Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A firestorm erupted last March when a video surfaced that showed a Texas police officer pepper spraying a group of motorcyclists riding past his patrol car. Motorcyclists who watched the video (now with more than three million views) were angered at the apparent assault on riders. The cop, William Figueroa, claimed he needed to spray the riders because they wouldn’t vacate the lane next to his patrol car that was pulled over at the side of the road.

Surely the overly aggressive cop would be severely reprimanded for his actions that could’ve hurt or even killed riders as they rode past, right? Well, thanks to our favorite moto-riding attorney, John Butrus, we were able to dig into the situation. Sadly, the outcome of the investigation seems to be far too lenient for an officer who demonstrated a complete lack of concern for the safety of our fellow riders.
Read more about the Pepper-Spraying Texas Cop Update at Motorcycle.com.

·
Premium Member
13,616 Posts
I generally support the police because I understand they have a difficult and sometimes dangerous job but this was way outside the bounds of their job description. He should have at least been suspended without pay for a couple of weeks.

The good old boy club is alive and well in Texas (and other states too).

I guess there will never be justice in this case....

·
Registered
483 Posts
Is it possible that ?? there is an ordinance that says traffic must move to the next lane during a traffic stop ? Ohio has that, not sure how strictly it is enforced ? We have had a few officers hit & killed because motorist did not move over....perhaps this officer is just steadfast about it ??

·
Premium Member
13,616 Posts
Is it possible that ?? there is an ordinance that says traffic must move to the next lane during a traffic stop ? Ohio has that, not sure how strictly it is enforced ? We have had a few officers hit & killed because motorist did not move over....perhaps this officer is just steadfast about it ??
Maybe but he still can't endanger the lives of all those people like that.

·
Premium Member
8,941 Posts
It's common sense to give a pulled over cop car a wide berth, or any other road side goings on.
Common sense ain't so common anymore but.
Pepper spraying the bikers is maybe a bit over the top but hey its Texas!
At least he didn't start shooting em....

·
Registered
483 Posts
I agree , and am not making excuses for him...there are none IMO.....But some days well are subject to doing dumb things that seemed like a good thing at the time.

Like has been said....Glad no one was hurt .

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's common sense to give a pulled over cop car a wide berth, or any other road side goings on.
Common sense ain't so common anymore but.
Pepper spraying the bikers is maybe a bit over the top but hey its Texas!
At least he didn't start shooting em....
I'm not in favor of what this cop did BUT,

If I am not mistaken the video shows a large group of sport bikes (the kind of groups that seemingly are often seen in videos causing chaos), they, at a minimum, could, no, should have gone single file in their own lane as they passed the cop.
Most states have laws that state drivers are to move over a lane and or slow down as they pass any emergency vehicle that are on shoulder or median of a highway or road.
Just my opinion.

·
Registered
569 Posts
The officers behavior was unacceptable. There is a move over/slow down law in Texas-
The law states a driver must either vacate the lane closest to the stopped emergency vehicle if the road has multiple lanes traveling in the same direction or slow down 20 miles per hour below the speed limit. (If the speed limit is below 25 mph the driver must slow down to 5 mph.)

·
Registered
569 Posts
I generally support the police because I understand they have a difficult and sometimes dangerous job but this was way outside the bounds of their job description. He should have at least been suspended without pay for a couple of weeks.

The good old boy club is alive and well in Texas (and other states too).

I guess there will never be justice in this case....
Bob, I am sure that he will be punished and it is likely he will get a few days off. Discipline is decided by the Chief and in many cases can take a year once an investigation is started.

·
Premium Member
13,616 Posts
Bob, I am sure that he will be punished and it is likely he will get a few days off. Discipline is decided by the Chief and in many cases can take a year once an investigation is started.
It is my hope he is reprimanded and made to understand why he did what did was really rotten and put a lot of lives in danger. Hey! I was young once too and screwed up a few times. Everyone got lucky this time so maybe it was meant to be a lesson for everyone...

If it was me he sprayed in the face , it would be "Game ON" , **** him ......
As BigMike said; he will get punished in their way. Let's just be thankful this shined a light on doing something like this so it doesn't happen again in the future eh!

We have both done stupid **** and were young and hot tempered at one time. We should remember that I think.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Stop with the excuses already. He is a trained 'pro'. If I endangered the lives of people by using a noxious chemical, I'd get locked up fast and so what if people weren't moving over. Stick the nose of your squad car out, call another squad car in to block for you. How about just waiting a minute to let them just pass? Nah, let's teach everyone a lesson and in the process, make cops look even worse than they already do.

Jackass.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Stop with the excuses already. He is a trained 'pro'. If I endangered the lives of people by using a noxious chemical, I'd get locked up fast and so what if people weren't moving over. Stick the nose of your squad car out, call another squad car in to block for you. How about just waiting a minute to let them just pass? Nah, let's teach everyone a lesson and in the process, make cops look even worse than they already do.

Jackass.
Not sure anyone is making excuses anymore than you are making an over the top statement. Using pepper spray on someone, In your case would be a class c misdemeanor ...a ticket. The officer was wrong and will be punished, but your assumption that he could just call for backup to block the freeway is wrong. It will not happen, that is not how it works in the real world. Not to mention everyone on the freeway would be calling the station to complain that the officers blocked the freeway "just" to write a ticket. I think that having two cars at every traffic stop would be awesome...more officer safety and accountability, but the public and the command staff would poo poo on that because then it would mean the second officer couldn't answer the 911 call because little johnny is fighting with his sister.
There is a reason there is a move over or slow down law, because far too many officers have been run over...myself included.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
97 Posts
Not sure anyone is making excuses anymore than you are making an over the top statement. Using pepper spray on someone, In your case would be a class c misdemeanor ...a ticket. The officer was wrong and will be punished, but your assumption that he could just call for backup to block the freeway is wrong. It will not happen, that is not how it works in the real world. Not to mention everyone on the freeway would be calling the station to complain that the officers blocked the freeway "just" to write a ticket. I think that having two cars at every traffic stop would be awesome...more officer safety and accountability, but the public and the command staff would poo poo on that because then it would mean the second officer couldn't answer the 911 call because little johnny is fighting with his sister.
There is a reason there is a move over or slow down law, because far too many officers have been run over...myself included.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
So if I spray pepper spray on someone for no real reason, that's all I'll get? A ticket? Right.

As for calling for help, sorry man but cops around here always come in bunches. Could just be a guy jumping a train turnstile. Boom, five cops.

Find it funny the law (in NJ) is for emergency vehicles but not for regular folks that break down. Guess we don't count. Blue lives matter.

Pffft.

·
Registered
569 Posts
So if I spray pepper spray on someone for no real reason, that's all I'll get? A ticket? Right.

As for calling for help, sorry man but cops around here always come in bunches. Could just be a guy jumping a train turnstile. Boom, five cops.

Find it funny the law (in NJ) is for emergency vehicles but not for regular folks that break down. Guess we don't count. Blue lives matter.

Pffft.
1. yes... Here, a ticket I don't know about NJ, the funny thing about pepper spray is that usually the officer gets some too.
2. Transit cops are a different breed, I will agree with you there.
3. "Most" of the time here in Texas people move over for everyone...but alas there are exceptions. The move over law is to protect first responders AND the citizens they are providing services to.

FWIW- I didn't use "little johnny" as a derogatory term towards you, that's one of our terms for a kid.
No offense was intended there...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
To me in the video , it appears the bikes are far more to the left side of the lane ... Clearly giving room , the officer should not have done what he did , IMHO .

·
Registered
569 Posts
To me in the video , it appears the bikes are far more to the left side of the lane ... Clearly giving room , the officer should not have done what he did , IMHO .
Very much agree that he shouldn't have done it...it was a dick move regardless of where the bikes were. The last thing you want is vehicles coming toward you that might not be able to see!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
My initial thought was if the biker took it to the eyes he may veer one way or the other , and take out other riders , and somebody might get killed ....:(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts