Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Pinging after trip

Just came back from a long trip, had to use 87 octane from some stations and hitting some big hills and basicly unload at 2800 rpm and above I'm getting some pinging. I generally always have my tunes on and or earplugs for long trips so I don't know how long its been happening but gotta get fixed up.
2016 CCT Drew Miller mufflers,
Loyd's air cleaner ,
1/4 turn throttle ring,
Loyd's timing wheel set at +4 ,
PCV & Auto tune,
ignition set at +2 above 2500 at 40%-80% then +4 at 100 % ,
have been using AutoTune for past 25000 km ( haven't accepted or looked at AT map since 17000 km )

I put on about 4000km with the lower octane gas ( most times )
What I'm wondering is should I try running a couple tanks of 91 octane or higher through before adjusting the ignition timing in the map and see what happens?
Thanks

·
Registered
483 Posts
If it doesn't ping with higher octane gas one option would be to carry an octane booster while out on the road for those times you have to go with 87. I'm sure you have room for a couple bottles.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
A RICZ laydown license plate bracket will stop that pinging, improve HP & torque, and make your bike an irresistible chick magnet. Click the link in my sig. Also try shifting above 3K rpms.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A RICZ laydown license plate bracket will stop that pinging, improve HP & torque, and make your bike an irresistible chick magnet. Click the link in my sig. Also try shifting above 3K rpms.
Haha funny, I already got one from you , no what so ever but I'm pretty sure last week when I rode the Toll hiway with the tour pack on I got away for free. :laugh

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it doesn't ping with higher octane gas one option would be to carry an octane booster while out on the road for those times you have to go with 87. I'm sure you have room for a couple bottles.
Ok so what your saying is run a tank through first before trying any changes. :smile
I'm just hoping I did no severe damage.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
I hate to ask, does it take much to hole a piston?
Yes. Because the sounds you are hearing are rapid explosions occurring in the combustion chambers, instead of a slower burn that's supposed to happen. The higher the octane, the slower the burn. Using regular when premium is required ignites too fast, causing explosions/pinging and can burn pistons and valves.
Because I am always suspicious of the gas I get on the road, especially in small towns, I like to keep my ears available to hear the sounds the bike makes, like tires of the pavement, the engine and for pinging. So no music, except that emanating from the pipes.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Ok so what your saying is run a tank through first before trying any changes. :smile
I'm just hoping I did no severe damage.
I think I would. If you're all good with better gas I think you'll be good with packing octane booster for those times you have to run regular.

I've been concerned about getting some pinging myself. My 13 is at +4 and I usually run mid grade. Now that we're seeing hotter temps I was concerned it may start but so far so good. Fingers crossed!

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Its the noise of the flame front hitting the piston before it reaches top dead centre.
Its like a big hammer hitting your pistons and tryna force em back down before they get to the top.
Either use better fuel or retard your timing enough to stop it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just for conversation sake if you lived in an area where there was strictly 87 you would always have to add the octane boost? Would the cost of Octane boost be a good replacement?

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Just for conversation sake, if one lived in a 87 octane area, one should only buy vehicles that operate on it. If this is the case for you, I'd retard the timing until the pinging is gone. Which means you have to have your ears available to hear it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Just for conversation sake if you lived in an area where there was strictly 87 you would always have to add the octane boost? Would the cost of Octane boost be a good replacement?
I guess that all depends on how much the 87 cost there and what it works out to when you add the price of a booster. It may or may not be cost effective. Most likely I would think it wouldn't.

My suggestion was just a suggestion for times you can't get the gas you need. I didn't mean a person should do that regularly.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
Its the noise of the flame front hitting the piston before it reaches top dead centre.
Its like a big hammer hitting your pistons and tryna force em back down before they get to the top.
Either use better fuel or retard your timing enough to stop it.
Just for conversations sake,
How much is a full engine rebuild worth?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
booster-mix

Years ago I had a 1978 Triumph Bonneville. It was not completely stock. It had been bored out 0.030" , so it was larger and higher compression. So needless to say I had to run premium fuel. If it was hot out it would still knock under a good load or getting on it. So one of my friends back then had come across a book he bought. It was a book of formulas you could mix up yourself. So NO I do not remember the title,sorry. In this book was a formula for octain booster. You could buy the secret ingredients from the local drug store. It was affordable to make up and use, much cheaper than the store bought high dollar stuff. This stuff you mixed up a 5-gallon bucket of it. Then you took one cup of this and mixed it with five gallons of gas. It worked great. Wish I had saved the formula. Might be worth researching for you. NO I do not have that old Triumph it went to New Zealand years ago.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Just do a Google search for "Homemade octane booster" and you will get a zillion hits.

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
Have you considered buying a map switch for the power commander and then building an alternate set of maps for regular gas to use when you can't get premium when traveling?

Then no premium no problem. Fill with regular, flip the switch and your good to go. Bike takes care of itself that way. Yes you will have to develop another set of maps but it will surely be handy touring.

https://cart.dynojet.com/p-2162-pcv-map-switch.aspx

·
13,002 Posts
get the app puregas it will tell you where you can get top tier gas

if we new where you lived and model of bike it would help

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Have you considered buying a map switch for the power commander and then building an alternate set of maps for regular gas to use when you can't get premium when traveling?

Then no premium no problem. Fill with regular, flip the switch and your good to go. Bike takes care of itself that way. Yes you will have to develop another set of maps but it will surely be handy touring.

https://cart.dynojet.com/p-2162-pcv-map-switch.aspx
I do have a map switch installed but basicly just to turn Auto Tune off and on. I'm about done creating the map I've been working on for the past 25000 km but this is a very good idea ,what map AFR's would you suggest for a map of this sort? I attached what I'm using now for AFR's and timing.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts