Vic's, and I hear they are dependable great machines it is stories like these that inspire me to buy used bikes. Never had a problem with the XR or Kingpin.

A lot of people knock Harley, but I never read any of these stories during the years I was on their board. Go figure

·
Premium Member
8,736 Posts
That sucks! A smoother running bike makes for cleaner shifts mine shifts better with it, was the rev limiter upped or removed they may have a case, my dyno man wouldnt up or remove mine as he said torques already dropping better to grab next gear than risk engine blowup

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
...A lot of people knock Harley, but I never read any of these stories during the years I was on their board. Go figure
The Hardly folk have thick skin and know how to take punches while keeping their mouth shut. Victory folk throw their hands up in the air and scream like school girls if their see a puffy cloud in the sky. :ltr:

By the way, bending shift forks is done on any bike, even cars/trucks with manual transmissions. All you have to do is drop it in first when your speed is nowhere near 1st gear, and you will end up with bent forks.

... I was given the extended warranty by the original dealer because the day I picked up my bike they did not have any of the extra gear I was looking for so they said they would throw in the extended warranty for free.
Since I do not have a Warranty any more I am going to have Cams, timing wheel, and Idle air valve installed and no labor charged. Just the cost of parts.
Not only you can't use it, but it held you back from enjoying the ride the way you intended to. cheers

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Time will tell if my extended warranty is any good if I ever need it .. I had RPM1 Extended Warranty on my HD Ultra and they honored over 3,000.00 worth of claims without a fuss even though had Rineharts, K&N High Flow Filter, SE 259 Cams Tuned by a Power Commander V, Then Later on a Power Vision Tuner . Paid less than 1,000 for the extra 5 years Warranty .. Depends on who does it I guess ..

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I read the fine print on my extended 5 year powertrain warranty several times when it came in the mail. It plainly states what it covers and what it don't and also mentions that any alterations to the bike would void the warranty. I've had the rear shock go out and an oil leak while the bike was under the regular 1 year warranty so my view of needing extended warranties on Vics is a little different than others on this board.

·
Registered
12,160 Posts
TNXR, If by that, you mean to say an extended warranty is not a good expenditure of one's money, I agree and your experience with the rear shock is a good example.
In December 2009, I jumped into this forum months prior to buying, for the very purpose of finding out if owners were complaining about any major problems. They weren't, so when I was signing papers and was asked if I wanted the 5 year warranty, I replied that I didn't think I would be using it. He said, you're right, we only see these bikes in the shop for accessories and routine maintenance. He hasn't even seen mine for that and its over 4 years old now and experienced no problems.
The problem with extended warranties is they cover that period where little is expected to go wrong--that time between the mfr's warranty and when wear is creeping in. Its called the bathtub curve. Picture the profile cross section of a bathtub, the top left is when you buy, the left incline is the time covered by the mfr's warranty, the bottom is the extended warranty which ends at the upward incline on the right when wear starts to take effect. The inclines are the periods when problems will most likely occur. I don't put my money in bathtub bottoms.
I know there are those out there who are gonna chime in with stories of things that got covered under extended warranties, but those are a small minority compared to all the policies that never had to pay a dime.

·
12,984 Posts
1bada66

I would still get a lawyer and go after them. You can find a lawyer that will only get paid if you win. The PCV is not really a performance part. At lease take the paper work to a lawyer and have him read it. That would only coast you a little money.
What you and I read in contracts is not what a lawyer would read.
All so have him look up that Magnuson-Moss warranty
I think you could win but it will take time.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts