Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Very nice. I'd like to get one for my bike, but they don't show to make one. From what I've heard about em, you won't be disappointed. Can't say myself tho

·
Registered
156 Posts
I put a Penske shock and spring on my last bike, a 07' Yamaha FJR. It was amazing what the shock did for that bike, bumps while in a corner were a non event and the bike just tracked true. I also had the forks rebuilt by GP suspension and it was also a huge improvement. Keep in mind there was nothing wrong with the stock shock and forks but having top notch components made a very noticeable change.

I'm very seriously considering the Penske spring and shock for my XC which is basically in XCT configuration. The only reservation I have is that every now and then my lovely wife rides with me and I'm not sure the Penske shock would be the best for both riding situations with the weight varying with her on and or off. The nice thing about the stock shock is that it can be adjusted for load by changing the air pressure. Not so with the Penske.

So my question is, do you guys think that if I have the shock tuned for me at 250+ pounds for what is 98% of my riding will the ride be good enough when my wife of 140 pounds is on board very occasionally?

Thanks in advance!

Happy holidays!

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
I hear nothing but good things about this shock. Maybe I'll get one for myself one of these seasons. Good luck with it. Hope you have a smooth install.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I have one on my bike. Nice upgrade and unlike the stock unit it can be rebuilt. They claim it needs to be rebuilt every 40,000 miles so I think I'm already due for a rebuild.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Draper.. Call Dan. He will need the info of your weight and your spouse, give him the weight of the trunk plus avg cargo and he can have it set accordingly.

After having it a while I became accustomed to it and I don't notice it so much. When I first installed it I was really surprised how much it improved the ride over a new oem shock I was using.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Draper.. Call Dan. He will need the info of your weight and your spouse, give him the weight of the trunk plus avg cargo and he can have it set accordingly.

After having it a while I became accustomed to it and I don't notice it so much. When I first installed it I was really surprised how much it improved the ride over a new oem shock I was using.

Thanks for the advice Joseph, I'm planing on it first of the year. Curious, do you notice much change in the ride quality when you change the weight on the bike considerably or if or when you have a passenger?

When I had a Penske on my last bike, for the most part I always rode alone, in fact I had a Corbin rear trunk that took place of the rear seat. Got a new girlfriend that is now my bride and she loves to ride on the back, which was really the reason I changed and got my Victory. Don't get me wrong, I love my XC. The Vic is the best bike I've ever owned but the Yamaha FJR was a great bike too.

The Penske shock did wonders for my last bike and I'm sure it will be great for my XC.

Brothers, have a happy holiday season and a wonderful and safe New Years!

Draper

·
Premium Member
988 Posts
I'm curious as to what the shock costs, any replies? :wink

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Needing new shock also.

Merry Christmas. Let us know what you think of the new shock. My XRs shock is going southbound quickly. Need a new one, been putting up with it for a few thousand miles. Bike now has 35+Ks on it now. Would really like a new shock. Let us know what you think after a ride. Also could you send me a message as to what cost actually were? Thanks, Mike.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Merry Christmas. Let us know what you think of the new shock. My XRs shock is going southbound quickly. Need a new one, been putting up with it for a few thousand miles. Bike now has 35+Ks on it now. Would really like a new shock. Let us know what you think after a ride. Also could you send me a message as to what cost actually were? Thanks, Mike.
There are several places , some mentioned in this thread , that you can get the Penske shock for our bikes...... All of which have the prices .

On the Conquest Customs site:
Penske for xr / xc = $699
Penske racing shock = $749

Peter

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Money

Thanks PJRom for the info.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
conquest is great to deal with, but since he was at sturgis i just ordered directly from Penske in Reading Pa, only 70 miles away. a quality built for you shock is worth the $$. it really smoothed my 2013 hard riding Hammer!!!! installed mine on a bike jack, would have been a LOT easier on the table lift i now have!!

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
And how much was it straight from Penske @rodhotter

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Did you grease the upper pivot pin? We did Speedblues when we changed the tire.

·
Premium Member
1,501 Posts
They are on witchdoctors site.

I got.mine from Traxxsion
Yeah don't ask Max about pricing. He's a super negotiator and sworn the secrecy by the vendors. If he told us he'd get in trouble. He doesn't pay retail like the rest of us poor suckers do. Bwahahaha!

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
traxxion builds the shocks, contact Dan at traxxion.com for pricing, but its around $700 for one.

·
Premium Member
13,046 Posts
I got some unexpected free time today, so I installed the shock. Not to bad, easier that getting the old one out. I did notice where the shock attaches to the swing-arm, the spherical bearings were full of dirt. I cleaned them up good and greased the s h i t out of them, no dirt is getting in there now...

Now I ready to install the new tire...
Good job greasing up all the pivot points. Just a suggestion though. You may want to clean up all the exposed grease because it will attract all kinds of grime from the road.

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say about the ride difference. I'd like to do this myself if for no other reason than not to have to worry about a blown air shock on a trip.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
penske direct

when i purchased my custom built for me shock i asked the penske tech for a longer one than a stock Hammer, knowing the earlier S models had a longer travel. he said + 1/2" was the max, its VERY close in the shock area hence not allowing an even longer shock. i also opted for a separator piston, said to be better as it keeps the pressurized gas separate from the fluid, an internal reservoir as compared to piggy back. thats what i got for $800. a tad more than conquest prolly due to upgrades. Penske DOES NOT stock shocks, you order + let them or a dealer know your weight + riding habits + they are built suitably. i backed off my preload after install + added a few clicks of rebound from the shipped setup. no bottoming + a decent ride considering the 40 series sidewalls. bikes with more "normal sidewalls will even ride better for sure. a look on the Penske site for 8900 emulsion single adjustment shock will explain, lots more info on upgrades $$$ as well

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
@rodhotter so how does the front USD forks feel now youve improved the rear?
With my conventional Vegas forks the Progressive rear shock just about forced me to upgrade the front.
Are the USD forks that good that theyre still in the game now?
Cost of a Penske in Aust is prohibitive, Im happy with Progressive.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts