Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
13,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most of you have unlimited data plan and will not care.
I'm cheap and contacted my provider and asked how I can play my recorded music and not use data. They said if I shut off data usage
( find under setting ) I will not use any usage. I can still get calls and do text messages.
Just no internet.
so know I'm going to download music from my ipod to the phone

Talk to your provider to make sure and don't forget to turn data usage back on

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I have an older phone that I use as my GPS (Garmin maps do not require a cell signal to work) and music player. Buy an old iPhone 4 and fill it up with music!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Playing music that's stored on your phone doesn't use cellular data. It's playing directly from the phonels internal flash memory or SD card, dependent on the device. Only streaming applications like Pandora or Shazam use your cellular data.

Lacy and I share 6 gigs a month and never go over...rarely use more than 4 GB. We run Pandora on all our long car trips. Music streaming really uses very little data. It's Netflix that'll get ya.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Playing music that's stored on your phone doesn't use cellular data. It's playing directly from the phonels internal flash memory or SD card, dependent on the device. Only streaming applications like Pandora or Shazam use your cellular data. <snip>
+1 on this. You are getting bad advice from whomever you spoke with on this issue. Playing music you already have stored on your phone uses ZERO data.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Unless he's using a service like Spotify, Pandora, etc...

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
I have an older phone that I use as my GPS (Garmin maps do not require a cell signal to work) and music player. Buy an old iPhone 4 and fill it up with music!
Look on Craigslist or any other online buy/sell site and look for an Ipod Touch. Looks like an Iphone 4 but isn't a phone and I got my 64 gig for 30 $ and it lives in the bag.

The 2nd generation Ipod touch also has bluetooth capabilities as well.

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know most of you have unlimited data plan and will not care.
I'm cheap and contacted my provider and asked how I can play my recorded music and not use data. They said if I shut off data usage
( find under setting ) I will not use any usage. I can still get calls and do text messages.
Just no internet.
so know I'm going to download music from my ipod to the phone

Talk to your provider to make sure and don't forget to turn data usage back on
if it is "recorded" (better word would be stored) on your phone, then it requires no data to listen to. I have many albums downloaded to my phone via youtube to mp3 converter website. I shut off my data all the time as I do not want constant espn and email alerts when I am in the car or on the bike.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
I do put my phone on airplane mode when I'm riding though. Not as if I can text while I'm riding, and I'm not about to fumble around to answer a call. Plus my battery lasts forever that way.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I do put my phone on airplane mode when I'm riding though. Not as if I can text while I'm riding, and I'm not about to fumble around to answer a call. Plus my battery lasts forever that way.
Answering phone is easy if you want to. Just push the button on the comm unit.:crying Or not

·
Registered
244 Posts
I've used Rhapsody Premier for quite a few years. Download anything and everything I want to my phone over WiFi and can listen anywhere without using data. $10 a month.

Reactions: DVega

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Answering phone is easy if you want to. Just push the button on the comm unit.:crying Or not
I just use a set of Samsung earbuds. the button to answer a call probably isn't 1/8" in diameter so i can't even feel it through my gloves, and the mic would catch nothing but wind noise anyway. I also have zero interest in having a conversation while i ride. That's riding time, not talking on the damn phone time. They can leave a message.

Reactions: DVega
1 - 11 of 11 Posts