Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, phase one of my bike project is finished. I've gotten a helluva lot of good info here and I thought I'd try to give some back by doing this write up. I've included links in the last part (part #3) pointing to all the products. I'll be doing more on the bike later, but this is what I've got so far.

You'll have to go through all the posts to see all the pics (there is a limit of 5 pics per post).

First, I've got a 2013 Cross Country in suede nuclear sunset color that I bought used with 3300 miles on it. It had these incredibly bad little mirrors (although the owner had kept the stock ones), a Klockwerks windshield, the Arlen Ness modular ape handlebars, and stage 1 factory exhaust. Those were the only modifications to it when I bought it.


Here's a list of what I've done so far:

  • I have no idea why, but my entire bike was matte except both hand levers (aluminum color), the foot brake lever (gloss black), the foot clutch lever (gloss black), and the upper forks (gloss black). I took all those off (except the forks) and had them all powder coated matte black to match the crash bars.
  • Installed saddlebag rails and had them powder coated matte back.
  • Took the foam part of the backrest off and had the passenger backrest powdercoated matte black as well as the luggage rack.
  • Replaced the stock floorboards with Eddie Triotta floorboards (see pics). The springs were a little troublesome, but was able to get them back on properly after a couple of tries.
  • Installed Kuryakyn Liberator foot pegs with stirrups (see pics). When I first ordered everything, I ordered the Longhorn Offset Dually Highway Pegs to go with them thinking they would provide the maximum amount of positioning flexibility. Wrong answer! They placed the footpegs either too close to the engine or too far out to the sides. I wound up using the magnum quick clamps that came with the duallys and used a set of Short Magnum Peg Mounts and bolted those onto the quick clamps. Been working great so far. BTW, had all the parts powdercoated matte black.
  • Removed the Arlen Ness modular apes as they sat a little too far forward for my tastes (I prefer to lean back a bit). I replaced them with Vicbaggers Tarzanz bars at +2 back and +2 up from stock. Taking the fairing apart was a royal pain in the ass given the screws are so difficult to get to for the inner fairing. The handlebars had holes at the top for running wiring and they worked just fine. I was able to take all the controls off, cut the wires, run the wires through the handlebars, and solder extensions for all the wires (think it was 24 wires in total). Obviously, the wires just weren't long enough, but I was able to get the clutch cable and throttle cables to fit. It's tight, but there's just enough play for it all to work. This was the most time consuming part of my little project so far.

    BTW, some of you may remember that I was asking about running the clutch cable and throttle cables inside the hanldebars. That was just a no go. After running the wiring, there just wasn't enough room and frankly, it was going to be just too much damn trouble to make that work correctly. I'm perfectly happy with those cables running outside the handlebars given the trouble it would have been to run them inside.
  • Installed the Lloydz quarter throttle ring. This was a pain in the ass. Given how little play I had left after installing the new handlebars, it was a real challenge getting this on. I loosened the throttle cable bolts sitting next to the engine and the adjusters right next to the housing as well. I was just maybe 1/8" of an inch too short. I took a chance and cut just a little bit off the corner of the stock plastic throttle ring where the throttle cable slides into its little housing and was able to force the cable over that and into the grove where the cable sits. I was concerned the cable might come off due to my modification, but I've put about 1500 miles on it and no issues so far.
  • Purchased and installed the Kewl Metal heel shifter (see pic). I have to say that I am not at all happy with their customer service. It took about six weeks to get it and I had to pester them to even get a response. I finally did get it and took it down to a machine shop and had them machine out a stock sized threaded hole so I could use stock sized pegs instead of that little crap thing they included.
  • Replaced the stock grips and shift pegs (adding new heel shifter peg) with Avon Excalibur style in both (see pics of grip and above pic for shift pegs). I'm happy with both so far, although all of them are a bit sharp and I'm wondering if someone on some bike night is gonna drunkenly impale themselves on the grips and sue me for my recklessness. I really hope I don't have to bury them in the back yard as I'm sure the dogs will dig up the body. ;-)
  • Ordered the Kuryakyn Liberator brake pedal and had Dain made me an adapter for it so it would fit my brake lever (see pics).
CONTINUE ON TO PART 2
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
396 Posts
LOOKIN GOODcheers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,069 Posts
You neglected to mention the passenger floor boards.... :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Top