Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a ping usually in 4-5 gear and starts low in the rpms (as soon as I get in the gear). When I first got the bike it didn't seem to do it, I'm thinking maybe carbon buildup? I have tried all kind of different fuel, and I just added some techron to the tank last weekend, going to try to run a couple tanks through it with the additive. It's a 2005 hammer all stock except swept pipes. Anyone have any insight?

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
if you owned this bike since new then you know its stock. when did this start, early vic's require throttle body cleaning, vid's on the witchdoctor i believe. premium fuel can control ping, depending on mileage a fuel quality carbon could be an issue. additives although good prolly won't work that fast

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
So I have a ping usually in 4-5 gear and starts low in the rpms (as soon as I get in the gear). When I first got the bike it didn't seem to do it, I'm thinking maybe carbon buildup? I have tried all kind of different fuel, and I just added some techron to the tank last weekend, going to try to run a couple tanks through it with the additive. It's a 2005 hammer all stock except swept pipes. Anyone have any insight?
Curious, do you use premium?

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
are you sure its stock except the pipes , how about the tune ?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Curious, do you use premium?
I usually run premium. I don't know for sure if the bike is actually 100% stock as I just got it a few months ago. Although I don't seem to remember a ping, especially as bad as it is now. The ping started probably a couple weeks ago if I had to guess.

·
12,968 Posts
like they said clean the throttle bodys. Pick up some carb cleaner at auto store.
Does the bike ping when you get on it hard? Are you in the right gear for what your doing.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I usually run premium. I don't know for sure if the bike is actually 100% stock as I just got it a few months ago. Although I don't seem to remember a ping, especially as bad as it is now. The ping started probably a couple weeks ago if I had to guess.
Could it be related to getting crappy cheap gas from one particular station? I always fill up at the same place cause the only other station is 35 miles away?? That sort of thing.

I read here that you get about 1 gallon of regular when you select premium at a pump that doesn't have a dedicated premium pump.
Which makes sense and so even if you buy premium at one of the 3 in one pumps you are actually probably getting mid grade at best in a tank as small as a bikes.

If cleaning the throttle body applies to your bike I'd would do that of course. Apparently it is a known issue with some year bikes.

If I could make the ping go away by changing to a different brand of premium I would first do that and then I would run the s**t out of it for a week or two being sure that it doesn't ping in the process. Don't over rev it just run it hard whenever you can.

However if it does continues to ping after cleaning the throttle body if applicable, and insuring you have real premium in the tank I don't recommend running the cr*p out of it that till you address whatever the actual problem is.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could it be related to getting crappy cheap gas from one particular station? I always fill up at the same place cause the only other station is 35 miles away?? That sort of thing.

I read here that you get about 1 gallon of regular when you select premium at a pump that doesn't have a dedicated premium pump.
Which makes sense and so even if you buy premium at one of the 3 in one pumps you are actually probably getting mid grade at best in a tank as small as a bikes.

If cleaning the throttle body applies to your bike I'd would do that of course. Apparently it is a known issue with some year bikes.

If I could make the ping go away by changing to a different brand of premium I would first do that and then I would run the s**t out of it for a week or two being sure that it doesn't ping in the process. Don't over rev it just run it hard whenever you can.

However if it does continues to ping after cleaning the throttle body if applicable, and insuring you have real premium in the tank I don't recommend running the cr*p out of it that till you address whatever the actual problem is.
I have tried a few different gas stations. I first noticed the ping after filling up at a station with individual pump nozzles. I thought it was bad gas so I stopped and added a gallon of CAM2 110. Ping was still there. Once that tank was out I filled up with a full tank of 93 from a different station. Still pinging. So I'm thinking carbon or like said dirty TB's. I am going to pull the tb's tomorrow and give that a try.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
How low in RPMs do you run in top gear? You don't want to go under 2,000 RPM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm not sure actual speed vs rpm but even about 2500 and up in 5th I am still getting pinging. I spend some time past the 12 o clock position on the tach on the back roads.

·
Registered
12,146 Posts
If you suspect carbon build up, Seafoam should be a better job of cleaning that up than Techron.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you suspect carbon build up, Seafoam should be a better job of cleaning that up than Techron.

That's the thing. I have done considerable research on cleaning methods and have used seafoam in the past, through the IM(more times than I can recall), and everything I come up with through BITOG and other channels show seafoam is a smoke show (literally and figuratively). The best alternatives I can find are piston soaks and water decarbs. Usually the water decarbs are done on cars and I haven't dug deep enough to see if there is a viable vacuum source to pull water/seafoam/whatever into the motor.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
You can use a spray bottle to spray water in to the throttle body But I would want to rule out an air leak or lean mixture etc.

Sorry I really don't know how to do that other than stop by a shop with a dyno and ask them to run it with a sniffer up the pipe. Do check the rubber caps and lines for cracks etc. If you find anything like that look closer there are probably more.

Have you had the plugs out to look if they are showing excessive carbon? Not over heated? That they are reasonably same?
Somewhere in the normal range?
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/faqs/faqread.asp

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingguide/sparkplugs/plugcolorchart.htm
Have you checked that the plugs are the correct plugs. That the previous owner didn't put in a hotter plug for some reason. Stranger things do happen.

Another thought have you checked that all the heat shields are tight and that none have broke the spot welds where the clamps go through or are ringing off one another where they overlap.
At speed it is hard to distinguish pinging from ringing metal sometimes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the plugs the other day the indeed have a bit of carbon fouling. I will change the plugs this weekend and clean the tb's and report back.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
if it has idled or been ridden slow at all the plugs will be black

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So I don't think this is the noise but I pulled the belt guard off today (going for stripped down look) and obviously the belt has been slapping the guard. If I push the belt hard I can get it to touch. This is cold belt cold pulleys. From what I read the belt tightens as the pulleys expand. Anyway, have plugs coming tomorrow and pulling the tank to clean tb's as well.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Hopefully that is it.
Belts have to be pretty loose to hit the guard and usually they are hitting something else too at that point.
Never know.
Would be great if that is all it was. You might want to take it out before you clean the throttle body to be sure you haven't fixed it.

Otherwise you could be cleaning your throttle body every time your belt gets loose in the future and not getting the results you had hoped for.

·
Premium Member
8,699 Posts
Hopefully that is it.
Belts have to be pretty loose to hit the guard and usually they are hitting something else too at that point.
Never know.
Would be great if that is all it was. You might want to take it out before you clean the throttle body to be sure you haven't fixed it.

Otherwise you could be cleaning your throttle body every time your belt gets loose in the future and not getting the results you had hoped for.

Good advice.
Also if you do clean yr throttle body when you restart I'd leave your old sparkplugs in for a short while to clear the carb cleaner out and give the new plugs a nice fresh start

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Good advice.
Also if you do clean yr throttle body when you restart I'd leave your old sparkplugs in for a short while to clear the carb cleaner out and give the new plugs a nice fresh start
Thanks for the tip, that makes sense. I was gonna do everything at once but I will clean the tb's then take it down the road and blow it out. Then put the new plugs in. I am hoping it will fix the issue. I have a station down the road that sells non ethanol (@4.00/gal) that I may try. Although I have read a lot of folks run 89 from anywhere if the bike is running correctly.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts