Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question-with the PCV5, is the factory limiter extended? If so how and what was the stock limiter?

TIA!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
You need to check the box in the PCV software to extend the limiter to 6300 rpm, if I remember correctly the stock Rev limiter is set for 5800? Correct me if I have that wrong.

·
Premium Member
547 Posts
5500 and 6000 with the extension on the PCV. Lloydz reprogrammed ECU pushes it until 6400. Without cams you won't need anywhere near that much rev, even with the DR cams power has pretty much stopped by 6000.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The 2013 steel frame models are limited by the stock ECM's rev limiter. Yes, even with a Power Commander, the ECM will not allow it to rev over (if I remember correctly) 6000ish in forth, but only 5000 in fifth, and maybe about 5000 in 6th.

Yes, the 2013 Vision and X bikes can be rev-extended with a click of a button on the PCV software, and yes same for the 2012 and older steel frame bikes. But the 2013+ steel frames suck and need the Lloydz ECM to rev to max potental.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The 2013 steel frame models are limited by the stock ECM's rev limiter. Yes, even with a Power Commander, the ECM will not allow it to rev over (if I remember correctly) 6000ish in forth, but only 5000 in fifth, and maybe about 5000 in 6th.

Yes, the 2013 Vision and X bikes can be rev-extended with a click of a button on the PCV software, and yes same for the 2012 and older steel frame bikes. But the 2013+ steel frames suck and need the Lloydz ECM to rev to max potental.
Hmmm on that 5K max in 5th for the X-bikes. Are we suppose to run in 5th gear for the Dyno runs? If so and it's limited @ 5K then how do the Dyno operators/tuners "see" the HP benefits above 5K?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hmmm on that 5K max in 5th for the X-bikes. Are we suppose to run in 5th gear for the Dyno runs? If so and it's limited @ 5K then how do the Dyno operators/tuners "see" the HP benefits above 5K?
Nope, re-read the post. The only bikes on the market today that CANNOT be rev-extended with a Power Commander are the '13+ steel frame models. Every X bike and Vision CAN be rev-extended with a Power Commander regardless of year.

So, back to the 13+ steel framed bikes. You either get the Lloydz ECM or your graph looks like the attached graph:
On the 13's I'll run the first and the final 100% throttle runs in 4th gear where I can rev to 6300 (green and red lines respectively). Then I'll do a 5th gear run too (blue lines), but as you can see, even with the PC I cannot rev past 5000rpms in 5th. We can make an educated guess on the max HP level based on the shape of the graph, and luckily the torque has already peaked.

So on the attached graph we can assume that the actual numbers for this combination in 5th gear would be 123 torque and probably 114ish for horsepower.

Does that make sense? Luckily that doesn't apply to the X bikes and Vision, but I sure do hate it when we do a bunch of mods to a '13 Steel framed bike and I can't rev the damn thing past 5000 in fifth!

Attachments

·
Registered
403 Posts
EDIT: as you can see from the green lines, the stock limiter in forth gear with no fuel controller is 5300. With the Power Commander and rev-extend clicked on the forth gear can now to to 6300, but not fifth gear.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bringing this up from the dead. Rylan, if the 2013 steel frame bikes are the only ones with the rev limiter issue than why can't someone just go get a pcm from a 2012 wrecked steel frame bike and do the rev extend with the power commander?

·
Premium Member
4,872 Posts
Here's the thing... there are TWO separate limiters

One is the rev limiter that keeps the bike from reving beyond a safe RPM. This is 5500 stock, can be extended to 6000 by checking a box in the PC-V, or extended to 6400 by requesting it from Power Commander, or to 6400 RPM by Lloydz recalibration of your ECU.

The other is a top speed limiter. This prevents the bike from exceeding the speed rating of the OEM tires. In 5th gear at about 5000 rpm, you have reached 122 MPH and are hitting the speed limiter. This can be defeated by Lloydz ECU recalibration.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here's the thing... there are TWO separate limiters

One is the rev limiter that keeps the bike from reving beyond a safe RPM. This is 5500 stock, can be extended to 6000 by checking a box in the PC-V, or extended to 6400 by requesting it from Power Commander, or to 6400 RPM by Lloydz recalibration of your ECU.

The other is a top speed limiter. This prevents the bike from exceeding the speed rating of the OEM tires. In 5th gear at about 5000 rpm, you have reached 122 MPH and are hitting the speed limiter. This can be defeated by Lloydz ECU recalibration.
Actually I'm glad you chimed in Half_crazy-I was going to send you a pm. I'm about to install the 31 tooth pulley on my Hammer but had second thoughts until I get my Lloydz to remove my speed limiter.

But I sat down to do some math and came up with these numbers-let me know if they make sense to you.

With the stock 33 tooth pulley in 4th gear If let it pull to 6000 rpm I should hit 122 mph, now with the 31 tooth pulley at the same rpm I will be limited to 115 mph.

Now that should be okay-since my dyno runs show the bike pulls past 6000 rpm with the cams. The bike dyno's 110 rwhp.

I know before the cams I had my shift light set at 5000 rpm and I was shifting into 5th.

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
Yesterday for the first time i went to rrrrroooollll the bike trough the gears, all is fun and games, shifting at 5900 (i think) then when you hit 6th gear it all stops.... So reading all the info above, steel frame bikes can only play until (including) 5th gear then it is all over for us.... I hit the speedlimiter twice in 1 ride

Traffic-lights pulls from now on....

Hopefully somebody will fix this soon, coz it SUCKS ...

If the rev limiter for 1, 2, 3 & 4 is 6400 why not for gear 5 & 6 ...... But this is still "stock" 5500 rpm only for steel frame, all orher bikes apparently Rev's higher in 5 & 6 as stated before LIKE IT SHOULD

·
Registered
148 Posts
Just found this thread; it's good to understand about the two limiters. I think I can go faster in 5th than in 6th.

I've always thought that the bike can go up to 140mph or something like that.

The bikes are not very stable at this speed, it's a bit disappointing.
Ofc they're built to cruise but still, they are supposed to be amongst the best brands.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
hitting the "wall"

while riding my first Vic a 13 Hammer it seemed to hit the rev limiter quickly, now i understand why. i don't think i will ever do cams, but have S+S style filter, +6 on timing wheel, thor exhaust + dobeck AFR+. bike runs great but a few more revs would be good. its hard for me to see the smallish rev counter in the multi-function single gauge so i was unsure when i was maxing out

·
Premium Member
6,021 Posts
You already got your wish!
Send your ECU to Lloydz and when it comes back the rev limiter will be 6400 rpm and no more speed limiter.

See how easy that was?
Yeah good one, 3 months later the post office reports "lost it"

Why do they call steel frames "the power vics" when these are the ones limited in 5 & 6 gear ... Hammer, eightball, jackpot... Maybe some more, or less

All other models automatically rev extended to 6400 in 1 until 6 gear

1 - 18 of 18 Posts