Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a lot of threads here where the term "pinging" is used .... "if it's pinging, then it's too lean"... etc, etc

Now, I know what pinging sounds like in a cage ... "click-click-click" or "ping-ping-ping" real fast. Is this the sound y'all are talkin about? ... -OR- is it more like a "clack-clack-clack" ???

Anyone got a sound clip of what your scoot sounds like when it is pinging?

My bike "clacks" at certain rpms .... is it pinging or is it just valve train "clatter"??

(clickety-clack, clickety-clack, railroad track) :D

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Silvr , I get the valve train clackety clack , from 2900 RPM's on up ... Even with no load on my motor the valve train racket is much more pronounced at higher RPM's. Been there since new, I have heard all the 106's have some sort of valve noise in general. I believe when you have excessive pinging , it almost sounds like a jar of marbles rattling around. Kind of like a loud diesel motor running...

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
if it sounds like a jar of marbles rattling around then I'd say it's pinging really really bad. On V8, V6 or even the 4 banger, it may sound like marbles rattling around in a jar because you have 8, 6 or 4 "jars" with a marble in it. In our case we only have 2 "jars." I'd describe it as a jar with A marble bouncing around or a few rocks getting kicked up in the front fender.

You're right...just not quite that bad.

When I was lowering my timing down trying to find the spot where it wouldn't ping, I thought I had it but going up a fairly steep hill and giving it heavy throttle, it pinged but it wasn't bad at all. It sounded like 1 rock got kicked up in the front fender.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ahhhhhhh... so the scoot "ping" is much the same as a cage "ping" then and my "clacking" is obviously the valve train.

Gonna start wearing my 3/4 helmet, cranking the tunes, and running loud exhaust so I can't hear it... LOL

What's strange is that some days I hardly notice it and others .... geeeesh ... I'm expecting some internals to blow out the side LOL

·
13,235 Posts
you don't say if your bike is stock or what mods you have done to it.
Never hold back information it will only hurt you. Read my bold print and please do it.

Pinging is a out of the normal sound and it is kinda like a chirping sound. It should only happen under a load like going up a step hill or accelerating hard. You all most never hear it on flat ground at normal cruising.
If you go up a step hill and you think you hear it drop down a gear and if the sound goes away then yes it was pining.

What do you get for gas mileage? If its below 45 mpg then I would say no you don't have pinging.
Go to a dealer and ride a nought bike and compair sounds would be a good deal.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
ahhhhhhh... so the scoot "ping" is much the same as a cage "ping" then and my "clacking" is obviously the valve train.
It's very likely what you hear is the valves. I think all of us have asked about the noise on our Vics and if it's normal or not because most of us came from something quieter. It is normal and will begin to fade after you put a few thousand miles on it. While I still hear mine, it's no where near as loud after a few oil changes. At first I was a bit embarassed wondering if everybody can hear me clacking.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's very likely what you hear is the valves. I think all of us have asked about the noise on our Vics and if it's normal or not because most of us came from something quieter. It is normal and will begin to fade after you put a few thousand miles on it. While I still hear mine, it's no where near as loud after a few oil changes. At first I was a bit embarassed wondering if everybody can hear me clacking.
I've got just under 13,000 kilometers on mine now since I bought it in May 14th with only 3 km.

Just needed to clarify what was "ping" and what was "clack" LOL

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I've got just under 13,000 kilometers on mine now since I bought it in May 14th with only 3 km.

Just needed to clarify what was "ping" and what was "clack" LOL
Oh, in that case, your clack is probably going to be the clack from here out. :D

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Bike ping and car ping will be the same, ping is pretty much ping. The ping i got sounded just as described, like a rock up the fender.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Why would anyone think sickle ping is different than cage ping?
Is it because you don't lean when you're in your cage?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why would anyone think sickle ping is different than cage ping?
Is it because you don't lean when you're in your cage?
it's because gull poop is different than raven poop .... :ltr:

·
Premium Member
259 Posts
Yep gravel on a fender or tapping a ring on metal...a chirp is not pinging. A high pitched hum is normal.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
busajack, now that there is a solid, clearly written primer. Should be a quiz for comprehension before tweaking timing or pumping regular in the tank.

·
Administrator
5,988 Posts
I always thought it sounds like...if you had a dried human skeleton on a hanger and gave it a shake.
Now that's a sound we are all familiar with. :ltr: cheers

·
Registered
102 Posts
so is a motor more likely to cold ping or hot ping?

Normally timing is retarded on cold motors for easier starting.

Not sure if our motors are that fancy or well tuned but lately I've been getting what sounds like a cold engine knock which is different than a ping.

Don't start me on the whatchamacallit's :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts