Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Bought a Ram phone mount that connects via ball-hitches and it hooks to bike via replacing bottom of the clutch reservoir clamp.

Unfortunately, my handlebars were swapped out at the dealer and are about 1 1/4" wide, and the Ram accessory was built for smaller handebars. Basically the bolts weren't the right size nor were the spacers. After a lot of fiddling around cutting bolts and machining new spacers, I still have no luck getting the mount to come flush to the clutch/handlebar mechanism.

So! Any recommendations for a aesthetically pleasing looking Phone/GPS mount?

·
Registered
450 Posts
A local dealer for Ram products told me the clutch perch won't work on any of the Vic's. He said it is only for the perch with the screws in the back, not the bottom. I don't know... They also make a mount that will attach to the mirror base that seems to be fairly unobtrusive.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if it's aesthetically pleasing enough, but I mounted it so the screw is on the bottom and you don't even really see it.....

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030HO6SM/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1[/ame]

·
Registered
781 Posts
http://www.victoryforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3601

The first 3 shots are of my RAM X Grip. I don't think it looks bad, but to each his own.

It's secure, but not overtightened over a piece of electrical tape to minimize marking up the handlebars. Clamp is positioned so that it is obscured by cables. I elected to go with the medium sized arm.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
OK. Bought a Ram phone mount that connects via ball-hitches and it hooks to bike via replacing bottom of the clutch reservoir clamp.

Unfortunately, my handlebars were swapped out at the dealer and are about 1 1/4" wide, and the Ram accessory was built for smaller handebars. Basically the bolts weren't the right size nor were the spacers. After a lot of fiddling around cutting bolts and machining new spacers, I still have no luck getting the mount to come flush to the clutch/handlebar mechanism.

It's not clear to me whether you're looking for another way to add a RAM ball or a new device to cradle your phone, or both.

If you can't use the Victory clutch-holder replacement (that accepts RAM balls in various locations), you might want to check out Mounting Innovations. I have their "Chrome Handlebar Mount with 1" Ball"; see http://mountinginnovations.com/RAM Products/Bases/RAM Bases.htm and then http://mountinginnovations.com/RAM Products/Chrome/Chrome.htm . This is available in either chrome or black (not listed). You'll note that this fits 1" - 1 1/4", and you could mount this somewhere on your bars.

Attached is a pic of the black version (and you'll note that I also have the Victory replacement bottom bracket and a couple of RAM balls in it).

If you're looking for a phone mount, you could get one of those "X" mounts (for assorted phones, in or out of cases) sold by RAM and a lot of other vendors. Depending on your particular phone -- which you didn't specify -- you can probably get a dedicated mount from RAM and many other companies. I have a RAM mount for my iPhone4; I hardly ever use that mount, but it was cheap enough.

Of course, you'll also need an extension or two for RAM-ball work. The intermediate, general-purpose, and probably most useful one is their 3" extension. I have a few of those, and also one of their 6" extensions.

Attachments

·
13,188 Posts
Go to Kuryakyn web site they must have a good dozen mounts for different location on the bike

·
Premium Member
489 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
http://www.victoryforums.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=3601

The first 3 shots are of my RAM X Grip. I don't think it looks bad, but to each his own.

It's secure, but not overtightened over a piece of electrical tape to minimize marking up the handlebars. Clamp is positioned so that it is obscured by cables. I elected to go with the medium sized arm.
Looks good on those bars. Wonder what it would look like on my Hammer stock V bar? Thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
790 Posts

Just get a standard ram mount, the "U" type mount that matches your handle bar diameter and use ram extensions to put it anywhere on the bars you want. If worried about scratches, put a small piece of electrical tape under it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's not clear to me whether you're looking for another way to add a RAM ball or a new device to cradle your phone, or both.

If you can't use the Victory clutch-holder replacement (that accepts RAM balls in various locations), you might want to check out Mounting Innovations. I have their "Chrome Handlebar Mount with 1" Ball"; see http://mountinginnovations.com/RAM Products/Bases/RAM Bases.htm and then http://mountinginnovations.com/RAM Products/Chrome/Chrome.htm . This is available in either chrome or black (not listed). You'll note that this fits 1" - 1 1/4", and you could mount this somewhere on your bars.
Wow, lot of responses.

I have the RAM extensions and the attachment to the reservoirs. While I originally debated on the U-Bolt mounts, I wanted to get something that looked a little neater. I actually like this entire handlebar-clasp that you have listed here. I'll see if I can get one in black if at all.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Wow, lot of responses.

I have the RAM extensions and the attachment to the reservoirs. While I originally debated on the U-Bolt mounts, I wanted to get something that looked a little neater. I actually like this entire handlebar-clasp that you have listed here. I'll see if I can get one in black if at all.
Those Mounting Innovation mounts were pointed out to me by someone else here, a few months ago. They're very classy and solid mounts,

Yep, they're available in black (which is hard to tell in a shiny pic, but mine are). I asked them (this past April) if they would make some in black, and they did. The RAM-ball stalk is still silver.

The part number is Chrome-B-231U-BLK, but since it's not listed I'd check with them via a call or email. Same $28.95 + shipping as the chrome. Here are two more pics.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts