Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
12,970 Posts
You have to get it dyno tuned or you'll never feel the difference

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
At 300 bones I would expect a major difference in how the bike runs. Your experience?
Get a Maximus or a PowerVision.

On the "is it worth it" question...
The tuner (no matter what tuner) is a means to tune the engine to perform at its best. It is not, by itself, a power producing piece of equipment. What it does, is allow you to tune for performance adders like free flowing air filters/intakes, free flowing exhaust systems, more aggressive cams... you know, things that allow the engine to breathe. Now that it can breathe, it needs fuel mixed in the proper ratio to match that extra air and it needs the ignition timing optimized.

If you think you're going to plug it in and the bike is gonna run great, you're thinking wrong. It's a means to an end.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
At 300 bones I would expect a major difference in how the bike runs. Your experience?
If you do go with the PC-V; get it dyno'd or find a tune for your bike set up the same way with the same intake/exhaust, cams, etc. It won't be as good as if you had yours dyno'd but it will be close. Then you can get it dyno'd later if you want.

I can't speak from experience but from what I've read; the Maximus or similar type ECM programmer is pretty good and you don't have a piggy back device in the middle.

Either way you'll need to spend some money to get it near perfect.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
You can buy a PCV which is a piggy-back unit that modifies the signal coming from the ECU, or you can flash the ECU directly with the Power Vision or the Maximus. Hit up @NOEMTZ for all the info on the Maximus, I haven't seen a bad word yet about that unit or the tunes -- and it can be done remotely (he sends you a laptop and make a few runs so he can see/adjust your fueling). I don't know about the Power Vision, but I think that still requires a dyno.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Once my tuner dialed the fueling in on a dyno it was a night & day difference. You need a fuel tuner of some kind to make any engine upgrades past slip-on mufflers worth it. I've been very happy with the PCV and its worth every penny I spent on it(twice ;) :ltr: ). Like other's have mentioned there are more tuner options available now that directly map the ECU and the tuning can be done remotely without a dyno.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Went to VicBaggers the other day and they want $650.00 to do a maximus tune, am I missing something? I mean if I take the bike there (they are about 30 minutes from me) why so much? I already have a PCV, but believe the tune I have isn't all it can be (I think I got a canned tune from JPM in Hopkinsville,Ky) and they only charge $250.00 for a dyno tune.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Went to VicBaggers the other day and they want $650.00 to do a maximus tune, am I missing something? I mean if I take the bike there (they are about 30 minutes from me) why so much? I already have a PCV, but believe the tune I have isn't all it can be (I think I got a canned tune from JPM in Hopkinsville,Ky) and they only charge $250.00 for a dyno tune.
Maximus tuning cost isn't all that much different to starting from scratch with a DynoJet. The PCV tuner costs $275-300 and a dyno-tune is $250-350. For me its not worth it since I already have a PCV and my dyno tuner will make adjustments to the maps for under $100 if I feel I need them.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
$650 is what a License costs plus a full tuning service combined. Not just a simple plug in and wallah everything is tuned. This type of tuning starts from scratch. Including idle. Yes idle. Ryan is doing the tuning there remotely for them.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Im going with the Maximus system as soon as Ive done the mods on my CrossCountry.
Exhaust, Intake, and drop in VM1 Cams.
Power and Torque over stock costs money.
but once its done Im there.

On the other hand my Vegas already has a PCV and all the mods and has been dyno tumed by the best tuner here.
I couldnt be happier with it.
BUT .. if I was starting on the Vegas now
then Id go the Maximus.
Do your mods before the tune though.

If moneys a problem just leave it stock.
Victorys go pretty good out of the box.

EDIT..Just re read your post and with TorqueTubes and Bassani why havent you already had the thing optimised??
Get it done b4 you get damage from running lean.

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
I just read they are no longer making the Power Vision for Victory so when the current shelf stock is gone; that's it. I'm sure the shops that currently support it will continue to but probably not any new shops so the Maximus is the better choice in that arena I would think.

I've had good luck with the PC-V but the Maximus is newer and probably better technology. I can't say for sure. Maybe someone with more experience with them can say.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wellll......I put the stock pipes back on my bike, but it still has the torque-tube intake. Runs pretty crappy at low rpms and knocks. Not sure what to do with it.

My Indy says "Any tuner will work".

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
why put stock pipes back on and wtfs an indy?
sounds like you need to put the Bassanis back on and get it to someone familiar with Victorys that has Maximus tuning capability before you kill it.
It breathing in nice and tryna exhale through a gag.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Yes, it runs poorly. Some kind of tuner is in order to allow for the increased air flow. Just bolting on the Bassanis will not solve the problem and will probably entitle you to the 1K fine. Once you get it tuned, give it a bit, and then go back to the plugs.

Conventional wisdom used to be that one could open the exhaust w/o having to re-tune/map, but if the intake was opened up tuning/mapping was an important safety tip.

MotorbikerX on his first 3/12 post has it right re what to do and when.

And, you might think about drilling the stock mufflers. Do it in steps until you like the increased volume. But if you keep the torque-tube intake consider some kind of tuner. You will be glad you did.

Re the new CA law, my understanding is that it relates to the emission system as well. If your bike has catalysts in the exhaust pipes you can drill the muffler w/o affecting their work. If the cats are in the mufflers, punching out the center of the muffler would limit the effectiveness of the cat.

The cats are in the mufflers of my 2016 Sporty so I drilled around the center pipe. The exhaust must go through the cat and baffle but can exit quicker than before. A bit louder, but likely to allow me to visit my friends in SD, CA w/o any legal hassle.

Certainly you have done it by now, but the Sunrise Highway, with a stop at the overlook to see the sun pop, is a peach of a ride.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
KevinX in Michigan? I thought he was located NE of Gainesville, FL? That is where his shop was when I took my bike there a few years ago.

·
Premium Member
8,719 Posts
Kevinx is in Florida, though he does travel.
His help via the telephone(remember them?) and email, was invaluable on my build.
Southern Motorworx

·
Registered
18 Posts
$650 is what a License costs plus a full tuning service combined. Not just a simple plug in and wallah everything is tuned. This type of tuning starts from scratch. Including idle. Yes idle. Ryan is doing the tuning there remotely for them.
How can we do this in Alberta, Canada to The Crow?? : )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
How can we do this in Alberta, Canada to The Crow?? : )
If I get you and possibly 1-2 more full tuning services paid for and committed, I will move forward with a kit in Canada. Have a buddy that agreed to host my kit in Calgary when not being used. Let me know and tell your Victory riding friends so we can make this Canada remote tuning going.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts