Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK , got a tune from KMC in April . Bike ran , and runs strong still but has developed a ping under hard acceleration . Timing wheel is set at +4 and the PCV timing @ 80% and 100% was also at +4 . I have since dropped the PCV advance in different stages and still had the ping . I ended up at 80% +1 100% +2 and thought I had it solved , but had a ping today when ripping it up on the freeway @ 55F temps . Never had this ping till a month ago or so with Mamma on the back and hot temps at the time . Spoke with KevinX and he had some things to check , all checks out OK . I always use the highest octane available (usually 93) Don't understand why this is happening , going to zero out the PCV timing when I get home tonight . If its still present I will have to start chipping away at the timing wheel advance ....Any suggestions ? Faulty PCV maybe ? I'm tapped on this one .

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you read my mind? Mags I'm going to text you. My bike is now doing the exact same thing.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
Did you lose power? Timing wheel adjustment come loose?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I didnt notice any power loss with mine but I feel like the engine noise is getting slightly louder each day. I started panicking thinking the PCV died and I am starting to run lean but I am not noticing any power change at the throttle. I also noticed I dont really hear anything when the bike is idling other than the normal sounds it makes. I checked yesterday for exhaust leaks to see if I had a cracked head pipe but they looked fine.

Also I noticed that the sound change is primarily between 2 and 3 on the rpm range.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Did you lose power? Timing wheel adjustment come loose?
I am going to recheck the timing wheel tonight since I am also now realizing it feels more luggish (if thats a word) in lower rpm range.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
not questioning here, but your 100% sure its ping right?? i had a guy asking me about his, he swore it was ping, turned out to be engine noise and not ping.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
fastest thing to do is swap the stock wheel and go got a ride.

·
Super Moderator
6,374 Posts
I figured that would be one of the things kx asked to check...

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
not questioning here, but your 100% sure its ping right?? i had a guy asking me about his, he swore it was ping, turned out to be engine noise and not ping.
When I was running +3 80 and +3 100 I would have a slight hesitation an instant before I heard the ping , it sounds like rocks being slung though the front fender . As I have been lowering the timing and riding the noise has subsided , I thought I had it cured before this mornings run ....

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured that would be one of the things kx asked to check...
He was primarily concerned about a vacuum leak ... Cant find one , all hoses connected and tight .... Intake boot is sound .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
fastest thing to do is swap the stock wheel and go got a ride.
I could just drop the Lloyds unit to 0 too , unless the molecules in his wheel have morphed somehow .:devil But I have noticed diminishing noise as I have backed off the PCV timing . Usually occurs between 3800 - 4800 or so RPM's in second or third gear when pulling hard .... I just cant wrap my head around what is causing this , I called Kyle @ KMC and he isn't taking calls right now so I cant ask him . Prolly on his way back from Sturgis .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
turned out to be engine noise and not ping.
If this is engine noise , I would be fairly alarmed right now .... This doesn't occur randomly , its close to full throttle under a load at high rpm's .... Noise lasts merely a second or so .

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry for all the posts , trying to lay out as much accurate info as possible , so I can get good info in return . May have to just get it to Kyle for a test ride and check over , but would like to solve this in a more timely fashion . I cant even get in touch with him at this time .

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Similar thing happened to me when I had my bike dyno tuned locally. Major ping under heavy load. I zero'd everything in the map and let the Autotune do it's job. Bike never ran better and I never get ping.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Similar thing happened to me when I had my bike dyno tuned locally. Major ping under heavy load. I zero'd everything in the map and let the Autotune do it's job. Bike never ran better and I never get ping.
Silvr , what was / is your timing wheel set at ?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
plus 2

FWIW, I'm averaging 47 mpg
Did you ever have it at +4 and moved it to +2 because you had to , and did your bike ping right from the time you got the tune or did it seem to develop over time such as mine seems to have ? Thanks brother .

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Did you ever have it at +4 and moved it to +2 because you had to , and did your bike ping right from the time you got the tune or did it seem to develop over time such as mine seems to have ? Thanks brother .
I had it at +4 last year. This was when I was toying with different settings and before I got the PCV/Autotune ... I settled on +2.

Got the PCV/Autotune and played around with some maps provided by certain members here (names withheld to protect the innocent LOL) but I really wanted a dyno tune because that's what everyone was doing LOL

Got the tune and the ping was there right from the first time I put a good load on the engine. I played around with the map settings and almost got rid of the ping but the bike didn't seem to run quite right. Even right after the tune it didn't seem to run quite right. So I just zero'd everything and let the Autotune work. I did save the first run but haven't touched it since then. I went to California back in June and there were times when I was running the bike pretty hard. Temps down there were 105 - 110 ... bike ran like a top all the time.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
FWIW; I have the PC-V set to 0 degrees advance and the timing wheel at +4. It works pretty good.

Just for grins Mags; could you rub some soap on both sides of your drive belt? Just want to eliminate that issue for sure. It fooled me a couple of weeks ago and sounded like something coming out of the primary. I had forgotten how much the small belt noises could resonate through the bike.

One last thought; is it at all possible you got some bad gas? That would definitely make it do this all of sudden like.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts