Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ImageUploadedByMO Free1402084596.786229.jpg

The backrest is the same with the exception of the thicker rubber at the forward mounting point and the third hole for mounting the luggage rack.
Looks like the old racks will still work.
Luggage racks are still enroute, so no pictures yet.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Got mine the other day. One other thing I noticed is the nuts for the locking hinge and security bolts are now a copper color and not silver. Kind of stands out but nothing a trip to the hardware store will not solve. I am also not sure if the old luggage rack will work because the bottom two holes may be spaced a littler further out.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Holes are spaced differently. Old rack will not fit nohow, noway.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I'm confused, they will only replace the back rest if you've had a Victory luggage rack bolted to it. They are only replacing the back rest that will not accept their luggage rack because the bolt pattern is different?! Are they also replacing the luggage rack with one with that matches the updated back rests bolt pattern?

Tech23

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
They are replacing old back rests and luggage racks with new back rests and luggage racks. They will also just replace the backrest only. Some on here are saying that is not so but they will (and should).

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Ricz, have you tried the backrest luggage rack? just curious? another member here bought a luggage rack backrest combo from a guy that had the backrest replaced, but it has an old style aftermarket rack on it, wonder if the holes were redrilled?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
VegasVic,
What is the spacing on the holes for the luggage rack? A measured showing center to center or inside to inside will help solve the puzzle of whether or not aftermarket racks will fit.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Holes are spaced differently. Old rack will not fit nohow, noway.
I think this sums it up on the old fitting the new....
Drilling holes would weaken the backrest and defeat the purpose of replacing the backrest IMHO.
If you are wanting to use the old style luggage rack I would just keep the old style backrest. There have been no "real" issues I have ever seen. It's just lawyers covering Polaris' azz.
Just don't overload it....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Went to my Dealer today and told them that when I bought my bike form them in 2011, I got a backrest and luggage rack with the 1000 accessory incentive I got as part of the purchase. i used the luggage rack for a year or so but didn't like the look so I sold it. I was told that without the luggage rack..I will not be covered. I showed them the letter from Victory and explained things but they will not budge on it unless I bring in both a Victory Branded luggage rack along with my backrest.... I guess I am screwed !!

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Went to my Dealer today and told them that when I bought my bike form them in 2011, I got a backrest and luggage rack with the 1000 accessory incentive I got as part of the purchase. i used the luggage rack for a year or so but didn't like the look so I sold it. I was told that without the luggage rack..I will not be covered. I showed them the letter from Victory and explained things but they will not budge on it unless I bring in both a Victory Branded luggage rack along with my backrest.... I guess I am screwed !!
WOW! That sounds like Polaris is trying to make some of their money back by selling Vic branded luggage racks
If you're really concerned, try a different dealer (or 2,3,4). This recall has dealers all over the place.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
They are replacing old back rests and luggage racks with new back rests and luggage racks. They will also just replace the backrest only. Some on here are saying that is not so but they will (and should).
This ^^^is not 100% true. My dealer and my phone calls with Ma Vic are 180 out from this. They will only replace the BR if you have a Victory LR. Game, set match...for me anyway. I agree that they should replace all BRs, regardless of whether or not you have a LR, but such is not always the case. Seems that it really depends on your dealer and what they are willing to do for you.

Same for me. No Victory LR, back rest does not get replaced. I can purchase a new Victory LR and get my BR replaced at no cost, but without the LR, no BR. Period.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
This ^^^is not 100% true. My dealer and my phone calls with Ma Vic are 180 out from this. They will only replace the BR if you have a Victory LR. Game, set match...for me anyway. I agree that they should replace all BRs, regardless of whether or not you have a LR, but such is not always the case. Seems that it really depends on your dealer and what they are willing to do for you.

If you read the recall letter it plainly states that if you have or have ever had a luggage rack on your backrest then it qualifies. I had one on mine for a short period of time last summer so that is why I took mine in to be replaced and dealer had no problem with it. I had no proof that I ever purchased one because my original dealers bill of sale to me just had one price and didn't list all the extras I had bought. I would push harder if I were you guys or find a different dealer.

·
Registered
483 Posts
How does any of this apply to secondhand owners ? or does it at all ?

I just bought a 2012 Cross Road,5000 miles..w/ the OEM chrome backrest, no luggage rack. How does this affect me ?

What is it that fails ?

I want to add a simple rack..just for supporting a small "T" bag.
I made an aluminum hoop, that will attach to the two holes each side of the rest. it will be on & used only for travel...easy on & off.

Is this / how is this ?...going to cause a backrest fail?

Ron

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
Too much weight on the Luggage Rack causes stress fractures on the front mounting arm of the backrest.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts