Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched through various post on this topic and still unsure which route to go. I have just finished a road trip and now have over 8000 miles on my 2013 Cross Country. Since my last bike was only an 800cc I am more than happy with the stick setup. Checked out Lloyds web site and can do anything from a simple cam to the whole head for big $$$. Since I seem to be happy with the bike so far I know the whole big money engine upgrade is not for me, but am curious is the exhaust, filter, ATS and the power commander enough for most riders or should the cams be done too? The bike is currently having the engine torn down due to leaky cylinder and be a good time to add in since my factory warranty is almost, but its usually the last step in an upgrade and would cost allot of money right now to add the other required parts. Any advice would be very helpful.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
mate, nice you done 8000

Upgrades are the same as bling2 accessorizes you just want to put YOUR signature on your hobby, that happens to your bike... :D

see my signature, not that I was urging for more speed, then i would have bought another bike, but acceleration is just sooo nice to have and feel on a V-twin :cool:

the sound is amazing now, it is like I have a new bike only the same color, :D that is how nice the change is with all the little things as in my signature,

PS truly believe that upgrades supposed to be above 5 K miles or Kilometer for the engine to wear correctly, as I do oil-sampling every 3000 Km and it is only improving compared to the first oil-sample that was terrible horrifying and shocking, now the oil looks much better.... thumb up

·
Registered
355 Posts
PCV with autotune, lloydz filter, timing wheel set at +5, 1/4 turn throttle spacer and atom bomb mufflers. couldn't be happier! its like a different bike.

·
Super Moderator
5,063 Posts
Intake, exhaust and tuner. Simple.

·
Registered
784 Posts
If you think you may ever want cams, now is the time. Air filter, fuel controller and exhaust will make a lot of difference, but the cams will ice the cake. You will need to get another bike if you "need" more than the 4 items listed. Yes more can be done but it is expensive and the cost vs benefit can fall for some when you get to that.

It is all in what you want and feel you can afford. The above 4 can be had for under $2K and since you are already elbow deep in what an install would be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why not.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If you think you may ever want cams, now is the time. Air filter, fuel controller and exhaust will make a lot of difference, but the cams will ice the cake. You will need to get another bike if you "need" more than the 4 items listed. Yes more can be done but it is expensive and the cost vs benefit can fall for some when you get to that.

It is all in what you want and feel you can afford. The above 4 can be had for under $2K and since you are already elbow deep in what an install would be,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,why not.

Cheers
Yup , now is the time ... Pull the trigger .

·
Registered
12,320 Posts
If you have deep pockets, then buy and do whatever you want. But if money matters to you, as it does to me, I'd pass on the cams, these Vics come out of the box with enough suds to get anyone in trouble. As previously posted, you just want to tinker around and make it yours. I did that too.
Being the frugal type, I found it quite satisfying doing one thing at a time and observing the results. I now have improved performance and sound and spent less than $600 over 4 years. If you want to know what I did, click on a link in my signature and email me.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
If you have deep pockets, then buy and do whatever you want. But if money matters to you, as it does to me, I'd pass on the cams, these Vics come out of the box with enough suds to get anyone in trouble. As previously posted, you just want to tinker around and make it yours. I did that too.
Being the frugal type, I found it quite satisfying doing one thing at a time and observing the results. I now have improved performance and sound and spent less than $600 over 4 years. If you want to know what I did, click on a link in my signature and email me.
Ric , why does your advice always sound better and more practical then mine !:mad::D

·
Registered
12,320 Posts

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
its all about the $$$$$$

i am with vindex, intake-exhaust + fuel tuner, oh + Lloydz timing wheel. the Gen IV fuel controller from dobeck or Lloydz is optimal for most. guessing easily 3 to 4G for cams-intake-exhaust-tuner + dyno time. also you need a good Dyno guy for a good tune using the power commander, IMO the few xtra HP + Torque after the basics are for only a few wanting the most power from a Vic. also IMO if your that power hungry buy a sport bike with the power-handling + brakes included in one package built to go as fast as your balls or ability allows!!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the feedback. Seems most people are happy enough with the basic upgrades. Since the cams would basically be the last step I am going pass on it since I have not done the all the other stuff yet. Take one step at a time instead of breaking the bank in one big purchase.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I'm gonna assume you would get the cams installed basically for free since the bike is being torn down. For what you will save in having the cams installed later you can buy all the other goodies everyone is talking about.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Seems to me that the revrange you ride in will dictate whether or not you're gonna need cams.
Since the cams really start doing their thing above 4000rpm, and from 2000- 3000 the torque and power is significantly under what it is without the cams, (look and compare dyno graphs), ask yourself what you want from a V-twin and how you intend to ride.
Sure its nice to have Gutsy balls out performance from 4-6K.....but
the only time my bike really sees those sort of revs is if you wanna see off a Harley in the next lane, and unless he/she is riding a cammed up monster then youre gonna probably be out in front anyway.
Riding home late last night on the freeway I was sitting on 2800 rpm in 6th gear at the 110 kph speed limit, at 3000rpm it was singing a real nice song with plenty in reserve, probably doing around your 75 mph and right in the zone.
The boys with the cams say you dont feel any loss of torque below 3000rpm, not having ridden a cammed up bike I cant comment on the 'feel' but the dyno charts show a different story.
Basically the camshaft is the 'heart' of the motor, it dictates exactly the rev range you want your power band to be strongest, you can't gain lots up top without losing a bit down low.
With that said, considering your top end of your motor is pulled down already, I would be seriously considering fitting now if you desire them, cos dollarwise now is the time.
Hope that made sense.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I would do the following and bet you would be very happy.

1. Dobeck AFR+ GEN4 fuel controller

2. D&D exhaust

3. Lloydz air filter

4. Lloydz timing wheel set at +4 degrees

5. Victory or Accel silicone heavy duty plug wires

The above combination works very well together.

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
So, with all these folks going to the Dobeck or Lloydz Gen 4, does that mean we'll see any used PCV's for sale? ;)

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
So, with all these folks going to the Dobeck or Lloydz Gen 4, does that mean we'll see any used PCV's for sale? ;)
no fear!...I'm staying with my PCV and dyno, might be dearer but my bike deserves the best.

·
Registered
781 Posts
yeah count me in as not having enough Jack to help LLoyd buy that island just yet. :)

That said- Currently my bike is stock save the OEM Xbows, Victory's version of a hi Performance Air filter, and stage 1 download. Although it will beat feet beautifully as it is- I also understand it can be much better. All the bits and terms make me a bit dizzy at times, but as the budget will allow my long terms plans include:

Fuel controller- PCV I guess. Mainly to richen it up a bit as my Victory is like any other unmodified- runs too lean and has randomly stalled a couple times from idle. I'm not really sure how Autotune relates to this- but if it benefits from it- I will do that too.

Adjustable Timing wheel.

I LOVE the snarling look of those Torque tubes- and I have no doubt they would suck like a black hole compared to stock- but damn these are a lot of $. I may have to settle for regular LLoyds filter.

My hope is to have these all installed and tuned on the dyno simultaneously. I tend to be slow to spend on big ticket items- but when I do I want to do it right.

Cams... eh... I dunno about that yet.. Would be nice if budget allows.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Seems most people are happy enough with the basic upgrades. Since the cams would basically be the last step I am going pass on it since I have not done the all the other stuff yet. Take one step at a time instead of breaking the bank in one big purchase.
If you are not planning on cams there is a VFC 3 for sale in the classifieds. I don't know the seller, but the price is right and it is all you would need with an intake and exhaust. Plus you would not need a dyno. Cheapest way to a good running bike.

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
yeah count me in as not having enough Jack to help LLoyd buy that island just yet. :)

That said- Currently my bike is stock save the OEM Xbows, Victory's version of a hi Performance Air filter, and stage 1 download. Although it will beat feet beautifully as it is- I also understand it can be much better. All the bits and terms make me a bit dizzy at times, but as the budget will allow my long terms plans include:

Fuel controller- PCV I guess. Mainly to richen it up a bit as my Victory is like any other unmodified- runs too lean and has randomly stalled a couple times from idle. I'm not really sure how Autotune relates to this- but if it benefits from it- I will do that too.

Adjustable Timing wheel.

I LOVE the snarling look of those Torque tubes- and I have no doubt they would suck like a black hole compared to stock- but damn these are a lot of $. I may have to settle for regular LLoyds filter.

My hope is to have these all installed and tuned on the dyno simultaneously. I tend to be slow to spend on big ticket items- but when I do I want to do it right.

Cams... eh... I dunno about that yet.. Would be nice if budget allows.
Vindex knocked up a great home made set of Torquetubes that look and perform great, don't see why anyone with a bit of talent in that direction and a bit of time on their hands couldn't come up with something similar.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Doubtful. The PCV has a niche all to itself. The ability to micro tune to a specific criteria is the strong spot. It has its place, and it is solid. The AFR+4 is an easy way for the garage handy guy to get very good results without the cost or need (although I'm sure a dyno tune wouldn't hurt anything) of professional dyno tuning. It also eliminates the need for a new tune if something changes. Altitude shouldn't be a problem either. Not sure if it is with the PCV, but it doesn't work off the "fly".

VFC3's may however become plentiful. Time will tell.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts