Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Worked on bike today for a bit. Put a new spring on the Penske shock a few weeks ago. I figured the new spring I installed is getting broken in. Seems the rear end has actually gotten softer. So I figured I would just tighten the spring a few turns. Well I did it the lazy way, I did NOT raise the back of the bike off the ground. So I proceed to turn the adjuster on the spring a couple of turns to make it tighter. Next thing I know I hear air release, so it was not air it was nitrogen out of the rear shock, bummer. When I turned the spring to tighten it unscrewed the top part of the shock apart enough to let the gas charge out. So I then I jacked the back tire up off the ground. Screwed the shock back together, then I reset the spring/sag. So now I have to charge the shock with nitrogen again, not to hard , not fun. So personally I would recommend after my fun times today to raise the bike up before adjusting the Penske shock, or it could shock you by gassing off at you.
:clap:

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Good thing you found the issue and were able to fix it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Worked on bike today for a bit. Put a new spring on the Penske shock a few weeks ago. I figured the new spring I installed is getting broken in. Seems the rear end has actually gotten softer. So I figured I would just tighten the spring a few turns. Well I did it the lazy way, I did NOT raise the back of the bike off the ground. So I proceed to turn the adjuster on the spring a couple of turns to make it tighter. Next thing I know I hear air release, so it was not air it was nitrogen out of the rear shock, bummer. When I turned the spring to tighten it unscrewed the top part of the shock apart enough to let the gas charge out. So I then I jacked the back tire up off the ground. Screwed the shock back together, then I reset the spring/sag. So now I have to charge the shock with nitrogen again, not to hard , not fun. So personally I would recommend after my fun times today to raise the bike up before adjusting the Penske shock, or it could shock you by gassing off at you.
:clap:
This saying came to mind...."The lazy man always works the hardest."

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nailed it

Pain you nailed it. When ever we try to take a short cut it seems like it bites us in the a$$. Hopefully nobody else has this happen to them.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
At the very least, your experience may help someone else not do this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
put a penske on my 2013 hammer, adjusted several times + never thought about jacking it up! prolly makes adjusting easier for sure. a great shock for sure when it makes the "jack" hammer ride good, the lighter more compliant night dragon prolly helped as well!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts