Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking at a couple Moto Guzzi motorcycles lately. Not looking to buy at this point, just curious. I rode Moto Guzzi bikes for over 35 years at one point. But their red and black Eldorado and the MGX-21 are interesting motorcycles. Not sure I could really go from a mildly tuned Victory 106 to a Guzzi 1400cc bike though.

I don't really know the overall size differences between Piaggio and Polaris. But their social impact difference is quite sizable. It's very easy to see and get information on what's going on and where they're doing what with Moto Guzzi via social media with Facebook, an app and email notification. It's also interesting that for the third year in a row, Moto Guzzi is front and center at Sturgis with test rides and deals on new bikes a plenty. Yes, I know Polaris Indian is also their. But Moto Guzzi isn't pretending to be anyone but themselves while Polaris Indian is trying to convince people they go back to 1901.

So yea, there isn't another Moto Guzzi in my immediate future. Though I am holding out hope that for their centennial in 2021, Guzzi will have something closer to an 1800cc engine, more accessories and a better dealer network. Plus maybe another bagger to go along with the MGX-21 or a touring bike with better touring capabilities than their current CA Tourer.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, the CA Touring is a great Italian version of the Victory Cross Roads. Though the layout is much more relaxed and open on the Victory. Though I think the Guzzi has about a half inch more wheelbase. But the Guzzi just doesn't take advantage of the available space like Polaris did with the Victory line.

·
Registered
12,245 Posts
No mfr, not even Indian, matches the ergos of a Victory Cross bike.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
MG

I guess I caught one of the MotoGuzzi adds on Facebook or an email. They said they are having a big sale right now. Looks likes some good deals for real. Just the problem I have is not enough cash in the pockets to fork it out right now. So I was curious who and where are the dealers in my area? So I entered our zip code. In Az they have two right now, one in Tuscon & one in Prescott. Both cities are quite a trip from here. But I could have sworn they had a dealer over in Chandler or Mesa just a couple of years ago, much closer for me and many thousands of others in the valley here. If they still have a dealer in the Mesa/Chandler area MotoGuzzi would benefit themselves and many others by correcting there web site. Now a few years back I stopped in the Prescott shop, back then it was in an old gas station, pretty cool old bike shop. I do not know if the Prescott shop has moved but the people working there did seem vary knowledgeable about the MotoGuzzi and they do race them also. Like I said it did seem pretty cool..... Still got my little 850 engine sitting in the corner waiting to be brought to life again. Funny how an 850cc bike use to be considered big and now it is considered small. Times have changed.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am actually in serious LIKE with something that has caught my attention2600 miles from me, ugh. A well kept low mileage 2003 EV1100 California sitting in Ohio just now. I can't shake wanting another Guzzi after I've had a Norge. I've always thought of Guzzi as the ove child from a HD and a BMW.

·
Super Moderator
4,986 Posts
I am actually in serious LIKE with something that has caught my attention2600 miles from me, ugh. A well kept low mileage 2003 EV1100 California sitting in Ohio just now. I can't shake wanting another Guzzi after I've had a Norge. I've always thought of Guzzi as the child from a HD and a BeeEm W affair
with Italian flair!!
Buddy of mine here in AZ flew to Pennsylvania and bought a Guzzi then rode it back to AZ. Where there's a will.....

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I flew to Albany, NY, bought a XCT from a member here,and rode it home to western NC. I also flew to Little Rock, Arkansas, had a friend pick me up and drive me to Hot Springs, Arkansas, I bought a used XCT from a dealer, and rode it home to central FL. Where there is a will, there is a way :)

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I am actually in serious LIKE with something that has caught my attention2600 miles from me, ugh. A well kept low mileage 2003 EV1100 California sitting in Ohio just now. I can't shake wanting another Guzzi after I've had a Norge. I've always thought of Guzzi as the ove child from a HD and a BMW.
2003 may be the 1100 hydro motor meaning it has hydraulic lifters instead of solid lifters. PLEASE, do yourself a HUGE favor and 100% positively verify each and every factory update has been done to that engine if it is a hydro motor. One way to know is to remove the valve covers and visually inspect the tappets. If you can't 100% verify the latest updates, you'd do yourself well by letting that one stay in Ohio. Another thing to verify is if it has the original single plate clutch. That's another guaranteed failure item.

You're also on Wildguzzi so there's a LOT to read on the brief Moto Guzzi hydro motor and the single plate clutch. Especially by reading everything Pete Roper has posted about them. Whatever Pete Roper writes regarding the mechanics of a Moto Guzzi will be correct.

My favorite Moto Guzzis were my 1999 (black) and 2000 (blue/silver) Bassa. Same mechanics as the EV but to me, better aesthetics. My last Guzzi was a 2009 pearl white California Vintage. For some reason I never bonded with that one.

The Moto Guzzi V-Twin has been said to be a happy BMW Boxer twin.

·
Registered
321 Posts
2003 may be the 1100 hydro motor meaning it has hydraulic lifters instead of solid lifters. PLEASE, do yourself a HUGE favor and 100% positively verify each and every factory update has been done to that engine if it is a hydro motor. One way to know is to remove the valve covers and visually inspect the tappets. If you can't 100% verify the latest updates, you'd do yourself well by letting that one stay in Ohio. Another thing to verify is if it has the original single plate clutch. That's another guaranteed failure item.

You're also on Wildguzzi so there's a LOT to read on the brief Moto Guzzi hydro motor and the single plate clutch. Especially by reading everything Pete Roper has posted about them. Whatever Pete Roper writes regarding the mechanics of a Moto Guzzi will be correct.

My favorite Moto Guzzis were my 1999 (black) and 2000 (blue/silver) Bassa. Same mechanics as the EV but to me, better aesthetics. My last Guzzi was a 2009 pearl white California Vintage. For some reason I never bonded with that one.

The Moto Guzzi V-Twin has been said to be a happy BMW Boxer twin.
Hi Mark, Thanks for your MG input. I agree with everything you said and waiting to hear from the owner about the recalls done with svc paperwork. 03-04 is the Hydro motor and I know about the 3 recalls. I read all that Roper writes as the plain truth. Here is a picture of the best looking EV1100 I have seen sitting in Ohio. It even has the oil filter modification so as not to have to drop the oil pan. Have not heard back from the owner so unsure what to make of that. Might just wait for one to materialize in my neck of the woods.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,868 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
What about the black engine paint? Does this one fall into the timeline of the fuzzy black engine paint that flakes off or was that only on a few earlier ones. The EV Touring is a very nice and a very capable motorcycle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts