Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang. I am pulling the trigger on a brand-spanking new 2016 Cross Country this coming weekend, and boy am I excited (and a little nervous to be honest). I am moving up from a 2007 Honda Shadow 750 (hence my nervousness), which, for me, is a HUGE jump. Never been on a scoot like that before.

Here is my list of things that I've not had on a bike before owning the Cross Country;

-A motor that powerful (from a 750 to 1700)
-That much weight (600lbs to 800lbs)
-A fairing (just a windshield)
-Floorboards (always had pegs)
-Shaft final drive on the shadow to a belt on the Victory
-ABS (regular ol' disc on the shadow)

I hope you all will indulge me as I ask a bunch of NOOB questions...

1. I plan on doing plenty of parking lot practice before I start commuting on it, anything quirky about the handling?
2. Any high cost/high maintenance items I should be aware of?
3. I am a little concerned about the belt drive, is there an add-on that will help protect it?
4. Speaking of add-ons, any recommendations on what the first things I should get for it?

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you may offer.

JC

·
Registered
746 Posts
Congratulations on the new ride.
1. Only low cost maintenance, fresh tires and regular oil changes
2. Any difference between 600 lbs and 800 lbs disappears after 5 mph.
3. Don't worry about the belt.
4. If you do any highway riding I suspect you'll quickly want to improve wind management by playing with different windshield configurations and combinations of lowers and deflectors which are all hotly debated on this forum.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Congrates

You are absolutely going to enjoy that bike. The ride and handling is GREAT...Don't be afraid to push it in the curves cause it can handle what ever you want it to. The weight may seem a little much at first but once you get use to it...WOW...you'll be amazed how well it handles.
My suggestion is to get a back rest installed ASAP. It will make those long rides a lot more comfortable. Ride on Bro...Hope to hear some good news on how you like it soon.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I went from a 2013 Suzuki C50 (800) to a 2013 Cross Country Tour, I didn't take long at all to get used to the extra weight, probably the first couple of rides around town and I was good. The first time I got on the highway, I knew I was in love..:grin

I had added a batwing fairing to my suzuki, so it was probably close to 700 lbs, so I went up at least 150 lbs, I'm sure with gas and oil, it's a little more, but I didn't really notice a big difference at all. You'll really enjoy the new ride!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I went from a Kawasaki 900 Classic (around 650 lbs) to my Cross Country Tour. The Cross Country is such a well balanced bike you will barely notice the extra weight. Congrats on the new bike.

·
13,188 Posts
There are plenty of AZ riders here on this form. Read owners book on how to check oil. By the way Vic's don't use oil. Get use to the brakes you might not stop as short as before. Belt should be good for 80 thousand. The hard part is making sure dealer gets it right when you do tire change.
For now take long way to work and home so you get used to the bike. Have a good time ridding

·
Registered
23 Posts
Y'all nailed it! My only complaint with my 2014 cross country is what to do to it. It needed nothing. I added cams ,a timing wheel pc5, pipes(atom bombs) and had it dynoed. Major difference with those changes and all for $ 2k. I may get more radical later but for now it's perfect. Oh and I added passenger floorboards. It seemed a little top heavy but I quickly got used to that . She likes to to run,so ride it like ya stole it. She'll just want more. Congratulations8 and enjoy!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
First of all, congratulations on the new ride! If you're like a lot of us, you'll roll on the miles effortlessly. I've had 21k miles with nothing but tires and oil. So far, I've done pipes, Lloydz air filter, timing wheel, and PC5 with dyno. Oh, and hard lowers, amp, speakers, trunk, wind deflectors, LED headlight; other than that it's bone stock. :) Huge difference. I came from a Kawi C-14, so it was a major step down in power, major step up in comfort. Low speed handling is also improved from the Concours since it has a lower center of gravity.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
She's gonna be tight at first - break-in takes about 3K miles. Read the manual to get a lot of answers. Don't assume the shop set it up right - check the air...40F, 42R and 15 or more in the rear shock. Get yourself a rear shock air pump and never use compressor air on the shock. Access the battery and place lock washers under the bolts and tighten them, they have a tendency to loosen. I hope you got the 500 mile service INCLUDED in the deal. If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do ALL your own maintenance including wheel removals. There are YouTube vids for every operation on these bikes. Just cuz its a big V-Twin, don't think its a tractor engine, never ride under 2500 and shift at 3500. You can not hurt these engines. Re add-ons; give yourself time, hang around this forum, ask questions, look at our signatures. I could make recommendations, but I think you should give it time. You made a wise choice, these bikes are super dependable and you will be riding it for many miles and years. Welcome.

·
Registered
2,389 Posts
Congratulations and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
36 Posts
1. I plan on doing plenty of parking lot practice before I start commuting on it, anything quirky about the handling?JC
This is not really a quirk, but something that kinda caught me off guard when I started riding my Magnum (coming from a Gunner).
I tried to back it up into my parking space like I would the gunner (quickly with steering at full lock) and it almost got away from me.
To me, when it started to get out of balance going backwards, it felt like the additional weight was all in the fairing. I now back it up slow and steady.

Also, of the stuff I changed on my bike, I think the biggest improvement was changing the windshield to a Madstad windshield.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts
JC, some helpful tips....
+When starting a Vic, wait 'til the pump stops priming before hitting the starter and hold the throttle open about 1/8 turn.
+For smoother and quieter shifts, preload the shifter.
+Keep those revs up, don't lug the engine.
+Have fun.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
+When starting a Vic, wait 'til the pump stops priming before hitting the starter and hold the throttle open about 1/8 turn.
+Have fun.
The above 100% plus don't let up on the starter button until it actually starts running. If you let off the starter button you run the risk of damaging your starter clutch. If you damage that, the bike won't go anywhere under it's own power till you replace it. Especially in cold weather. Quickly get into the correct stating habit and do it correctly each and every time.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Congratulations! You're gonna love it. I picked up my new 2016 this last Spring and have 6800+ miles on it already.
Aftermarket items I've added are:
VictoryHID headlamps. 4 times brighter and whiter light. Just finished a 1100 mile ride with friends and they said I had the brightest light.
Lower windscreen. I can see over this one when it rains.
Lloyds timing wheel set at +4 degrees. More low end torque and hp.
Highway pegs that are for the Vision but fit the XCT just fine.
Utopia driver backrest. Love it.
Kuryakin drink holders for driver and passenger.
Garmin Zumo 660 GPS. It integrates with the bike very well and talks to my Sena head set.
SiriusXM radio mounted in the trunk. Good music everywhere I go.

Now I'm looking for 2 inch set back handlebars. I'm 68 years old and my elbows tend to hurt on long rides. Oh, and I have the Lloyds 1/4 turn throttle ring on order.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Gratz! and Welcome from Glendale.
If you ever feel like riding north to Prescott through Wickenburg & Yarnell let me know, i end up going up there almost every weekend lately... :grin
oh yeah, post some pics too

·
13,188 Posts
JC In AZ

What have you decided to do to your bike. Hows the riding

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
JC In AZ

What have you decided to do to your bike. Hows the riding
Hi, visionjohnny. I've had the scoot about a week now, and absolutely love it. I will be posting a 'first ride report' in a couple of days, but I wanted to reply to everyones post first..

So, here they are. All in one post. Probably the world's longest post, too.

Congratulations on the new ride.
1. Only low cost maintenance, fresh tires and regular oil changes
2. Any difference between 600 lbs and 800 lbs disappears after 5 mph.
3. Don't worry about the belt.
4. If you do any highway riding I suspect you'll quickly want to improve wind management by playing with different windshield configurations and combinations of lowers and deflectors which are all hotly debated on this forum.
Thanks, id-man. Regular maintenance I am OK, with. It comes with the territory. I will definitely look into those lowers. and deflectors.

You are absolutely going to enjoy that bike. The ride and handling is GREAT...Don't be afraid to push it in the curves cause it can handle what ever you want it to. The weight may seem a little much at first but once you get use to it...WOW...you'll be amazed how well it handles.
My suggestion is to get a back rest installed ASAP. It will make those long rides a lot more comfortable. Ride on Bro...Hope to hear some good news on how you like it soon.
Thanks, olddad64. Looking forward to it, in fact, I chose this bike specifically for those long rides the missus and I plan on taking.

I went from a 2013 Suzuki C50 (800) to a 2013 Cross Country Tour, I didn't take long at all to get used to the extra weight, probably the first couple of rides around town and I was good. The first time I got on the highway, I knew I was in love..:grin

I had added a batwing fairing to my suzuki, so it was probably close to 700 lbs, so I went up at least 150 lbs, I'm sure with gas and oil, it's a little more, but I didn't really notice a big difference at all. You'll really enjoy the new ride!!
Thanks, icewntrs. My former bike had bags and a windshield. This will be my first one with a fairing. I am definitely looking forward to it.

I went from a Kawasaki 900 Classic (around 650 lbs) to my Cross Country Tour. The Cross Country is such a well balanced bike you will barely notice the extra weight. Congrats on the new bike.
Thanks, Victor57. I've heard good things about how well balanced it is.

There are plenty of AZ riders here on this form. Read owners book on how to check oil. By the way Vic's don't use oil. Get use to the brakes you might not stop as short as before. Belt should be good for 80 thousand. The hard part is making sure dealer gets it right when you do tire change.
For now take long way to work and home so you get used to the bike. Have a good time ridding
Thanks, visionjohhny. I plan studying the manual. I'm looking forward to meeting other AZ riders.

Y'all nailed it! My only complaint with my 2014 cross country is what to do to it. It needed nothing. I added cams ,a timing wheel pc5, pipes(atom bombs) and had it dynoed. Major difference with those changes and all for $ 2k. I may get more radical later but for now it's perfect. Oh and I added passenger floorboards. It seemed a little top heavy but I quickly got used to that . She likes to to run,so ride it like ya stole it. She'll just want more. Congratulations and enjoy!
Thanks, TGold. I'm not looking to do much to the bike, other than a few accessories for the passenger part.

First of all, congratulations on the new ride! If you're like a lot of us, you'll roll on the miles effortlessly. I've had 21k miles with nothing but tires and oil. So far, I've done pipes, Lloydz air filter, timing wheel, and PC5 with dyno. Oh, and hard lowers, amp, speakers, trunk, wind deflectors, LED headlight; other than that it's bone stock. :) Huge difference. I came from a Kawi C-14, so it was a major step down in power, major step up in comfort. Low speed handling is also improved from the Concours since it has a lower center of gravity.
Thanks, johneswank. Definitely liking some of the things you've added to the bike.

She's gonna be tight at first - break-in takes about 3K miles. Read the manual to get a lot of answers. Don't assume the shop set it up right - check the air...40F, 42R and 15 or more in the rear shock. Get yourself a rear shock air pump and never use compressor air on the shock. Access the battery and place lock washers under the bolts and tighten them, they have a tendency to loosen. I hope you got the 500 mile service INCLUDED in the deal. If you know which end of the screwdriver is the handle, you can do ALL your own maintenance including wheel removals. There are YouTube vids for every operation on these bikes. Just cuz its a big V-Twin, don't think its a tractor engine, never ride under 2500 and shift at 3500. You can not hurt these engines. Re add-ons; give yourself time, hang around this forum, ask questions, look at our signatures. I could make recommendations, but I think you should give it time. You made a wise choice, these bikes are super dependable and you will be riding it for many miles and years. Welcome.
Thanks, RICZ. Thanks for the hand pump tip. I'll try the one I have for my bicycle to see if will work. That's good to know about the rpm's, I'll keep that in mind. I probably won't do much of my own wrenching. I like using local shops for the maintenance. Gives them the business, and keeps me from messing something up.

Congrats on the new ride!
Thanks, Abe5.

Congratulations and welcome to the forum!
Thanks, TNXR.

This is not really a quirk, but something that kinda caught me off guard when I started riding my Magnum (coming from a Gunner).
I tried to back it up into my parking space like I would the gunner (quickly with steering at full lock) and it almost got away from me.
To me, when it started to get out of balance going backwards, it felt like the additional weight was all in the fairing. I now back it up slow and steady.

Also, of the stuff I changed on my bike, I think the biggest improvement was changing the windshield to a Madstad windshield.
Thanks, swiftdescent. I will definitely be exercising extreme caution when moving it around under my own power.

+Have fun.
Thanks, RICZ. Great tips on the starting and shifting. Looking for to miles of fun on it.

The above 100% plus don't let up on the starter button until it actually starts running. If you let off the starter button you run the risk of damaging your starter clutch. If you damage that, the bike won't go anywhere under it's own power till you replace it. Especially in cold weather. Quickly get into the correct stating habit and do it correctly each and every time.
Thanks, Chattanooga Mark. Great tip. Starter clutch sounds expensive.

Congratulations! You're gonna love it. I picked up my new 2016 this last Spring and have 6800+ miles on it already.
Aftermarket items I've added are:
VictoryHID headlamps. 4 times brighter and whiter light. Just finished a 1100 mile ride with friends and they said I had the brightest light.
Lower windscreen. I can see over this one when it rains.
Lloyds timing wheel set at +4 degrees. More low end torque and hp.
Highway pegs that are for the Vision but fit the XCT just fine.
Utopia driver backrest. Love it.
Kuryakin drink holders for driver and passenger.
Garmin Zumo 660 GPS. It integrates with the bike very well and talks to my Sena head set.
SiriusXM radio mounted in the trunk. Good music everywhere I go.

Now I'm looking for 2 inch set back handlebars. I'm 68 years old and my elbows tend to hurt on long rides. Oh, and I have the Lloyds 1/4 turn throttle ring on order.
Thanks, DwayneS. I like the brighter lights. Can't be bright enough for me. Those accessories you added are a great idea. I plan on having the XC when I hit 70 in about 8 years.

Gratz! and Welcome from Glendale.
If you ever feel like riding north to Prescott through Wickenburg & Yarnell let me know, i end up going up there almost every weekend lately... :grin
oh yeah, post some pics too
Thanks, Daco. We've down Prescott, Wickenburg, and Payson on the Shadows. Looking forward to taking the XC through them as well.

·
Registered
12,299 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts