Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, new to the forum, sorry if this has been asked already. I have a 2006 jackpot-victory drag pipes, S&S air box, aftermarket baffles(don't remember the name). The bike was originally mapped for a stage 1 kit, thats what I started with. I am wondering if the bike is running too lean, it pops on decel occasionally. Part of the reason I ask is because I was thinking about putting nitrous on the bike, I know nitrous and lean are a bad combo. Am I crazy? Should I explore other options? I would like a big power jump without braking the bank.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
You probably have the Big City Thunder Baffles. Popping could be a number of things.

If you are concerned about running lean or rich check the plugs. If they are coated in black you are running rich. If they are white you are running lean.

One other problem is that the bikes tend to pop especially on decel when you change from stock pipes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I will check the plugs. Any Ideas on the "Plug and play" nitrous systems that fool the computer into delivering extra fuel.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Lloydz has a VFC3 fuel controller that has settings for adding NOS. He also sells complete systems that take the guess work out of things. As to the popping I would guess you have a map thea was designed with cat cons in mind. With your after market baffles the lean cut stratgy in the programing makes it pop

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply, I have posted the same question to Lloyds. Anyone here using NOS on their bike? And how do you like it?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Thanks for the reply, I have posted the same question to Lloyds. Anyone here using NOS on their bike? And how do you like it?
Sorry to jump in on your conversation, but the topic is close.

Thank you for your advice Diamond and Kevin! I just picked up my 07' silver Kingpin Tour from my dealer. I had them put on the S&S air box as you suggested, and put on my son's old 05' Hammer stage1 slipons. I had to drill a couple holes in the muffler mounting to make them fit, but WOW! For such a minor change. My boys won't ask me if my bike is still running at the lights anymore. I am really looking forward to the upcoming rides with them.
Thanks again! tom

·
Registered
60 Posts
Victory Horsepower

Ted, I have a 2006 Vegas with Victory drag pipes, S&S intake and S&S ECU flash. Just did a dyno run last weekend and got 100/110. Fellow running dyno said that with a set of Loydz cams, should be able to bump that up to around 125 HP. Would definitely need to get a Power Commander to get the air/fuel adjusted right. More than that would require some of Loydz magic head-work.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Ted, I have a 2006 Vegas with Victory drag pipes, S&S intake and S&S ECU flash. Just did a dyno run last weekend and got 100/110. Fellow running dyno said that with a set of Loydz cams, should be able to bump that up to around 125 HP. Would definitely need to get a Power Commander to get the air/fuel adjusted right. More than that would require some of Loydz magic head-work.
The dyno used was optimistic, and there is no way that adding cams to an 06 Vegas will get you 125HP. With cams, pistons, intake, head work, and controller 115/115 is good

·
Registered
60 Posts
Kevinx,

Just going by what the man running the dyno said... Those are at the crankshaft numbers; at the rear wheel, 91/101. Would you be able to shed some light on a foot control bracket issue for me? Will the foot control brackets from a 2010 Vegas/Vegas Low work with my shifter lever and brake lever/master cylinder? I already have the -2.5 Victory adapters installed, but they create a cornering clearance issue.

Really appreciate your help!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Kevinx,

Just going by what the man running the dyno said... Those are at the crankshaft numbers; at the rear wheel, 91/101. Would you be able to shed some light on a foot control bracket issue for me? Will the foot control brackets from a 2010 Vegas/Vegas Low work with my shifter lever and brake lever/master cylinder? I already have the -2.5 Victory adapters installed, but they create a cornering clearance issue.

Really appreciate your help!
That makes more sense for the dyno numbers. Just trying to keep things apples, and apples

The foot mounts will work, but not sure if the shift rod will be the right length

·
Registered
60 Posts
foot-peg brackets

Kevinx,

Thanks a bunch. I figured I'd have to fab something with regards to the shifter rod. I really appreciate your help and expertise!

VegasRider

·
Registered
3 Posts
Maps

I just added a Loydd's air box, fuel tuner and RPW swept pipes to my 2008 Vegas 8 Ball and I'm wondering if a dyno is going to make it run any different than the stage 1 settings Loyd give with the tuner? Does anyone have a copy of a map they had done with the same or similar additions?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thunder,

If you got a setup from Lloydz, I would stick with that; he really knows his stuff. Some time on a dyno could definitely dial 'er in just about perfect, but I doubt you are going to see any improvement in power or every day performance.

Calibration on a dyno, that last time I checked, is about $200 per hour. Figure on burning at least an hour to get it dialed in just right, assuming that it is pretty close to begin with.

Are you having any specific issues or just experimenting?

VegasRider

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
O.K, I ran a tank through the bike the other day and got 45 mpg, mostly highway 60-75 mph. I am assuming that is probably too good a gas mileage, haven't checked my plugs yet, check the first post and let me know what you think.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ted,

My Vegas has the S&S map in it and, based on the last dyno run, is spot on. Do you still have the stage-1 map or did you get the S&S map when you installed the S&S air-cleaner? If you are still running the stage-1 map, then you might be on the lean side for your set-up. The popping on decel doen't mean much as mine (and just about every other Vic I have seen with aftermarket exhaust) pops.

It sounds like you are describing a dry-type nitrous system. I have only seen these used on large-displacement, liquid cooled auto engines with aftermarket fuel injection computers that could handle the necessary added fuel to go with the nitrous.

If you are planning to run a nitrous system, I would only consider a wet-type where you can include additional fuel with the nitrous. Bikes, as a rule, need a little excess fuel with nitrous for the cooling effect.

For reliability, I would recommend a set of forged pistons. The cast stockers will not hold up well to the extra heat and pressure of nitrous. Also, plan on spending some time on the dyno getting the system dialed in properly if you want it to be reliable.

Kevinx, can you think of anything to add/correct?

VegasRider

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
As I said before the popping is an inherint issue with the 06-07 maps. They shut off the injectors when you shut the throttle; to clean the cat cons. With the cats in place you barly notice it, but aftermarket pipes give it an off then on throttle pop.

As for the Lloydz NOS system it has a feature to crank up injector pulse with. Making it work like a "wet" system. Have installed several with no problems

·
Registered
60 Posts
Popping on 06 Vegas

Kevinx,

My 06 Vegas (bought new in April 09) did not have cats. Is this just for California bikes in 06? Did all 06 models use the same fuel map and/or computer? Can anything be done to get rid of the popping, or do we just live with it?

Did not know about the Lloydz nitrous set-up. Just getting back to bikes after a long absence...

Thanks again,
VegasRider

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Kevinx,

My 06 Vegas (bought new in April 09) did not have cats. Is this just for California bikes in 06? Did all 06 models use the same fuel map and/or computer? Can anything be done to get rid of the popping, or do we just live with it?

Did not know about the Lloydz nitrous set-up. Just getting back to bikes after a long absence...

Thanks again,
VegasRider
Your bike did, and does have cats. Slide a baffle out, and you will find the honeycomb attached to the leading end. Cutting them off and mapping the bike as an 05 Hammer[only 100" without cats] would get you improved drivability, and about 4-5HP at the tire. Of course this advice is meant for off road competition use only

1 - 20 of 24 Posts