Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys here's the deal ...Kevinx please chime in...

I am getting very frustrated and fed up with my dealer and my bike.

I have 2009 Vic jackpot. Vic swept exhaust and s&s breather&download. I bought the bike less then 1 month ago with roughly 1600 miles. Since the day I rode it home I have had a ping issue. I origninally thought bad gas I ran till almost empty and topped of with premium. 91-93 oct depending on station around here. Still had ping. This happens when i am in 5 and 6 gear mainly with a slight roll on throttle easily notice when running about 60mph but notice it with any roll on condition at any speed/gear. Just notice it more in upper gears cause lets face it 1-4 usually is hard to stay out of throttle.;) I returned to my dealer to tell him my issue and was told quote " vice don't ping". After sending his tech on a test ride after I pretty much got pissed off, the tech verified that my bike has a pIng. I was told they would contact Vic . Days went by and I didn't here anything so I returned with the bike very frustrated still and finally got them to check the map to verify it was the correct download. According to my dealer it was. I made them contact Vic as I was there about this issue and he said his rep told him to run Vic carbon clean through it. I have run 2 tanks through now and my problem is still there. Once again I contact my dealer. Keep in mind I'm dealing with the owner of the dealership. I was then told this is a normal cOndtion and that I would have to deal with it. The only thing I could do was possibly put a fuel programmer on it to correct it. I had to save up the money and a week later I bought the programmer . They were to busy to install it and it would be another week to week n half before they could install so I installed it myself this weekend. ( programmer is a Dobeck ejk gen3.. Same as llyods and ness big shot and many others private named.). It does not matter what I do I can not get the ping to go away. I have even went to the pOint of maxing out my green and yellow fuel bands and it's still there. It will not gO away or even get better. Please help. I'm going back to the dealer this week and want to be armed with as much info as I can be. I'm not new when it comes to wrenching I have been around the block build many different motors and I would have thought this to be an easy fix. Boy was I wrong.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well, your dealer is right about one thing, it shouldn't be pinging. Other than that they seem kinda disinterested.

Assuming that you aren't one of those guys that rolls on the throttle at 2000 rpms in 6th gear and complains of pinging, and assuming that the fueling is spot on then I'd say you have something going on
internally with the motor.

I don't think there is any "bolt on" things that are going to solve this. You shouldn't have to be adding fuel controllers and it's not like the timing can get out of whack.

Last time I heard of this it turned out that one of the heads was smaller by 6cc's thus bumping the compression up on one cylinder. Either that or you have a valve/carbon issue.

Get prepped for a pain in the ass if you have a crappy dealer. In the meantime no loads (roll-ons) on the motor under 3K rpms.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, your dealer is right about one thing, it shouldn't be pinging. Other than that they seem kinda disinterested.

Assuming that you aren't one of those guys that rolls on the throttle at 2000 rpms in 6th gear and complains of pinging, and assuming that the fueling is spot on then I'd say you have something going on
internally with the motor.

I don't think there is any "bolt on" things that are going to solve this. You shouldn't have to be adding fuel controllers and it's not like the timing can get out of whack.

Last time I heard of this it turned out that one of the heads was smaller by 6cc's thus bumping the compression up on one cylinder. Either that or you have a valve/carbon issue.

Get prepped for a pain in the ass if you have a crappy dealer. In the meantime no loads (roll-ons) on the motor under 3K rpms.

Gentleman , thank u both to your input. I really hope this is an easy fix. I thought about timing and am going to bring that up.

I have heard the ping in 3,4,5,6 gear. Even when in 6th a typically roll on is still minimum 2500rpm. I am going to my dealer here in a few hours after I get a few hours sleep. I am going to have him put a stock download back in since I have the fuel controller now. To see if that helps. I will check the comp on both cylinders before I take it to them. What should comp be on a 2009 jackpot with 106 motor.

·
Premium Member
4,875 Posts
The newer 106" motors do not have high compression, in fact it is less than the older 100" motors. Your problem is not too much compression.

Are you buying gas at the same place every time? There are 2 gas stations here where I can't use their fuel or the bike pings on roll-on. Anyplace else, and it runs fine on 92 octane and it's 11:1 compression.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Timing is fixed, there is nothing the dealer can do to change that.
Compression ratio and head volume cannot be determined by a compression tester despite that tools name.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The newer 106" motors do not have high compression, in fact it is less than the older 100" motors. Your problem is not too much compression.

Are you buying gas at the same place every time? There are 2 gas stations here where I can't use their fuel or the bike pings on roll-on. Anyplace else, and it runs fine on 92 octane and it's 11:1 compression.
I have gotten fuel from 4 diff filling stations and have even went to the extent of adding oct boost . I have also ran two tanks of fuel with the Victory carbon cleaner in it. It's really making me mad. If I wanted to work on something everytime I rode I would bought an HD ! On the bright side I have the remainder of the extended svc contract from the previous owner until. 7/31/12 :).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timing is fixed, there is nothing the dealer can do to change that.
Compression ratio and head volume cannot be determined by a compression tester despite that tools name.
I understand the timing is fixed... But would it change from map to map? It has the s&s download in it now by chance would they been dumb enough to put the map in say from Vic with a 100 cube instead of 106? At this point I'm not ruling anything out.. How my should comp vary from cyl to cyl?

·
Registered
545 Posts
On the bright side I have the remainder of the extended svc contract from the previous owner until. 7/31/12 :).
This is where I would have started... call the previous owner and ask him his experience with the bike and dealer. Also, ask to see the previous service records to verify any problems that have been ongoing since the bike was new. Write down all names and their positions with the dealer or Victory... this isn't a problem that just appeared out of nowhere. And isn't a problem that should be ignored without backup from the people telling you to ignore it!

·
Registered
403 Posts
I understand the timing is fixed... But would it change from map to map? It has the s&s download in it now by chance would they been dumb enough to put the map in say from Vic with a 100 cube instead of 106? At this point I'm not ruling anything out.. How my should comp vary from cyl to cyl?
That is a good thought. Verify the map, and like you said rule EVERYTHING out before getting into the motor. It may end up being something stupid and simple, but that hasn't been my personal experience in the past.
Handy is right too - get records and history. That may tell a lot.
Compresion should be more than 180. You may see a small variance between cylinders maybe 5-10 is normal, but I dunno if the comp test will show you anything in this situation.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is where I would have started... call the previous owner and ask him his experience with the bike and dealer. Also, ask to see the previous service records to verify any problems that have been ongoing since the bike was new. Write down all names and their positions with the dealer or Victory... this isn't a problem that just appeared out of nowhere. And isn't a problem that should be ignored without backup from the people telling you to ignore it!
Bike was bought from dealer. With 1600 miles. The bike is an 2009 . There is no svc records but a first svc

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update... Just left dealer no further then I was. Have an appointment for wed. To reflag ECM and see if tht help. In the mean time I will check comp. dealer is supposed to be contacting victory again along with previous owner to see if he had issues and where he took for service to see if we can get more info

·
Registered
156 Posts
Just an idea, but are you using the S&S download as well as your fuel controller you installed?
I was at a local dealership last year looking at an S&S intake, and the dealer said it would be better to use a fuel controller instead of the supplied download due to they have had several of them be corrupt.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Bike was bought from dealer. With 1600 miles. The bike is an 2009 . There is no svc records but a first svc
I understood that you bought the bike from a dealer and that it was used and that it had 1600 miles on it, but you can still talk to the previous owner if you want to... just run a carfax or vin check to see who it was registered to if the dealer won't give you the guys name and phone number. PS... if the dealer has a problem with you contacting the previous owner there is usually something fishy going on. With only 1600 miles there should of only been the initial 500 mile service... but with what you are describing the bike may have been in on more than that one occasion... have a different dealer run a warranty service history for you.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just an idea, but are you using the S&S download as well as your fuel controller you installed?
I was at a local dealership last year looking at an S&S intake, and the dealer said it would be better to use a fuel controller instead of the supplied download due to they have had several of them be corrupt.
The dealer will be reflashing the ECM on wed. Hopefully that will fix it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I understood that you bought the bike from a dealer and that it was used and that it had 1600 miles on it, but you can still talk to the previous owner if you want to... just run a carfax or vin check to see who it was registered to if the dealer won't give you the guys name and phone number. PS... if the dealer has a problem with you contacting the previous owner there is usually something fishy going on. With only 1600 miles there should of only been the initial 500 mile service... but with what you are describing the bike may have been in on more than that one occasion... have a different dealer run a warranty service history for you.
I have the previous owners name off of the old title. The bike was purchased new from the dealer I bougt it from And was traded back in on a cross country this past winter. I am going to try to get a # and give him a call if this is not fixed soon. To my knowledge all svc work has been done at this dealer

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I have the same ping, but was told it was the torque compensator. I run Sunoco 93 only, I have attempted to use the 100 octane in the pump next to mine to see the difference. I'm concerned that if I start, the bike and I won't be able to go back plus it's $8.98 a gallon.
I was told to only use six gear when I'm above 70 say 80 - 90...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have the same ping, but was told it was the torque compensator. I run Sunoco 93 only, I have attempted to use the 100 octane in the pump next to mine to see the difference. I'm concerned that if I start, the bike and I won't be able to go back plus it's $8.98 a gallon.
I was told to only use six gear when I'm above 70 say 80 - 90...
Torque compensator??? Never heard of such a thing but don't mean there isn't one. In my past experience a ping or Preignition conditions if from a lean fuel condition or having the timing to far advanced...either way. Pinging is not good on the motor and could lead to extreme engine failure... If I was only noticing it in 6 gear I would probably consider it being my riding habits or something of that nature but I have noticed it in 3,4,5 and 6.
I will get to the bottom of this. I'm not upset wit victory as much as I am my dealer . This is my second victory I own . My hammer does not do this. I can 6 gear At 30-40 mph and not have and issue with pinging . It's just sluggish.

If anyone tells u this is a normal condition or that it's just nature of the beast I would call bs. Pinging is not normal. and that should not be an accepted answer .

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the education lesson. I did read up on them a bit and this doesn't sound like my issue. From what I read any noises would tend to be towards the lower end of the case and possibly trans area . Ad more of a "rattle". The noise I am getting is a metallic knock an it's clearly sounds from the top the combustion chamber. It can even be heard in the exhaust note.

As I said I just hadn't heard of the torque compensator. Greatly appreciate the input and the feed back. Ibdont think mu dealer likes me having all this info on my side :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts