Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am fast approaching the 30K-mile mark and I looked at the Periodic Maintenance Table and it shows "Drive Belt - Replace". Has anyone on here actually replaced their belt at 30K miles? Would you expect the dealership to replace it at 30K miles as part of the prepaid maintenance plan? I will find out the answer to my second question soon as I need to get the routine maintenance done before heading to Sturgis.

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
13,263 Posts
clean your belt with soap and water using a toothbrush every oil change. You should be good till 80 thousand. Then maybe replace it.
Vic is so far off on their maintenance schedule its assnine.
Why would you spend 500 bucks to replace something thats still perfectly good.
Over on a vision forum there a lot of guys with 80 thousand on their belt

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
clean your belt with soap and water using a toothbrush every oil change. You should be good till 80 thousand. Then maybe replace it.
Vic is so far off on their maintenance schedule its assnine.
Why would you spend 500 bucks to replace something thats still perfectly good.
Over on a vision forum there a lot of guys with 80 thousand on their belt
Thanks for the advice on cleaning it.

I wouldn't pay to replace the belt but I doubt I would turn it down if it was included in the prepaid maintenance.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
That's good info Toledo.

Thing is your sample is at least somewhat
A. riders with a low tolerance for wear and tear and a limited capacity for distancing themselves from factory recommendations.
B. riders with broke stuff.

We got guys like Motorbikerx running around with a hole in his belt for umpty thousand miles. I doubt an authorized shop would let that fly. Not that Motorbikerx is necessarily representative of the rest of motorcyclists that don't have maintenance done at dealerships, but he is one example.

Not knocking your numbers, just questioning the diversity of your data pool.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Just from what our riders around here have been saying they get out of em or what they figure is a good number to change it out at, One gent is at 75k and still going on the first one,2012 CC, Texas to Ohio, and all in between.

Another gent, bought a spare and used it at 31K.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Keep running it I reckon, I'm at close to 50,000 miles and the last half of that with a central hole from a stone I removed.
I dont do the toothbrush trip either.
I bought a spare belt from HET and will run this one tiil it breaks (no more dragstrip though)
Id love to get all the belts they change out at 30,000 and I'd have a free endless supply of belts with harldy half thier useful life.

·
13,263 Posts
look in your owner's book it will show you what to look for when inspecting the belt.
A to tight belt will rip the teeth off the belt.
A to loose belt will break on you

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just passed the 30K mark and the belt is fine. I clean it when I wash the bike and inspect it whenever I check the air in the tires. It looks fine and I have no intention of replacing it anytime soon, nor am I worried. If it ain't broke, don't fix it....

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Fwiw, I took my bike in yesterday for the prepaid maintenance and I was told they would be replacing the belt. I agree that it is not necessary but since it is included in the maintenance, I see no reason to refuse it. I would venture to say that I am one of the few customers who purchased the ppm and made it to 30,000 miles before the two year expiration time of the maintenance. The book says replace so they're doing it.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Fwiw, I took my bike in yesterday for the prepaid maintenance and I was told they would be replacing the belt. I agree that it is not necessary but since it is included in the maintenance, I see no reason to refuse it. I would venture to say that I am one of the few customers who purchased the ppm and made it to 30,000 miles before the two year expiration time of the maintenance. The book says replace so they're doing it.
Id ask for the old belt back, be a waste it ending up in thier trash.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I am at almost 22k and no way will I be changing it at 30. This is the same identical belt used for an HD where they recommend replacement at 50k. If you go on one of their forums you will find lots of folks saying that is way too soon.

·
13,263 Posts
Keep the old belt. Store is not on a hook and try to keep it in a big loop.
If you ever need a belt you'll have one.

When if you use it put it on so you can read the name victory. The belts wear like a radial tire and you can not change the direction on them

1 - 17 of 17 Posts